Elddis motorhome problems

crispypancake1 replied on 03/10/2016 13:43

Posted on 03/10/2016 13:43

I have owned from new an Elddis Autoquest 120 for 5/6 years. It has around 23k miles on the clock. Although we  love the layout and facilities of the vehicle, we are constantly having problems with it. To name but a few: replacement water pump twice, replacement toilet pump, replacement electric heating switch, intake of water problems, fridge on gas problems, problems with gas fire, rubber trim outside coming away from vehicle. It seems that we have to book in for repair so frequently. 

I now want to replace with a new motorhome, but with my experience of this Elddis vehicle am wondering if other owners have experienced similar problems, or is thIs just bad luck. Should I buy a different make? 

Tinwheeler replied on 03/10/2016 13:58

Posted on 03/10/2016 13:58

The make is unlikely to make much difference. The majority of your problems have been with non-Elddis components and the same parts tend to be used across the board by most converters. 

JVB66 replied on 03/10/2016 14:06

Posted on 03/10/2016 14:06

As above the only problem with the Vehicle by your post is the trim ,all the rest are related to equipment supplied to Elddis,which as Tinwheeler says will be fitted to the majority of LVs,it will not matter what make you go for from any country in europe,

crispypancake1 replied on 03/10/2016 17:06

Posted on 03/10/2016 17:06

Thank you for the advice. I suppose now I need to ask for any recommendations for reliability before I go ahead and purchase the new motorhome.  We are not DIY people, so the next MH needs to be much more reliable.

JVB66 replied on 03/10/2016 17:10

Posted on 03/10/2016 17:10

Thank you for the advice. I suppose now I need to ask for any recommendations for reliability before I go ahead and purchase the new motorhome.  We are not DIY people, so the next MH needs to be much more reliable.

..And buy from a local ,if possible ,dealer.,nothing worse than having to travel a long distance to get thing rectified

young thomas replied on 03/10/2016 17:41

Posted on 03/10/2016 17:41

..And buy from a local ,if possible ,dealer.,nothing worse than having to travel a long distance to get thing rectified

...far preferable to buy one that doesnt go wrong in the first place.....Happy

just to put things in perspective, you will know where Elddis sit in the MH food chain and, if 'all the components are the same' as in fridge, heater etc, then the ability to knock them out so cheaply must come from somewhere else...?

that must mean materials, components, assembly, testing, QA whatever....but if everything 'were the same' as (say) a mid range van, then you'd be spending a lot more.

however, spending more cash doesnt guarantee (necessarily) a better MH...

i dont know what your budget is, but if i were guessing (based on your thoughts of diving back in with Elddis again), Id be looking at a one/two year old 'more upmarket' van from (say) Knaus, Hymer, Rapido, Pilote etc (from the Euro camp) and (possibly) Swift, Autotrail, or Autosleepers if you are prepared to go UK again.

have a good hunt around some dealers and really get in these vans (all makes) give them a real good hard look (read kick) and test them....

beds (sizes, comfort), same with showers, lounges and kitchens.

do you need good insulation with inboard water tanks, how does the water inlet (and waste) systems work....theres some quirky stuff out there....

good luck...

JVB66 replied on 03/10/2016 17:48

Posted on 03/10/2016 17:48

...far preferable to buy one that doesnt go wrong in the first place.....Happy

just to put things in perspective, you will know where Elddis sit in the MH food chain and, if 'all the components are the same' as in fridge, heater etc, then the ability to knock them out so cheaply must come from somewhere else...?

that must mean materials, components, assembly, testing, QA whatever....but if everything 'were the same' as (say) a mid range van, then you'd be spending a lot more.

however, spending more cash doesnt guarantee (necessarily) a better MH...

i dont know what your budget is, but if i were guessing (based on your thoughts of diving back in with Elddis again), Id be looking at a one/two year old 'more upmarket' van from (say) Knaus, Hymer, Rapido, Pilote etc (from the Euro camp) and (possibly) Swift, Autotrail, or Autosleepers if you are prepared to go UK again.

have a good hunt around some dealers and really get in these vans (all makes) give them a real good hard look (read kick) and test them....

beds (sizes, comfort), same with showers, lounges and kitchens.

do you need good insulation with inboard water tanks, how does the water inlet (and waste) systems work....theres some quirky stuff out there....

good luck...

...Reading the ops post that apart from one thing, that have gone wrong seems to be equipment that is bought in by Elddis, which as we all know are normally from beyond our shoresUndecided

young thomas replied on 03/10/2016 18:03

Posted on 03/10/2016 18:03

youll see (unlike yourself) my post was country-neutral, suggesting brands form here and abroad...

despite the kit in vans being largely the same, there is a degree of skill required in installing, checking and testing that all is done properly. some 'installations' are beyond belief..

at the end of the day, a cheap(er) van must be saving money somewhere, and if the components are (apparently) the same, then that saving must come from somewhere else....

IMHO, far better to get a decent 2nd hand van from a 'quality' brand....not a guarantee by any means, but i know where id be putting my hard earned.

neck on the block?.....buy yourself a two or three yr old Hymer...Happy

JVB66 replied on 03/10/2016 18:32

Posted on 03/10/2016 18:32

youll see (unlike yourself) my post was country-neutral, suggesting brands form here and abroad...

despite the kit in vans being largely the same, there is a degree of skill required in installing, checking and testing that all is done properly. some 'installations' are beyond belief..

at the end of the day, a cheap(er) van must be saving money somewhere, and if the components are (apparently) the same, then that saving must come from somewhere else....

IMHO, far better to get a decent 2nd hand van from a 'quality' brand....not a guarantee by any means, but i know where id be putting my hard earned.

neck on the block?.....buy yourself a two or three yr old Hymer...Happy

..i hope the German family have got theirs sorted Wink

young thomas replied on 03/10/2016 21:06

Posted on 03/10/2016 21:06

oh yes, the 'one' (apparently) you heard of....Undecided

do you have a sensible suggestion for the OP other than to pooh-pooh everything i post?Undecided

rayjsj replied on 03/10/2016 21:57

Posted on 03/10/2016 21:57

BB, you really do look at all things German Made through rose tinted spectacles, Burstner have had many water ingress problems, look on some of the German Brand forums for a jolt back to earth. Even your beloved Carthago  (overpriced and over here, to misquote a well known wartime saying) is not without faults,   Eldiss may not be perfect, but they do produce vans at a price that most people can afford,in the UK,  and considering how many they sell, most customers are happy with their purchases.      Of all the ops problems, only one stems from Eldiss, all the others are bought in appliances some of which probably also grace your van ?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook