AdBlue

fatbelly replied on 21/01/2017 10:58

Posted on 21/01/2017 10:58

Hi we get our Bailey MH soon and we need to put something called AdBlue into it!!! Which prior to ordered our MH I've never heard of.

I've seen it in Halfords at £14 for 10 litres. How often will I need to fill the AdBlue tank? Is it something I need to take with me or is it a long term thing?

Thanks

young thomas replied on 21/01/2017 11:09

Posted on 21/01/2017 11:09

short answer, never.....it should last till your service...

your van is on a Peugeot base, my dad has a new Peugeot Teepee and asked the same question, it lasts for many many miles, far more than he will do and, i suspect, more than most motorhomers will do.

from their website.....

"AdBlue® needs to be topped up approximately every 12,500 miles. For most drivers this will be carried out as part of your Scheduled Service. However, the maximum range of a tank of AdBlue® can vary depending on your driving style."

Stewartwebr replied on 21/01/2017 11:33

Posted on 21/01/2017 11:33

Current van and previous van had an Ad Blue tank, never had to fill it up as BoleroBoy says, its taken care of at the service time. If however you do more than 12.500miles between services you can easily top it up, its nothing more than like adding windscreen washer fluid. You can buy the 10L containers or some filling stations have it on a pump the same as petrol or diesel but normally at the HGV section.

catherinef replied on 21/01/2017 16:58

Posted on 21/01/2017 16:58

If you have an Esso or BP station close by you the 10 litre containers usually come with a funnel (not all containers do).  I also have bought it in the past for about £12.

Our Audi drinks 12 litres every 3,500 miles and in the car dealership I work we are finding some Citroen cars are using a similar amount every 3,000 miles.  

Always pays to have a cannister in the garage or shed.  On our Audi you get a count down from 1,500 miles and if it's not re-filled it cannot be started until you do fill it.

Tigi replied on 22/01/2017 20:25

Posted on 22/01/2017 20:25

The amounts for the Audi and Citroen quoted above are far in excess of what  our Mercedes has used so far. In 9000` of which 4000` was towing on continent we`ve used 10Ltrs.

Bear in mind  Ad Blue only has a life span of two years and the tank should be  drained every second service, according to the handbook exceeding these limits can result in damage to the exhaust system. You`ll see the use by date on bottles if you purchase from Halfords I looked once and the use by date was already four months gone. The most cost effective way of topping up is at the pumps, on the continent you find Ad Blue pumps at the car refill points. Using the HGV refill points is not recommended due to the speed of the fill. Our own car gives the approximate mileage that can be driven on the  Ad Blue remaining in tank. As per previous post if the amount drops below 1-2Ltrs if you turn off the engine it will not restart.  

We have`nt had any problems with it 

BlueVanMan replied on 23/01/2017 07:39

Posted on 23/01/2017 07:39

We are getting a new Euro 6 Citroen Relay based PVC in the Spring (same engine as Peugeot Boxer) which will indeed use AdBlue to make it Euro 6 compliant.

New Fiat Ducatos have different engines using different technology and don't need AdBlue but their mid sized engine is 150bhp as opposed to 160 in the Peugeot/Citroen.

The Adblue Tank holds 15 litres and the handbook gives no guidance about how long that will last but our local dealer suggests about 8000 miles. Guidance in your handbook will take you through how an interim low level warning followed by a "permanent" warning will be displayed as the level falls. According to the Citroen Relay handbook the vehicle is not actually immobilised until the AdBlue reaches zero (but I wont be experimenting to see if that is right) . The reason for immobilisation is that the vehicle no longer meets it Euro 6 emission criteria. It needs 3.8 litres of AdBlue to restart i.e. quite a bit to carry so another reason to avoid running out. Personally I think I will be topping up every 3000 miles or so.

Of course for some low mileage users it will will just be something done at annual vehicle service but again main service intervals at two years mean that even lower milage users could run out between services. You should observe the specific guidance about draining down in your vehicle maintenance handbook but some sources suggest a shelf life of 18 months. 

richardandros replied on 23/01/2017 08:31

Posted on 23/01/2017 08:31

I get about 6500 miles in my Touareg (3 litre) before the warning message to top-up comes on. I tried filling up at my local service station but there is some sort of interlock on the pump nozzle that prevents it discharging into a container or tank not fitted with the appropriate valve. I bought a filling kit (about £10)  and using the 10 litre containers, it's a very easy job to fill up. My dealer doesn't include topping-up the Adblue in a normal service and is a chargeable extra for which you pay well over the odds.

Thornsett replied on 23/01/2017 09:54

Posted on 23/01/2017 09:54

Just make sure you put AdBlue in the right tank and don't put diesel in the AdBlue tank when you need to top up between services. 

JVB66 replied on 23/01/2017 10:05

Posted on 23/01/2017 10:05

Some friends of ours have a Volvo convertible and they had a fault light that was found to be low Add Blue the Volvo dealer workshop advised that a lot depend on how vehicle is driven,and the size of the tank as some like theirs had quite small tanks

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook