Pay extra for towing a car

Cliz replied on 23/07/2018 17:51

Posted on 23/07/2018 17:51

I know that some traditionalists won't like this discussion but we have a motorhome and regularly tow a car in the UK.

We recently tried to book a CL at £15.00 per night but when I said that we towed a car the price was increased to £20.00 as our Polo was considered to be an additional car.

We queried the additional cost as a car towing a caravan takes up the same amount of space as a motorhome but were told that the count is by engines and that other people on the site would complain about us getting an additional facility at no extra cost.  We don't understand!

Has any one else encountered this problem?

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2018 18:06

Posted on 23/07/2018 18:06

It’s entirely up to CL owners how they charge. They don’t have to follow the club's own pricing structure where toads are accommodated foc.

The answer is probably to ask when you book and go elsewhere if the answer doesn’t please you.

I don’t understand your opening comment. undecided

moulesy replied on 23/07/2018 18:11

Posted on 23/07/2018 18:11

Not sure why "traditionalists" wouldn't like it. The simple answer is that what CL owners charge for is entirely up to them. We recently stayed a couple of nights at a lovely CL and were surprised when the quoted price was £2 more than that shown on the website.We discovered that secreted away in the latest handbook is a charge of £1 a night for dogs although it doesn't show up on the website. We chose to pay it because it was a good site where we wanted to be. At the end of the day you just have to decide if it's good value or not for yourself - if it is, fine, if not, there are always alternatives.  smile

hitchglitch replied on 23/07/2018 19:21

Posted on 23/07/2018 19:21

I have never understood why sites charge for dogs but in France, for example,  it seems to be universal. So, if you pay extra for a dog then I suppose paying extra for a car makes sense. I believe some CLs charge for an awning. Same thing.

Frankly, you wonder why CLs exist at all; the income from 5 vans for a few weeks is negligible and hardly worth the effort. Long may they continue though.

eurortraveller replied on 23/07/2018 19:48

Posted on 23/07/2018 19:48

Hi Cliz, I actually think the tradionalists will be rather pleased.

replied on 23/07/2018 20:00

Posted on 23/07/2018 19:21 by hitchglitch

I have never understood why sites charge for dogs but in France, for example,  it seems to be universal. So, if you pay extra for a dog then I suppose paying extra for a car makes sense. I believe some CLs charge for an awning. Same thing.

Frankly, you wonder why CLs exist at all; the income from 5 vans for a few weeks is negligible and hardly worth the effort. Long may they continue though.

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:00

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

moulesy replied on 23/07/2018 20:05

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:00 by

I too can't see how the income from just 5 pitches can really be worth the effort some CL and CS owners put int running them.  Maybe there is some other financial incentive.  Perhaps someone can explain.  

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:05

Many, like the one we stayed on last week, are owned by club members. Maybe just happy to put something back, or is that being too naive?

Tammygirl replied on 23/07/2018 20:20

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:20

I understand where the OP is coming from on this point. 

We are just on the point of going back to a caravan after 6 years owning a MH.

Like the OP we have at times been told that we will have to pay for the the car we towed. Our view was the same as the OP WHY! we were taking up less space, by using the car and not moving the MH we were doing far less damage to the grass. 

Even on Acsi it states that the price is for car/caravan/awning or car/tent or MH/awning if a car is to used then a charge could be made, Again WHY! we have in 6 years only been charged twice for doing so once in Holland and once in Germany. When we moved to a scooter on a trailer the same thing happened at 2 sites France and Spain, again WHY! still less space than a car/caravan/awning.

The ferry companies are no different, car/caravan goes cheaper than a single MH (much smaller) on some routes and much much cheaper than a MH towing a 3 mtr trailer again still less length than a car and caravan.

To the OP I understand and sympathise with you its not right, not fair but as the others have said regards a site be it a CL or full blown singing and dancing 5* place,  can do whatever they like yell the only thing you can do is state that you disagree with the charge and choose to go somewhere else. 

Each time we were told there was a charge we would challenge it, sometimes we won sometimes not, but we would only stay the one night if we had to pay and only then if it was to late to find somewhere else. 

replied on 23/07/2018 20:27

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:27

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

moulesy replied on 23/07/2018 20:34

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:27 by

I do realise that at the lower end of charges its hardly worth the bother  for the owner and always was but I think £20 for a CL is ludicrous no matter how its calculated but maybe we are not used to such prices..

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:34

David - why is £20 "ludicrous" for a CL with serviced pitches and toilet/shower facilities (and in some cases wifi) included equivalent to a club or commercial site charging maybe double that but everything on a smaller more relaxed scale? (Please remember we are comparing CLs  to other UK Sites. )

DavidKlyne replied on 23/07/2018 20:39

Posted on 23/07/2018 20:39

Extra charges are fine if they are made clear at the time of booking as they seem to have been. As customers we all have the option to refuse. At the end of the day it depends how much you particularly wanted to be on that site. As to justification for such charges that is a more difficult one to explain. £5 extra seems an excessive amount, an extra third on the base price of the CL. Just goes to show how straightforward the pricing structure is on a normal Club site!

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook