Window crack on Swift Elegance

NevChap replied on 24/04/2018 09:28

Posted on 24/04/2018 09:28

We were away in the 'van last week and in the evening whilst watching TV I heard a bang which sounded as if something had landed on the roof. Next morning on checking I found that the front panaramic window of our Swift Elegance had cracked both outside and inside (it is a one piece double glazed unit). The window now leaks badly although hopefully the duct tape I've put over it will stop that. I've booked it in at the dealer for replacing and will contact the insurance company (CAMC) to see if it is covered. I suspect it may have happened because of getting brittle in the heat but wonder if anybody had had a similar situation?

KenofKent replied on 25/04/2018 19:03

Posted on 25/04/2018 19:03

Nev, you may get a better response by posting on Swift Talk. If there is a problem with the Elegance, I am sure members on there will be aware.

Ken

waterloo replied on 27/04/2018 10:09

Posted on 27/04/2018 10:09

Good luck Nev. We have a 2015 Elegance just back from a complete back end rebuild at the factory due to roof cracking and danger of water ingress, coupled with damp caused by the toilet compartment being poorly fitted. Our friends 2017 Conqueror has got to go back to the factory for a rebuild of the rear end for the same reasons. We have just taken our van out for the first trip since the rebuild and water pours out under the shower tray after a shower! We have a copy of the engineer's check sheet which shows that the water system was not check before return. The van is now back at the dealer for sorting.

Dropping the van off yesterday we got talking to some folks picking up their Challenger SPORT. It had been back due to.... cracking roof.

On first delivery from new our Swift had:

Bathroom door badly hung and would not close.

Leaking tap in kitchen (All over work surface)

Curtain track handing off

Dangerously.... solar panel connected directly to battery causing overheating and power shutdown.

Our last Swift had 13 warranty issues!

Needless to say, this is our last Swift.

What annoys me is the seeming refusal by the manufacturer to acknowledge that they have a serious construction issue.

I also find it incredulous that the club does not appear interested in build quality. We have had 11 vans since 1989 and quality has definitely declined. All the talk seems to be raving about gadgets, the backlit splashback, the control centre, the lit (stupidly named) "cocktail cabinet" etc. I just want a caravan that stays together!

Good luck with your issue and I wish you happy caravanning.

NevChap replied on 27/04/2018 10:20

Posted on 27/04/2018 10:20

Sorry to hear of your problems Waterloo. Guess you use the same dealer as us, based in Rushden. Generally we have been pleased with our 'van although it did go back to Swift for delaminating behind the towel rail in the washroom. So far the roof appears to be OK and I checked the 'van yesterday to see if the duct tape was stopping the rain getting in - and it is thank goodness as it will be July before it is repaired (at the earliest).

I take your point about Swift but have to say that it seems to be just about all British makes of caravans that have problems so what does one do?

I hope you get your problems sorted out satisfactorily soon. All the best.

cyberyacht replied on 27/04/2018 10:22

Posted on 27/04/2018 10:22

Style over substance, yet there appear to be no end of owners who are happy to part with loadsa money every three years or so getting the latest bit of bling.

young thomas replied on 27/04/2018 10:42

Posted on 27/04/2018 10:42

I agree with CY...even reviewers and judges in annual awards give more credence to 'nice upholstery' than decent external access to storage areas or good sized locker openings or whether the van can actually be used at the MTPLM stated....

'quality' in most lower and mid range vans is sorely missing these days.

my latest crawling over a few vans three weeks ago had me leaving most of them before something broke....

'style' (debatable) over 'substance' (negligible) is about par for your £20k+ caravan or £50k MH....

Oneputt replied on 27/04/2018 11:05

Posted on 27/04/2018 11:05

Totally agree CY, I will never buy another new van.  It will be one with full service history and I would get a independent van engineer to check it out for me.

Steve South replied on 29/09/2022 14:51

Posted on 24/04/2018 09:28 by NevChap

We were away in the 'van last week and in the evening whilst watching TV I heard a bang which sounded as if something had landed on the roof. Next morning on checking I found that the front panaramic window of our Swift Elegance had cracked both outside and inside (it is a one piece double glazed unit). The window now leaks badly although hopefully the duct tape I've put over it will stop that. I've booked it in at the dealer for replacing and will contact the insurance company (CAMC) to see if it is covered. I suspect it may have happened because of getting brittle in the heat but wonder if anybody had had a similar situation?

Posted on 29/09/2022 14:51

Hi   Just wondered how you went on with the crack and replacement ?  It has just happened to us on a 2017 model exactly the same way.  Steve

NevChap replied on 29/09/2022 22:24

Posted on 29/09/2022 14:51 by Steve South

Hi   Just wondered how you went on with the crack and replacement ?  It has just happened to us on a 2017 model exactly the same way.  Steve

Posted on 29/09/2022 22:24

Hi. We had it replaced under warranty. The cause wax because we used to close the blind when in storage which resulted in heat buildup which weakened the window. Needless to say we don’t do that now and always leave a gap when shutting the blinds when in storage to allow heat to escape. We have since changed to a 2020 Elegance 560, bought from new.

NevChap replied on 30/09/2022 10:29

Posted on 29/09/2022 22:24 by NevChap

Hi. We had it replaced under warranty. The cause wax because we used to close the blind when in storage which resulted in heat buildup which weakened the window. Needless to say we don’t do that now and always leave a gap when shutting the blinds when in storage to allow heat to escape. We have since changed to a 2020 Elegance 560, bought from new.

Posted on 30/09/2022 10:29

Sorry (it was a long time ago!) it wasn’t done under warranty but CAMC caravan cover paid up without any problem.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook