Electric space heater

Another DaveB replied on 04/11/2021 09:22

Posted on 04/11/2021 09:22

We are just approaching our first winter in a Swift Select 184. We have a Truma dual energy water heater, but what we only realised last week for the first time was that the space heating is gas only. We had been expecting to be able to keep using the van during cold weather if we were using an electric hookup pitch, and run the water heater, space heater (and mini kettle to boot!) all off electric (though not necessarily at the same time!) to save on precious gas (for which we have still only been able to get 3.9kg cylinders).

So, coming to the point, for anyone who continues to use their van over winter, and doesn't have a built-in electric heater, what do you use to keep the space warm other than the gas?

The main choice seems to be between noisy but fast fan heaters & quiet but slow oil-filled heaters. However, I'm more particularly interested in actual models, with good/bad points from people's experience. There's a huge variety out there on the market of both types, not forgetting that 1kW is about 4A and 2kW twice that, and there are very few <1kW heaters (which would be slower to warm up a given space anyway).

Thanks!

brue replied on 04/11/2021 09:34

Posted on 04/11/2021 09:34

I presume you've double checked your heater doesn't work on dual supplies. When we bought our van we were told at the handover ours didn't work on gas...but it did.

Have you considered a convector heater, they are silent and warm the air well, lightweight too. If you get a 2kw one with a thermostat it should be OK. We've used one in a previous van. 

Tinwheeler replied on 04/11/2021 10:29

Posted on 04/11/2021 10:29

The spec for the 184 states it's dual fuel blown air heating🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The instruction book should tell all.

Cornersteady replied on 04/11/2021 10:37

Posted on 04/11/2021 10:37

My first caravan from 1999 had duel fuel so how old is your van? I'm not trying to suggest anything but are you sure? 

A convection heater as Brue says is your best option. I don't know about these things but is having a new heater installed possible or viable?

replied on 04/11/2021 10:59

Posted on 04/11/2021 10:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SeasideBill replied on 04/11/2021 11:24

Posted on 04/11/2021 11:24

Ideally a fan heater rated at less than 45dB otherwise you won’t be able to hear the TV!

If money is no object, there’s always those fancy bladeless fans from Dyson, virtually silent and very efficient

Another DaveB replied on 04/11/2021 11:57

Posted on 04/11/2021 11:57

Thanks for all the replies.

I have to say, I was originally convinced the warm air blower was dual energy too - I'm sure that's what I got from the original blurb. However, we were unable to switch it to use electricity.

The Truma control panel we have is this one: https://www.truma.com/dam/jcr:0f4d9fb3-9546-4c6c-8dc6-46d02bccbb58/truma-heating-cp-plus-operating-instructions-EN.pdf

As per pages 7/8, It allows you to select fuel (gas/lecky (2 settings)/mix (2 settings)). However, it also states that that mixed or electric modes are "Only possible with heaters that have electric heating elements e. g. Combi E CP plus ready."

So, we set the operating mode to EL2 (we were on a 16A EHU), and turned on the water heater. That appeared to function correctly. We then turned on the space heater, and the "flame" symbol appeared.

At which point, on going through the process again in my head, two things now occur to me. Firstly, was the heater on gas because the boiler was already on (electric)? I should really have tried with the boiler off to see what happened. Secondly, does the "flame" symbol simply mean that heating is on, and nothing to do with the fuel being used? Which would be another of those misunderstandings you get from daft iconised systems that don't include plain English text too!

Or, thirdly, might there be a malfunction or even bad design in the panel? After all, the panel's also got a clock and the ability to set time on/time off for heating/hot water. But since the clock doesn't get its time from the van, but resets itself to 00:00 every time you turn the engine on, it's fairly useless!

Anyway, I shall need to look into it further, try some things, and seek advice from the dealer/Truma before I rush out and get a separate electric heater.

Thanks again!

SeasideBill replied on 04/11/2021 12:13

Posted on 04/11/2021 12:13

The flame symbol will flash until the desired ‘room’ temperature is reached. Set fuel at EL1 or EL2 and set the thermostat to max - the flame icon should flash indicating the space heating is on.

Clock reset every time you turn the ignition on sounds wrong - the control unit should have permanent 12v supply. You’ll need to get that checked/sorted.

JVB66 replied on 04/11/2021 13:02

Posted on 04/11/2021 11:57 by Another DaveB

Thanks for all the replies.

I have to say, I was originally convinced the warm air blower was dual energy too - I'm sure that's what I got from the original blurb. However, we were unable to switch it to use electricity.

The Truma control panel we have is this one: https://www.truma.com/dam/jcr:0f4d9fb3-9546-4c6c-8dc6-46d02bccbb58/truma-heating-cp-plus-operating-instructions-EN.pdf

As per pages 7/8, It allows you to select fuel (gas/lecky (2 settings)/mix (2 settings)). However, it also states that that mixed or electric modes are "Only possible with heaters that have electric heating elements e. g. Combi E CP plus ready."

So, we set the operating mode to EL2 (we were on a 16A EHU), and turned on the water heater. That appeared to function correctly. We then turned on the space heater, and the "flame" symbol appeared.

At which point, on going through the process again in my head, two things now occur to me. Firstly, was the heater on gas because the boiler was already on (electric)? I should really have tried with the boiler off to see what happened. Secondly, does the "flame" symbol simply mean that heating is on, and nothing to do with the fuel being used? Which would be another of those misunderstandings you get from daft iconised systems that don't include plain English text too!

Or, thirdly, might there be a malfunction or even bad design in the panel? After all, the panel's also got a clock and the ability to set time on/time off for heating/hot water. But since the clock doesn't get its time from the van, but resets itself to 00:00 every time you turn the engine on, it's fairly useless!

Anyway, I shall need to look into it further, try some things, and seek advice from the dealer/Truma before I rush out and get a separate electric heater.

Thanks again!

Posted on 04/11/2021 13:02

The flame symbol just shows the heating is on and when flashing  it means it is heating it the same symbol for both gas and electric. ;

My OH thinks because it show a flame it is on gas mot was difficult to convince her otherwise ,even when I turned the gas cylinder offsurprised

Tinwheeler replied on 04/11/2021 13:13

Posted on 04/11/2021 13:13

JVB is right. The flame symbol indicates heating, not the fuel source.

If your Truma Combi is the 6E, it is definitely dual fuel. See my earlier post re the spec of the 184.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook