Auto-Trail Cheyenne 740 S

Keithie replied on 02/11/2016 12:16

Posted on 02/11/2016 12:16

Hi All

We are going to look at this MH at the weekend after months of searching this one seems to suit or needs, however after reading various reports it would appear that there are some issues with the Fiat engine/chassis it is on a 2008 plate and has done 43,000 miles what should I be looking for and what questions should I be asking the sales person. All comments both positive and negative welcome.

Regards

jakeontour replied on 02/11/2016 15:05

Posted on 02/11/2016 15:05

Fiat underpins around 85% of European motorhome production.  So whilst there will always be someone with a horror story, in general it is a well sorted chassis which is easy to drive.

What you need to look for is a full Fiat service history, which should ensure that the various recalls etc have been completed; the correct oils, antifreeze etc used. 

The mileage is average for the year and should mean that it's avoided the worst effects of 'sleepy van syndrome'.

A 2008 model shouldn't have the notorious judder in reverse, but it's easy enough to check.  Just reverse slowly up a slope / ramp when you have a test drive.  You'll instantly know if there's a problem!

Basically, if it feels fine when you drive it and it has a proper history and full MOT, then mechanically it's almost certainly fine.

Turning to the body, damp is the single biggest potential problem.  Use your eyes and nose, look under and behind everything.  Especially in the lockers just behind the cab doors where poor sealing can result in damp issues.

Otherwise it's all common sense and personal taste.

Enjoy, looking is part of the fun.

Tinwheeler replied on 02/11/2016 17:13

Posted on 02/11/2016 17:13

I'm a person with a horror story of the Fiat X250, WJ. I strongly recommend you try to reverse uphill with it. I disagree with JoT I'm afraid and believe the 2008 year model was affected by reverse judder. 

Tigi replied on 02/11/2016 19:13

Posted on 02/11/2016 19:13

We had a Fiat X250 Panel Van of same year even that juddered in reverse but being lighter was manageable. There was a fix for the problem some reported success some did'nt. In addition inspect under bonnet for water ingress, check the drainage from the tray beneath the windscreen has it drained onto engine is there a protective cover over engine and is there any sign of corrosion .

Tinwheeler replied on 02/11/2016 19:25

Posted on 02/11/2016 19:25

In some cases the drainage scuttle was glued to the windscreen as part of the water ingress fix. I dread to think what happens if the windscreen needs changing.

QFour replied on 02/11/2016 23:06

Posted on 02/11/2016 23:06

It's a bit like buying a house really. You don't want any nasty shocks so get it Professionally Checked. If it's a Dealer don't rely on their say so that it's ok. There are lots of horror stories. Make sure it has all it's paperwork. Habitation / Water Ingress reports. If they are missing then walk away. Don't fall into the trap of  ' It can be fixed ' If it's got problems there are another 10 out there that don't have. First impressions always count. Open the door FIRST and have a good smell. If someone has been in with a fresh air spray then something is wrong. Happy Hunting

replied on 03/11/2016 09:23

Posted on 03/11/2016 09:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JD6620 replied on 03/11/2016 11:48

Posted on 03/11/2016 11:48

There are horror stories about all makes of motorhome I'm afraid.  A friend of mine purchased a brand new Elddis a few years ago that basicaly fell apart around them.  They changed it in under a year for an Autotrail.  I have a 2007 Autotrail Cheyenne 635 and love it, good build quality and reliable.  The Fiat side however is another issue as we do have a very odd gremlin in that the engine looses power occasionally, but only in the wet. Not got to the bottom of that one yet.  As others have said check all the paperwork, servicing etc.  If it's been looked after you should be fine.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/11/2016 15:55

Posted on 03/11/2016 15:55

It's always taking a chance, WJ, but all you can do is weigh everything up and, hopefully, you've now got enough info to make an informed decision. Good luck.

Kennine replied on 03/11/2016 16:48

Posted on 03/11/2016 16:48

Wee Jock  Two important things to have checked before agreeing a deal. 

1 -- Reverse up a steep hill, stop half way, than reverse again. If there is any indication of a shudder. It's bad news. 

2 - Have the front wheel bearings properly checked - There was a problem with them for some time.  Ours showed up during it's first MOT check.  It's an expensive repair. 

Both to do with the Fiat base vehicle. 

Otherwise check the habitation area the same as you would any motorhome or caravan. 

Hope you get a good example of what you are looking for - Motorhoming is good fun. 

Cheers  K 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook