2017 Peugeot boxer sat nav

dougA replied on 22/10/2017 17:53

Posted on 22/10/2017 17:53

looking to upgrade my current Peugeot stereo system. I'm looking for a touch screen system with the sat nav built in. 

Can anyone advise if Peugeot has this and if so the model number or if there are any other makes that will fit the gap where the original stereo will be removed from.

young thomas replied on 22/10/2017 19:22

Posted on 22/10/2017 19:22

we have a Pioneer double-Din unit which is touch screen and has a satnav as well as DVD player, DAB radio, Bluetooth phone etc....

sounds great.....however...

the unit uses about 1.8 amp when on standby, this (along with alarm and immobiliser! will drain the vehicle battery in 4/5 days..... unless it has a 'proper' isolation switch..

also, the sat nav will need to be updated periodically and most folk like to have their own POI files loaded....im totally familiar with doing this on my TomTom but Id have to learn a new (trickier) system for the Pioneer.

lastly, the unit requires 'umpteen' presses to turn the unit off......bonkers.

Apperley replied on 22/10/2017 22:16

Posted on 22/10/2017 22:16

I agree with B.B. I bought an upgraded media unit which includes a Pioneer that does everything, rear camera, sat nav, cd, links to phone for music, telephone, apple play etc, But...

I am required to pay for map upgrades, whereas I have lifetime free updates on my Garmin, and my gaming is easier to update and add POIs. Also my Garmin is a larger screen and when using my Garmin separately I can see and use the Pioneer touch screen for everything else.  Also the Dab radio reception is poor, so generally use the pioneer on fm. 

Having said that the music sound quality is very good and we can link it the tv for surround sound. Never had a problem with the battery drain issue that some have reported.

young thomas replied on 23/10/2017 09:43

Posted on 23/10/2017 09:43

Apperly, we got the van in January, immediately went on a 9 week trip to spain and had no issue with the battery drain.....however, we were mostly using EHU.

when we got home, i left the van on the drive and after a few days i went to the van and i noticed the low battery indicator light was on.

in fact, the cab battery was flat.

i have a solar panel, but this wasnt repleninshing as fast as the drain was taking it out.

now i also have an 'entertainment' switch which can isolate the radio unit (but also does everything else like sat dish, tvs etc)....

my workaround is to turn off this switch so the batrwry doesnt drain.

perhaps you have something similar and have always turned it off?

in our previous van (also Carthago) i didnt bother to turn off this switch but we never got the drain, probably as the unit was a much less sophisticated one and the draw must have been minimal.

apparently for 2018 there is a 'fix' (seperate isolation?) which i am waiting to review with my dealer.....

good luck.

dougA replied on 23/10/2017 18:50

Posted on 23/10/2017 18:50

Thanks BoleroBoy & Apperley, I wasn't sure if Peugeot had a system with built in sat nav. I think now that if I was to go down the route of installing another make of stereo/sat nav I would just need to purchase the facia panel for the Peugeot for the system to slot into.

Interesting about the battery drain over 4/5 days. I wasn't aware that the stereo used so much power on standby. I have a solar panel at present but I think my vehicle battery charges when I have it connected to the mains. Isolation switch seems the best option though.

I also have a Garmin sat nav  but was thinking it would be better to have it all in the one place with a touch screen opposed to having the sat nav and cables over the dash.

Was the pioneer system an upgrade from Peugeot and what model is it?

young thomas replied on 23/10/2017 19:03

Posted on 23/10/2017 19:03

Doug, our van is on a Fiat Ducato and the Pioneer unit was a factory fitted option....it came with the van....

after i had the battery discharge issue, i called the AA who started the van for me but also did a few mins diagnostic, telling me that there was a 1.8 amp drain from the vehicle battery with the Pioneer in 'stand by'.

i got hold of the Pioneer spec sheet and this told me the 'standby' drain was around 1.8 amp but that the full draw (with all functions running) might be as much as 10 amp!!!

i rang Pioneer and spoke to their technical department (very helpful) who verified both these figures....

now, of you have a car, which is used daily, the alternator recharges the battery sufficiently to offset the effects of the Pioneer drain...

however, leave a MH on the drive for a week and......

all this lead me to using the 'entertainment' switch to isolate the unit, i suggest you ise the '12v systems' switch or similar to contwin the draw..

good luck.

dougA replied on 27/10/2017 15:44

Posted on 27/10/2017 15:44

Thanks again BoleroBoy.

I went to my Peugeot dealer today to see what system with sat nav was available for my Peugeot and was told there isn’t one ☹️

Ive Also been into Halfords and they have a pioneer 7” touch screen with built in sat nav. This is a double din so I also need to get the facia surround. Does this sound correct ? 

Has anybody got a photo of there system fitted so I can see how it look.

this is the system I have fitted at present

dougA replied on 27/10/2017 22:48

Posted on 27/10/2017 22:09 by Apperley

Posted on 27/10/2017 22:48

Cheers Apperley that's brill. This is just what I've been looking at but was not sure of the fitting into the dash.

Im looking at a similar pioneer which now confirms it will fit and look okay.

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Just need to find the correct way to fit the isolation switch BoleroBoy πŸ‘πŸΌ

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook