Benimar Mileo 282

admiral halsey replied on 15/05/2021 20:35

Posted on 15/05/2021 20:35

Just bought one of these. Not got her home yet. The dealer says the booklet is generic, so was unable to provide some specifics. I appreciate that may be the same here.

Can anyone tell me about the sat nav in these van? It's a touch screen multi-media affair (Nav/Radio/camera). I'm wondering if this will negate the need for my motorhome specific Garmin camper 770, which is obviously loaded with Aires, CL's etc. Do I need a subscription with it?

Thanks for looking.

AH

young thomas replied on 18/05/2021 09:13

Posted on 18/05/2021 09:13

the issue is that some companies think that making MH ownership 'better' is to add the latest gadget....mifi etc being the latest 'craze'.

folk get drawn in by the 'great spec' of a van and see this as making it 'better' than a rival...

a few weeks later when the gadgets start failing or falling off they realise that they need something beyond that glitzy sale....some good solid after sales help and service...

at this point the new owner realises how good or not his owning experience is likely to be.

adding the latest 'whizzbang' to the coming years spec is far easier for a converter to 'maintain customer interest' than addressing the real problems uncovered the previous year....

JVB66 replied on 18/05/2021 09:23

Posted on 18/05/2021 09:23

That goes for it seems all LVs sold in the UK, people seem to want all the latest gizmo,s in the lightest possible vehicle, and still keep within their licence restrictions,   how does that work?

I noted she. looking at PVCs from Hymer/Elddis they now advertise the "basic?"vehicle and then a long list of options , as with it seems most of Hymer groups other makes

young thomas replied on 18/05/2021 09:48

Posted on 18/05/2021 09:48

thats because the 'improvements' they make are usually to do with how the MH performs in its primary function....can they make the storage better/larger, improve external acess, could they add 'sustainability' by redisigning the water tanks to give larger capacity, more space for batteries, perhaps move the gas tanks give the customer better access/capacity....

all these things require a proper improvement budget, and represent taking the van forward in how it delivers MH functionality to the customer.....not just adding a mifi aerial.

the fundamental difference is how company's see 'improvement'. as you say, in the UK the list of included gadgets just gets longer...this obviously makes the van 'better' than last year's..

some companies look hard and deep into their product eking out real improvements each revision, leaving customers to choose the 'gadgets' that they fancy.

some, dont. 

Tinwheeler replied on 18/05/2021 09:59

Posted on 18/05/2021 09:59

Options disrupt the production lines so, from the manufacturers' point of view, standard is best as it enables them to roll out more vans and make more profit. On the whole, they don't worry about what individual tweaks the customer wants but know that more bling equals more sales.🙄

admiral halsey replied on 21/05/2021 20:10

Posted on 16/05/2021 21:28 by Kasspa

Hi AH,

I have a Benimar Mileo 243, sat nav is a very small 5" Tom Tom, bases journeys on a car....

However, rear camera on the screen is spot on for gauging reversing

I've just ordered a MH specific one to hopefully be more useful....

We have a 24" tv (max)

Solar panel charges both batteries after prioritising leisure & 1 appears sufficient although there is space under driver seat for 2nd....

No electric step, gas bottles 2 x 6Kg

Waste is insulated I think, there is a heater element switch for fresh water behind drivers seat, on ours it is located under a fold up side seat that allows 2 x passengers

Marquis Leisure are the sole agents for Benimar in the UK..... our salesman was also great but their aftersales CS has been very disappointing..... companies can't keep using COVID as an excuse!

Hope this helps.

Posted on 21/05/2021 20:10

Many thanks for your informative reply.

We don't exchange until the beginning of June. Just thinking ahead.

I have medical needs, so we always aim for EHU. So given more thought, I'll leave the Leisure battery situation alone. I never could figure out if the solar panel fed my Bailey engine battery, though to be fair she always started first time, until the battery finally carked it.

Will be interested to find out if she has a heating element in the waste. We are planning to use her all year round due to Grandchild-care issues. So the heating element may be required.

Our dealership is Bailey, and this is the first Benimar they have seen. So, it's not surprising that they don't know their way around her any better than I do.

AH

Kasspa replied on 22/05/2021 00:20

Posted on 21/05/2021 20:10 by admiral halsey

Many thanks for your informative reply.

We don't exchange until the beginning of June. Just thinking ahead.

I have medical needs, so we always aim for EHU. So given more thought, I'll leave the Leisure battery situation alone. I never could figure out if the solar panel fed my Bailey engine battery, though to be fair she always started first time, until the battery finally carked it.

Will be interested to find out if she has a heating element in the waste. We are planning to use her all year round due to Grandchild-care issues. So the heating element may be required.

Our dealership is Bailey, and this is the first Benimar they have seen. So, it's not surprising that they don't know their way around her any better than I do.

AH

Posted on 22/05/2021 00:20

Feel free to ask any further Q's.

As I have said, overall very happy with our 243, they are well 'specced' vehicles.

We have just returned from a wet & windy Wales & heading to Scotland on 1st June but I do check 'forum' occasionally whilst on my travels....

Enjoy.

The large long arm mirrors can be 'problematic' on the narrow roads in places like Cornwall & Wales as no matter how much you squeeze into your n/s, even when stationary, SUV type vehicles manage to clip the underside of your o/s mirror.... I have considered covers but that would make them a few mm lower!!!!! 

Just be aware.....

admiral halsey replied on 23/05/2021 18:00

Posted on 23/05/2021 18:00

Further to my earlier queries.......does anyone know if my vehicle will need Adblue?

She was registered in August 2020, based on a Ducato 2.3 Euro 6D.

AH

Tinwheeler replied on 23/05/2021 18:43

Posted on 23/05/2021 18:00 by admiral halsey

Further to my earlier queries.......does anyone know if my vehicle will need Adblue?

She was registered in August 2020, based on a Ducato 2.3 Euro 6D.

AH

Posted on 23/05/2021 18:43

Yes, it will. It's a simple no fuss operation.

admiral halsey replied on 29/05/2021 16:28

Posted on 29/05/2021 16:28

Can anyone tell me the Tyre size on these please? I don't want to buy the wrong wheel clamp.

AH

DavidKlyne replied on 29/05/2021 19:45

Posted on 29/05/2021 16:28 by admiral halsey

Can anyone tell me the Tyre size on these please? I don't want to buy the wrong wheel clamp.

AH

Posted on 29/05/2021 19:45

The link to the original spec I posted on page two of this discussion says 16 inch wheels but always best to check with the importer.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook