Gas bottles

anddogscometoo replied on 27/04/2021 18:23

Posted on 27/04/2021 18:23

We collected our first caravan on Saturday and are working our way through how everything works! With our van we got a gas bottle included and it is a 6kg calor lite propane bottle. I wanted to get another as a spare but can't seem to find them anywhere but when I Google it says they were discontinued by calor?? 🤷‍♀️ What do you all use and recommend?

JVB66 replied on 27/04/2021 18:35

Posted on 27/04/2021 18:35

Welcome to Ct

Calor lite bottles are being withdrawn,  there are a few still about, it may be that the normal calor 6kg cylinders will still be available, for you to obtain,as we will need to exchange to soon as our lite should run out shortly

There is a shortage of most sizes of calor bottles at this time ,put down to the big increase in LVs and those who are doing staycations ,where some would use gas cylinders from European suppliers ,

cyberyacht replied on 28/04/2021 09:07

Posted on 28/04/2021 09:07

As you are just starting out, look at a refillable system rather than pay Calor's exorbitant prices. It will save you a fortune over the years.

JVB66 replied on 28/04/2021 09:12

Posted on 28/04/2021 09:07 by cyberyacht

As you are just starting out, look at a refillable system rather than pay Calor's exorbitant prices. It will save you a fortune over the years.

Posted on 28/04/2021 09:12

It will only save a fortune if a lot of basis used to cover initial installation , and if the future , still has any places to refill are still available and as conveniant as bottle exchangesurprised

JVB66 replied on 28/04/2021 09:43

Posted on 28/04/2021 09:12 by JVB66

It will only save a fortune if a lot of basis used to cover initial installation , and if the future , still has any places to refill are still available and as conveniant as bottle exchangesurprised

Posted on 28/04/2021 09:43

For basis read gassurprised

eribaMotters replied on 28/04/2021 10:13

Posted on 28/04/2021 10:13

I thought about a refillable, but I'm always on a hook up and a 6kg bottle will last me about 4 years, so financially it makes no sense.

Have you tried Flogas as a second bottle. The actual bottle is within mm on dimensions and weight similar. It does need a different fitting, I think.

Colin

allanandjean replied on 28/04/2021 10:40

Posted on 28/04/2021 10:40

Hi, there are options, such as refillabe, the fill up availability is dwindling so unless one near you that you can rely on not to close nt agreat option, but I would not rush to do anything due to the current uncertainty unless you intend to go 'off grid' as a 6kg will last you a while.

There are quite a few suppliers and not always obvious-I found one under firewood supplies!

anddogscometoo replied on 28/04/2021 13:14

Posted on 28/04/2021 10:13 by eribaMotters

I thought about a refillable, but I'm always on a hook up and a 6kg bottle will last me about 4 years, so financially it makes no sense.

Have you tried Flogas as a second bottle. The actual bottle is within mm on dimensions and weight similar. It does need a different fitting, I think.

Colin

Posted on 28/04/2021 13:14

We will almost always use EHU so only really need for our cooker and gas bbq. We have a flogas bottle at home and it's fab as you can actually see how much gas is left. The flogas one we have has a push on connector where as the one in the caravan is screw on so not sure how it could work? There is so much to get your head around!!🤣🤣

JVB66 replied on 28/04/2021 13:27

Posted on 28/04/2021 13:14 by anddogscometoo

We will almost always use EHU so only really need for our cooker and gas bbq. We have a flogas bottle at home and it's fab as you can actually see how much gas is left. The flogas one we have has a push on connector where as the one in the caravan is screw on so not sure how it could work? There is so much to get your head around!!🤣🤣

Posted on 28/04/2021 13:27

I would think the FloGas is butane gas as Calor 7kg blue cylinders are also push fit connectors if you are not going to use your c/van when there is very cold temperatures butane can be used but will not gas when the temps drop

One option we are looking at ,as we are the same as you and use very little gas(unless as yesterday with a big power cut on site) and may well get a 3.9kg on  exchange instead of another 6kg propane, and use it only when the 6kg propane is empty,and while getting fresh one,,it will also save weight we normally use up a 6kg propane every couple of years,

Whittakerr replied on 28/04/2021 14:52

Posted on 28/04/2021 14:52

I got 2 Calor propane bottles out of the Manchester Ship Canal. Took them home, give them a blast with a pressure washer and took them the main Calor depot and exchanged them for full ones.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook