Mains Switching off when connected to car?

OrionCalls replied on 08/08/2017 16:10

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:10

When I connect or disconnect  my car's electrics to the caravan the mains switch in the caravan turns off. I had never noticed this happening in my old caravan but only since getting a new van with Alde heating. (This is because the clock setting on the Alde Control console resets every time the mains is switched off).

I now know that I can buy an Alde accessory that gives a battery back up that would stop the Alde clock resetting.

Can anyone tell me:- 

Is it normal for the caravan's mains to switch off when hooking up?

Is the Alde battery back up easy to fit?

Thanks

replied on 08/08/2017 16:17

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:17

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

OrionCalls replied on 08/08/2017 16:23

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:23

Thanks for that very quick reply, I'll have to get the battery back up.

No it's the mains switch in the van that switches off when I connect/disconnect the car to the van.

If I switch the mains switch to "on" in the van and then connect to EHU the mains switch remains on!

replied on 08/08/2017 16:32

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:32

Is it normal for the caravan's mains to switch off when hooking up?

Yes unless you have a very long EHU lead on your travels.

Seriously - When you disconnect EHU lead it does not 'turn off' mains on any caravan that I have had. When next plugged into EHU everything on 230v is live again. Alde clock will have stopped however and time incorrect as on the microwave clock.

I never trouble to set the clock on the Alde system. We move every 5 days. Before we move I switch off the Alde as in cooler weather the pump will circulate if he ambient temperature is below the chosen temperature if left on.

When we arrive at site I switch on the heating and increase temp to our day time preference. Come bed time I turn down the temp. When I get up next morning I turn it up again.

Vicmallows replied on 08/08/2017 16:38

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:38

Do you mean that the RCD (The main switch in the caravan consumer unit which switches off all mains power, and has a test button on it) trips when you connect the car.   If so, there is a fault situation which should be investigated.

Although it would be technically possible, I have never heard of a system which intentionally disconnects the mains supply when you connect to the car  ..... and I can't really see any reason for such an arrangement.

(A loud warning sound to remind you to disconnect the EHU might be a good idea though!)

EDIT:  There seems to be some confusion because you use the term 'hooking-up'.  I read your post as meaning you are plugging your 'van into the car.  Others seem to be reading it as in ElectricHookUp  (EHU) to the mains.

replied on 08/08/2017 16:45

Posted on 08/08/2017 16:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

OrionCalls replied on 09/08/2017 11:35

Posted on 09/08/2017 11:35

I'm sorry I've confused things haven't I ?

It's when I "plug" the caravan into the car that the control panel I have photographed switches off.

Hope the photograph clarifies what I mean.

SUBBY replied on 09/08/2017 11:47

Posted on 09/08/2017 11:47

why on earth are you connecting to your car when still connected to the mains via your cable you should already be disconnected. i seen people drive off because they forgot to disconnect. a very silly practice in my opinion.

Don

OrionCalls replied on 09/08/2017 13:29

Posted on 09/08/2017 13:29

Don

I'm not Nothing to do with the caravan being connected to the EHU mains it's the caravan being plugged into car's 7pin connector 

OrionCalls replied on 09/08/2017 13:36

Posted on 09/08/2017 13:36

I asked the same question as I originally posted to the manufacturer of my caravan , Coachman (That's was the end of July).

I've just received their reply, which answers my question, but I do find it strange. Coachman's response is

I can confirm that when the caravan is connected to a towing vehicle the master switch will switch off, the only item that will receive power is the fridge."

Thanks for the responses received 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook