2017 Peugeot boxer sat nav

dougA replied on 22/10/2017 17:53

Posted on 22/10/2017 17:53

looking to upgrade my current Peugeot stereo system. I'm looking for a touch screen system with the sat nav built in. 

Can anyone advise if Peugeot has this and if so the model number or if there are any other makes that will fit the gap where the original stereo will be removed from.

Apperley replied on 28/10/2017 16:06

Posted on 27/10/2017 22:21 by young thomas

yes, this looks like my unit....

A, do you have any sort of isolation switch to prevent the above issues?

Posted on 28/10/2017 16:06

Hi BB & DougA, so this is fitted to my 2017 Autograph that I picked up in May. I queried the battery drain issue with the dealer and they (Kimberley’s @ Darlington) spoke to Bailey who said the problem had previously been caused by them, Bailey, incorrectly wiring them in and they had now modified the installation.

Kimberleys checked the power levels and said there was no drain issue, BUT the only way to switch it off is to remove the vertical control panel on the left of the unit, which to be honest is no problem for me, I pop it in the little ashtray cup in the cup holder.

I do have a solar panel and am mostly on EHU, but we have used the system to play music or run the surround sound when watching music on the TV, or watching DVDs and have not had any battery problems.

young thomas replied on 28/10/2017 17:39

Posted on 28/10/2017 17:39

Apperley, thanks for the extra info re: the removal of the vertical control panel to 'turn it (fully) off'....i didnt know this and i will experiment using this method, leaving the 'entertainment' button on......and then monitor any battery change...

if this works, this is effectively the solution i am looking for....an isolated head unit with the entertainment button 'on' allowing for other items like the sat tuner/dish to be used without the drain of the head unit.

cheers.

dougA replied on 28/10/2017 19:32

Posted on 28/10/2017 19:32

Cheers Guys. Booked for installation next weekend and decided to go with the Kenwood DNX 7170 DABS, Similar to the pioneer but got a better deal 😀👍. 

young thomas replied on 30/10/2017 18:16

Posted on 28/10/2017 17:39 by young thomas

Apperley, thanks for the extra info re: the removal of the vertical control panel to 'turn it (fully) off'....i didnt know this and i will experiment using this method, leaving the 'entertainment' button on......and then monitor any battery change...

if this works, this is effectively the solution i am looking for....an isolated head unit with the entertainment button 'on' allowing for other items like the sat tuner/dish to be used without the drain of the head unit.

cheers.

Posted on 30/10/2017 18:16

just a quick update....i removed the detachable panel yesterday morning and turned on the Entertainment button, to try and force a 'large drain' situation...

having checked last night, this morning and now this evening, i can report that the drain has disappeared and batteries fully charged...

well, the Solar Panel is able to keep up with it, which it wasnt before.....

so, this seems to be, in effect, a 'proper' isolation process, far more effective than 'turning it off'.....which actually left it in 'standby' and causing a 1.8A drain....

thanks again...

dougA replied on 30/10/2017 21:17

Posted on 30/10/2017 21:17

Cheers 👍. One other question the audio installer asked if I want the new system connected to the vehicle battery or the leisure battery. Not too sure about this but I said the vehicle battery. It's got me thinking though.

Am I correct or should it be connected to the leisure battery ?

young thomas replied on 31/10/2017 08:32

Posted on 30/10/2017 20:03 by Apperley

Hi BB, Glad to have been able to help you for a change - your advice is always welcome.

Posted on 31/10/2017 08:32

No worries, A.....i had planned to get my dealer to implement the '2018 fix' (more then likely a switch) when i get the damp check done in January...

looks like we have found an even easier workaround.smile

(ill keep an eye on it, though.....wink).

young thomas replied on 31/10/2017 08:46

Posted on 30/10/2017 21:17 by dougA

Cheers 👍. One other question the audio installer asked if I want the new system connected to the vehicle battery or the leisure battery. Not too sure about this but I said the vehicle battery. It's got me thinking though.

Am I correct or should it be connected to the leisure battery ?

Posted on 31/10/2017 08:46

Doug, i know that some installations from the vehicle battery had 20minute cutouts (to protect running it down) which proved annoying to users.....and override switches were fitted...

our last Bolero was changed to run from the hab batteries and could be isolated (if required) at the control panel, worked ok for us, the drain wasnt anything like as much as this (complex) Pioneer.

this current system definitely runs from the cab battery and is activated either by turning on the ignition (why does it do that every time without me turning it on??...) or by turning on the Entertainment button on the control panel (again, the unit fires up directly without 'turning it on')...

unless we specifically want it on, i then have to 'turn it off' (standby/drain) which takes several presses of the button/screen.... (you'll soon get the hang (pain) of it....wink).

having the small section of panel removed prevents the unit starting on its own, another boon...hurrah!

with this knowledge, and control, i would be happy to have it powered by the vehicle battery, but hab batteries would also be fine.

incidently, when off grid, knowing the level of draw, we dont use this unit. we have a small battery powered radio from Lidl (rechargable batteries) which seems to do the job very well.

good luck.

dougA replied on 31/10/2017 18:29

Posted on 31/10/2017 18:29

BoleroBoy, thanks again as I wasn't sure which battery connection would be best.

I tend not to use the car stereo when on site and same as you I use another radio (Amazon echo).

Ill just go with the vehicle battery connection. 👍🏼

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook