Floor problem Lunar Cosmos 564 2015

edmundl replied on 27/02/2017 13:10

Posted on 27/02/2017 13:10

Hi when my van went in for its service I asked them to have a look at the floor in front of the sink as I thought it felt a bit bouncy. When I had the report back off the technician he said that it wasn't delamination as I thought it might be but a serious collapse of one of the bracing supports in the floor. A report was sent to Lunar with a claim for a warranty repair. Lunar responded almost immediately and sent detailed drawings and instructions on how the repair was to be carried out. This entailed as far as I could make out replacing most of the floor. When I raised my concerns with the dealer who will be carrying out the repairs they assured me that most of the work would be carried out from the underneath and would have very little if any effect on the interior of the van. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Lunar built during this period as I have heard that Lunar were aware of this problem which was caused by build problem during that period

harryb replied on 07/04/2017 17:46

Posted on 07/04/2017 17:46

I would be interested to know the difference between this problem and delamination. How was the problem checked?

Just this last time out, 3 weeks ago, I have detected a bounce in my floor, a Lunar Clubman 2014. It is near the cooker/toilet area. Doesn't seem very big but can definitely be felt. The strange thing is that just three weeks ago the van was at the dealers for a warranty repair on front windows, I would have thought they would have informed me then.

replied on 07/04/2017 17:52

Posted on 07/04/2017 17:52

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 07/04/2017 18:53

Posted on 07/04/2017 18:53

We picked our Lunar Ardingly 2015 from our dealer a fortnight ago after a floor repair.  Our floor delaminated (not through water ingress).  Our floor was damaged in 2 places.  The repair was carried out from beneath and involved cutting sections of the floor out, removing insulation, repairing or replacing framing and then reinserting new insulation and fitting new flooring sections.  We are currently in Germany and so far so good, but only time will tell.  

If you google 'Lunar Quaser floor problems', you will find a number of reports.

Wildwood replied on 08/04/2017 11:09

Posted on 08/04/2017 11:09

We have a 2014 Quasar and so far have had no problem and the caravan was serviced last month. There does seem to have been a bad batch of flooring delivered to them at some point although I had not heard of a problem with the bracing.

You do have to be aware of the problem though as at the Glasgow show one man I spoke to said the dealer told him bouncy floors were common on Lunars and it was not a problem.

dmiller555 replied on 08/04/2017 14:17

Posted on 08/04/2017 11:09 by Wildwood

We have a 2014 Quasar and so far have had no problem and the caravan was serviced last month. There does seem to have been a bad batch of flooring delivered to them at some point although I had not heard of a problem with the bracing.

You do have to be aware of the problem though as at the Glasgow show one man I spoke to said the dealer told him bouncy floors were common on Lunars and it was not a problem.

Posted on 08/04/2017 14:17

It's a design feature. When one falls out of bed it doesn't hurt so much. wink

harryb replied on 08/04/2017 15:24

Posted on 07/04/2017 18:53 by Oneputt

We picked our Lunar Ardingly 2015 from our dealer a fortnight ago after a floor repair.  Our floor delaminated (not through water ingress).  Our floor was damaged in 2 places.  The repair was carried out from beneath and involved cutting sections of the floor out, removing insulation, repairing or replacing framing and then reinserting new insulation and fitting new flooring sections.  We are currently in Germany and so far so good, but only time will tell.  

If you google 'Lunar Quaser floor problems', you will find a number of reports.

Posted on 08/04/2017 15:24

Thanks Oneputt

Some useful stuff there.

The bounce isn't very big, it's in the vicinity of the cooker.toilet door. The section infront of the sink, my work area undecided feels quite solid.

Do I go back to the dealer now or wait to see if it gets worse? What's the worst that can happen?

Oneputt replied on 08/04/2017 16:29

Posted on 08/04/2017 16:29

Harry, if your in warranty I would get it done now.

outside the toilet door was the worst area and we were advised not to walk on it before the repair was carried out.  The area by the sink was nowhere as bad.

if you get under the van and get someone to walk over the damaged area you should be able to assess how bad the damage is by the movement.  I took a video of mine and sent to the dealer when they took, was a fairly blasé approach to my calls.

vulcan558 replied on 14/04/2017 20:27

Posted on 14/04/2017 20:27

We have a 2014 Lunar Quasar 554 and had the exact same problem in the washroom with the floor. Our mobile tech inspected it and contacted Lunar who emailed the workshop cure for delamination which was of no use at all. The problem was that the final section of flooring had been installed the wrong way round so there was no interlock with the panel in front. My engineer made a suitable brace section and installed it from underneath and also for good measure injected the floor panels. Its been solid as a rock since and better than when we got the van. Lunar agreed the repair by the way and footed the bill for it with no problem. Just another schoolboy error to add to the list which unfortunately turned an otherwise great caravan into a hassle. 

gygafo replied on 17/04/2017 21:33

Posted on 17/04/2017 21:33

I'm just ripping the floor up in a 2003 Lunar that had serious sagging in between the fridge and toilet door and had been bodged with an underside repair. I thought it might have been a broken or rotten support but it turns out that the two joining floor panels only overlapped by an inch and apart from no internal timber there was no glue applied to the top of foam and underside of the plywood so the lamination was incomplete. Proper poor manufacturing!

avensis2 replied on 25/04/2017 14:21

Posted on 25/04/2017 14:21

Sadly lunar floors have been dodgy for years, I have repaired several and as others have stated its a carpentry job to cut out the sagging piece and reinforce it, fit insulation and a new piece of ply. 1st one I did I put loads of brass screws in, latter ones I have used a nail gun and short nails which was much quicker.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook