Moving over

MILOSON replied on 12/01/2017 21:21

Posted on 12/01/2017 21:21

We have finally sold our Caravan and now look to buy a Motorhome, well it is not an easy task. My first choice was the Fixed bed as we had one in our Caravan .Having seen a  few we found the fixed bed ones slightly compact. We did not want the over cabin bed as we are in our 60s so where do we go from there. We have seen a lovely Autocruise Stargaze and with the large lounge seating we feel this may be the one for us . If the Grandchildren come with us they can use the over cabin bed .Any help would be appreciated. We are keeping it on our drive and we cannot have anything over 20ft. The make is  a Peugeot .

MILOSON replied on 12/01/2017 21:47

Posted on 12/01/2017 21:47

We have looked and looked some of the Motorhomes in our price range are grubby and not nice this is a  2006 has lots of extras.. We travelled two hrs one way last sunday only to get there to find the Motorhome damp after my husband asked the question over the phone if the van was dry. I was not happy.This was Motorhome Depot and i would not buy from them.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/01/2017 22:04

Posted on 12/01/2017 22:04

Autocruise have quite a good name - especially the ones built before Swift took them over somewhere around 2008. You don't say how old it is or what size engine it has so I can't say anything about the base vehicle.

Has it got belted seats for your grandchildren to travel in?

If it's in good nick and suits you then go for it. If in doubt, don't.

MILOSON replied on 13/01/2017 09:59

Posted on 13/01/2017 09:59

Hi Tinwheeler,

its a 2006 Autocruise  Stargazer,it has a Tracvision electronic dome fitted and a eberspacher airtronic m d4 fitted too . I have asked the question regarding the seatbelts . And the height because of the dome on top .

MILOSON replied on 13/01/2017 10:06

Posted on 13/01/2017 10:06

Its 9ft 9 ins high and only two seatbelts which might be  problem can we only carry ourselves and no passengers 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/01/2017 14:39

Posted on 13/01/2017 14:39

You haven't said what size engine but I guess you've test driven it and are happy.

The law is very involved regarding carrying unbelted passengers in a motorhome and I wouldn't like to say what the facts are. Irrespective of whether it is legal to do so, do you really want your grandchildren to travel unrestrained in the MH? In the case of an accident they will be thrown around, might get thrown out of the vehicle and could become hurling missiles. I wouldn't do it but it's your choice. Have you also considered the effect on your payload if you carry extra passengers?

I see you are in your 60s and assume you have taken into account the restrictions applied to drivers over 70 regarding licences and vehicles with an all up weight over 3500kg.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here but hope you are being realistic.

N1805 replied on 13/01/2017 16:16

Posted on 13/01/2017 16:16

As far as the law & Insurance is concerned I know nothing about seatbelts it's probably best researched.  As already said extras reduce your payload whatever they may be. If buying from a dealer I would want to know about any warranty covering the motorhome.

MichaelT replied on 13/01/2017 16:32

Posted on 13/01/2017 16:32

For seat belts I believe the law says if they are fitted they must be used so as you do not have any you can sit in the other seats but at your own risk.  I would check with the relevant law though .  So you either go on your own or use your grand children as missiles if you have to stop quickly....

For the  eberspacher airtronic m d4, I hope its not as noisy as the one on a van on site in Bridlington over Christmas as that was on a complete opposite side of the site but we heard it all night even with windows shut so it must have been very loud in the van, have you heard it running yet?

InaD replied on 13/01/2017 17:18

Posted on 13/01/2017 16:32 by MichaelT

For seat belts I believe the law says if they are fitted they must be used so as you do not have any you can sit in the other seats but at your own risk.  I would check with the relevant law though .  So you either go on your own or use your grand children as missiles if you have to stop quickly....

For the  eberspacher airtronic m d4, I hope its not as noisy as the one on a van on site in Bridlington over Christmas as that was on a complete opposite side of the site but we heard it all night even with windows shut so it must have been very loud in the van, have you heard it running yet?

Posted on 13/01/2017 17:18

We were at Moreton-in-Marsh a couple of years ago where there was a MH with an Eberspacher quite a distance away.  I agree, Michael, we could hear that all the time.  

My OH went over to tell them that they'd left the lights on, on their bicycles.  He knocked, waited, knocked again, waited again, then knocked very hard and they heard him.  First thing they said was: sorry, the Eberspacher is really loud and so we didn't hear you knocking!

So I'd also say, be careful with that part of it.

Tammygirl replied on 13/01/2017 17:36

Posted on 13/01/2017 17:18 by InaD

We were at Moreton-in-Marsh a couple of years ago where there was a MH with an Eberspacher quite a distance away.  I agree, Michael, we could hear that all the time.  

My OH went over to tell them that they'd left the lights on, on their bicycles.  He knocked, waited, knocked again, waited again, then knocked very hard and they heard him.  First thing they said was: sorry, the Eberspacher is really loud and so we didn't hear you knocking!

So I'd also say, be careful with that part of it.

Posted on 13/01/2017 17:36

Totally agree about the noise of the Eberspacher we had one parked 3 pitches down and across from us in Spain, thankfully no heating was require but they put it on twice a day for the hot water. Using one of these overnight must be awful for all around and should be the same as generators off by 9pm. 

When we first looked at M/H's a couple we were talking to on site told us they had a diesel heater but they didn't use it because of the noise, they heated the van with a radiator instead.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook