Whale 13L Water Heater

Milothedog replied on 24/07/2017 15:50

Posted on 24/07/2017 15:50

Just had a nice long weekend at Henley Four Oaks CC site, very enjoyable, despite the weather but found when we arrived and set up that we had no hot water. I've checked it all out, it has 12v & 240v supply but is completely dead. Won't fire up on Gas either (No LED's illuminating on switch panel) 

Taken the caravan back to the dealers on the way home to fix under guarantee but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar problem and what it was, I suspect it's a PCB fault within the heater having completely checked it out myself on site.

Anyone had this ?

smile

asda160 replied on 24/07/2017 21:31

Posted on 24/07/2017 21:31

Milo,

yes identical problem.

Was away this weekend. Identical scenario to you. No blown fuses with 240v and 12v all present. Gas bottle full. All other gas and electric equipment fully working.

Our van has the Whale I Van system. Panel even shows that the system is consuming ampage when electric setting selected but not a glimmer of heat and will not fire on gas either.

Initial response from Whale was quick but unable to sort the issue with it suggested there was a gas lockout that needed clearing via the reset button.

Was promised a call from engineer today from Whale but still haven't had contact and could not get through to the helpline today (2 messages left requesting call back. Bit frustrated as next trip away looming)

Will update on here if it is resolved. It would be good to hear what your outcome is.

Lettuce snow

cheers

Dave

Milothedog replied on 25/07/2017 08:56

Posted on 25/07/2017 08:56

I'll let you know what the dealer does to fix it?

Having looked on "Tinterweb" last night it looks like Whale don't supply parts direct to Joe Public. I have also discovered there is another fuse (2amp) on the PCB itself. It's a not very common type though ( A small stubby type, black, with 2 pins extending from its base) and it my be soldered on to the PCB by the looks of it. I have also found out a new PCB is circa £100 +Vat . good luck with getting yours sorted out.

smile

Milothedog replied on 25/07/2017 19:03

Posted on 24/07/2017 21:31 by asda160

Milo,

yes identical problem.

Was away this weekend. Identical scenario to you. No blown fuses with 240v and 12v all present. Gas bottle full. All other gas and electric equipment fully working.

Our van has the Whale I Van system. Panel even shows that the system is consuming ampage when electric setting selected but not a glimmer of heat and will not fire on gas either.

Initial response from Whale was quick but unable to sort the issue with it suggested there was a gas lockout that needed clearing via the reset button.

Was promised a call from engineer today from Whale but still haven't had contact and could not get through to the helpline today (2 messages left requesting call back. Bit frustrated as next trip away looming)

Will update on here if it is resolved. It would be good to hear what your outcome is.

Lettuce snow

cheers

Dave

Posted on 25/07/2017 19:03

Dave, had a call from the dealers workshop manager this afternoon.

He said having looked at it they  suspect the PCB is at fault.

I'll let you know the final outcome.

smile

asda160 replied on 30/07/2017 22:17

Posted on 30/07/2017 22:17

Milo,

Did you get your waterheater repaired ?

Ours is booked in for Tuesday.

I'd be interested to know that if the PCB is replaced, has there been any upgrade on the replacement to prevent it happening so quickly again. What ever component is at fault our is only 17 months old. 

We have also had the Touch Screen replaced at the beginning of ownership.

I have fingers crossed that Whale have designed the faults out of any replacement components.

Cheers

Dave

Milothedog replied on 31/07/2017 08:31

Posted on 30/07/2017 22:17 by asda160

Milo,

Did you get your waterheater repaired ?

Ours is booked in for Tuesday.

I'd be interested to know that if the PCB is replaced, has there been any upgrade on the replacement to prevent it happening so quickly again. What ever component is at fault our is only 17 months old. 

We have also had the Touch Screen replaced at the beginning of ownership.

I have fingers crossed that Whale have designed the faults out of any replacement components.

Cheers

Dave

Posted on 31/07/2017 08:31

When I spoke to them on Friday they were waiting for a new PCB to be delivered to them. 

They are of the same opinion as me in that it is the problem as every thing else checks out.

I will post to confirm it was the problem or not when I pick the caravan up, hopefully this week?

Ian.

BTW my caravan is a little over 3 years old, I'm the second owner but it has had very little use I believe. 

Milothedog replied on 03/08/2017 11:55

Posted on 03/08/2017 11:55

Just had a Phone call Dave, Collecting the van from the dealers tomorrow morning, a new PCB has it all working again. 

Good luck with yours.

Ian.

asda160 replied on 11/08/2017 19:15

Posted on 11/08/2017 19:15

Hello Ian.

That is good to hear.

Ours stIll at dealer, past its deadline but thats another story.

I've been advised that it is same PCB issue.

Strangely Whale tell me it is an unusual problem for the PCB to cause such an issue. I referred to this forum post and with an identical fault and a PCB replacement being the cure.

Anyway Whale tell me I have the balance of a 5 yr warranty so at least there is good customer support for the product.

will update on here when I finally get the van back.

Cheers

Dave

asda160 replied on 28/08/2017 21:17

Posted on 28/08/2017 21:17

Our van is back.

PCB was replaced.

Just spent a week in Wales and made sure we used the water heater as much as we were able to. All sorted.

Whale warranty is 5 yrs which is comforting to know.

Cheers

Dave

Milothedog replied on 28/08/2017 21:54

Posted on 28/08/2017 21:54

Good to hear its all sorted Dave, I tried mine when I got the van back and have since had it on for 9 days continually on our recent trip to Devon. I thought the heating was going to be the next issue (it uses the same PCB apparently) I had a flashing red led but switching it on and off seemed to cure it?

Ian.

Dai37 replied on 26/11/2019 19:22

Posted on 26/11/2019 19:22

Just had a call from our dealer, saying the problem with our Whale Heater which has failed, as it has been "flooded". It needs to be replaced at a significant cost and would be best to claim on insurance. 

We have had the van from September, and it has not been flooded. 

Anybody have any experience on anything similar?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook