A-Frames

TonyIshUK replied on 26/05/2018 17:47

Posted on 26/05/2018 17:47

At least the powers that be recognise the existence of A frames although in a grey haze of legality.

it will not be until an unfortunate accident occurs with possible deaths, that the legality of these systems will be determined requiring the legal system to pass rulings as to definitions of trailing and trailers.

A tradition British fudge until it actually happens,  (something like Brexit?)

Rgds

Randomcamper replied on 26/05/2018 18:17

Posted on 26/05/2018 18:17

For anyone that uses an A frame there is a 6 page discussion running on MHF about this document...

The first few pages are interesting ( well to me anyway, but we've just bought a trailer for our Toad) but then it descends into silliness, a bit like this forum.....wink

Lutz replied on 26/05/2018 20:19

Posted on 26/05/2018 20:19

The information that the DfT have issued isn't conclusive. On the one hand they say that the A-frame plus car unit is to be treated as a trailer, but since 2014 trailers have been subject to whole vehicle type approval  However, there's no mention of that in their blurb so it is difficult to know what to make of it.

EmilysDad replied on 26/05/2018 21:23

Posted on 26/05/2018 21:23

I always look at cars that get towed by motorhomes & think that those 2 towing points & connection to its hand brake sticking out at the front would cause some nasty injuries to a pedestrian if they were to be run over. It seems amazing to me that as car designers have tried to make the front of a car safer & safer in the event of a collision with a pedestrian .... removal of bonnet badges, hiding wipers under thevrear edge of bonnets etc etc, we're allowed to poke steel work through the front grille.

Tinwheeler replied on 26/05/2018 21:35

Posted on 26/05/2018 21:23 by EmilysDad

I always look at cars that get towed by motorhomes & think that those 2 towing points & connection to its hand brake sticking out at the front would cause some nasty injuries to a pedestrian if they were to be run over. It seems amazing to me that as car designers have tried to make the front of a car safer & safer in the event of a collision with a pedestrian .... removal of bonnet badges, hiding wipers under thevrear edge of bonnets etc etc, we're allowed to poke steel work through the front grille.

Posted on 26/05/2018 21:35

I’m surprised it doesn’t immediately make for an MOT failure.

peedee replied on 27/05/2018 08:05

Posted on 26/05/2018 21:23 by EmilysDad

Posted on 27/05/2018 08:05

Not all A-Frame fittings are like this. You would not know mine has been modified.

Peedee

peedee replied on 27/05/2018 08:17

Posted on 27/05/2018 08:17

The most interesting bit I noted which I think was not in the older version, is the paragraph about being able to automatically disable braking for reversing. That now clearly, at the very least, casts a shadow on some systems.

peedee

EmilysDad replied on 27/05/2018 08:54

Posted on 27/05/2018 08:05 by peedee

Not all A-Frame fittings are like this. You would not know mine has been modified.

Peedee

Posted on 27/05/2018 08:54

... but a lot are. And I dare say the original crumple zones are now modified from original to add the towing points.

Lutz replied on 27/05/2018 09:42

Posted on 27/05/2018 08:54 by EmilysDad

... but a lot are. And I dare say the original crumple zones are now modified from original to add the towing points.

Posted on 27/05/2018 09:42

It's not only the crumple zones that are affected, but also the sensors that deploy the airbags are usually located right behind the bumper. Any bracketry that may be fitted on the car's underbody structure to attach the A-frame could affect the sensors' performance in the event of a head on crash. Remember, it's a matter of milliseconds that count to ensure timely deployment of the airbags.

Randomcamper replied on 27/05/2018 10:00

Posted on 27/05/2018 10:00

I often wonder how the conversation goes when you try to get insurance for an A frame modified tow car......

I imagine the conversation goes as follows.....wink

"Hello, yes, some little company in an industrial unit has bolted a girder across the front and fixed a couple of towing eyes to it, right by the crumple zones & airbag sensors. They have then faffed around with the brakes to make them sort of work when I'm towing it.....Is that OK...?"

"Yes sir, thats fine, we are perfectly happy to insure you at no extra cost."

Make's you wonder if insurance companies even understand what an A frame is.....

Well, either that or they aren't being told the full story......undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook