Cash only in on site shops

jspur replied on 04/06/2018 12:49

Posted on 04/06/2018 12:49

Can I ask the question about cash only being accepted in onsite shops?

I am sure this has been discussed, but I think it is weird in this day and age that reception staff/wardens only accept cash and do not take cards to pay for any extras you might require.

I realise that a machine obviously comes with a cost, but my reason for asking is that having just visited a C&M site, it was very hot and a young mother and her three young children came into the reception/shop area to purchase an ice cream for her children. When she asked if they take cards, she was told, no we only take cash, then the young mother said to her children they could not have an ice cream because she only had a card and no cashon her at all. The little ones were very upset and they all left having purchased nothing, so a lost sale.

I understand that the staff/wardens run the sale of essentials etc separate from the club, but in this day and age and with more and more young families taking up Caravaning or motorhoming they do not carry cash, we are a cashless society now and I think reception staff/ wardens need to address this issue.

I know before anyone says it that you should perhaps take some cash with you, but the younger generation are a cashless and online generation.

What do you think, am I being ridiculous?

SteveL replied on 04/06/2018 12:54

Posted on 04/06/2018 12:54

Our local fruit and veg shop can’t justify one on his turnover. So I doubt if it would be economic for Wardens. Particularly as it might not be in use all year.

Randomcamper replied on 04/06/2018 12:56

Posted on 04/06/2018 12:56

I agree with you........

But we have just got back from Vienna and we found that many of the pubs, restaurants, attractions, public transport etc only took cash ( I had to go to a Volksbank to withdraw more...)

So rumours of the death of cash are premature!

EmilysDad replied on 04/06/2018 13:01

Posted on 04/06/2018 13:01

If I can use my card to pay for my pitch, I'd expect to be able to use it else where in the shop. It seems another example of the Caravan Club being set in their ways.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/06/2018 13:21

Posted on 04/06/2018 13:21

It’s all down to the wardens running and funding the shops themselves, I guess.

EmilysDad replied on 04/06/2018 14:34

Posted on 04/06/2018 13:21 by Tinwheeler

It’s all down to the wardens running and funding the shops themselves, I guess.

Posted on 04/06/2018 14:34

But when I go into a CC site office, I don't see a difference between stuff on one side of the office & the other. I'm sure if there was a will there would be a way.

e.g. Years ago I used to buy cigarettes & lottery from Tesco & pay for it all in one go on my credit card. One week we shopped at Asda & I tried to do the same only to be told that as the money was going to 2 different people it was impossible to do. The assistant was stumped when I told her it was possible at Tesco. There was obviously the will because you can now pay for your fags & lottery on your credit card in one transaction at Asda if you so wish. 😉 

Ps I neither now smoke or do the lottery 

moulesy replied on 04/06/2018 14:53

Posted on 04/06/2018 14:53

Apart from maybe replacing a gas tank, which as I understand it the wardens have to fund themselves, the only items I'm likely to buy from the site shop are small items, maybe a bottle of milk or an ice cream or eggs. So I think it's entirely reasonable to be asked to pay cash for them. There may be an argument for allowing cards for bigger items or for a minimum spend as in some pubs. Is there still a transaction fee payable by the vendor to the card company? If so it would hardly make sense to accept cards for small amounts.

Navigateur replied on 04/06/2018 14:58

Posted on 04/06/2018 14:58

There is a transaction cost but that is built into the selling price. The card readers are given out free and the funds appear almost instantly in the recipiants bank account.

If the guy who cleans my gutters does not take cash then why is anyone else wanting to?

JVB66 replied on 04/06/2018 15:06

Posted on 04/06/2018 15:06

The majority of "stuff" that is sold in site offices is funded entirely buy how deep the wardens pockets are and what sort of site they running,so to "purchase"a card machine and then have the added cost of the transaction on top, would just not be worth stocking anything added to that the cost of fetching everything,as the amounts that are stocked ,apart from gas which they has to be delivered, would not be viable for delivery

DavidKlyne replied on 04/06/2018 15:35

Posted on 04/06/2018 15:35

I think the OP does highlight an issue which is difficult to understand by anyone other than the old hands. I accept that having their own point of sale terminal would not be economic. However why can't the Club arrange for their wardens to have their own code for operating through the Club system. It might mean they have to wait a bit longer for their money but it would be one way of getting over the cash issue.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 04/06/2018 15:43

Posted on 04/06/2018 15:43

An alternative could be for the wardens to stop selling goods. They don’t have to do it so why don’t we be glad that they do and stump up the cash.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook