Elddis split gas locker door anyone? Warning!

handsj replied on 28/07/2018 14:43

Posted on 28/07/2018 14:43

We recently carefully shut the locker door on our 2016 Affinity 550, as we have always done. After we noticed a slight resistance, the door literally snapped at the top by the hinge! It now has a split, about a third of the way across, which is now being held in place with duct tape.

After the initial shock we set about trying to find out how this happened. We were horrified to find that the 'door' is in fact just a plastic window, sprayed grey. The 2 supporting gas struts seem far too powerful and due to the width of the window, the struts had literally forced the window hinge out of it's mounting at each side. The resulting distortion meant that the 'door' couldn't then close and hence the 'door' split (horrifyingly easily!) at its weakest point.

IMHO this is just poor design for which there is no excuse. Any Elddis owners reading this - please take care!  Any comments welcome.

Cogit replied on 28/07/2018 16:49

Posted on 28/07/2018 16:49

We had a 2016 Affinity 482 and exactly the same thing happened to our locker lid when the van was 14 months old. I contacted our dealer and the matter was passed to Elddis who refused replacement under warranty as the lid was over 12 months old! I then contacted CAMC insurance and an assessor came out to look at the van. His report stated that this was a manufacturing fault due to the hinge. This went back to Elddis who completely refused to accept his findings. My dealer wanted over £800 to replace the lid unless they found evidence that it was a fault. I watched whilst they took the old lid and the black hinge off the van. Under the hinge there were 23 small vertical cracks which they repaired by drilling holes at each end and then used filler. This was on the main body of the van. The hinge was then reglued over this and the new lid fitted. When I asked about these cracks they said this is what Elddis told them to do which suggests they knew about the problem. I did not pay for the lid or the work. As this van was a replacement for an atrocious 2013 Affinity I no longer had any faith in the Elddis brand and sold the van in September 2017. You should be within your consumer rights to get this replaced without charge as it is a proven manufacturing fault. I, personally, wouldn’t ever again buy an Elddis product. In fact the problems with these last 2 vans led to us giving up vanning after almost 35 years. 

handsj replied on 28/07/2018 17:39

Posted on 28/07/2018 17:39

Thank you Cogit. Having now investigated the design I knew we wouldn't be alone with this problem as I can see the door is actually designed to break!  I see that the design has been completely changed for the 2018 vans. I would normally expect this part to last the life of the caravan.

I have asked the repairer to submit a warranty claim. If Elddis refuse the claim then I will definitely take it further. The whole reason we bought a new caravan was so that we could enjoy stress-free caravanning. This is our 3rd major warranty claim in 2 years!  The joke is that even when it's repaired I will have no confidence in the design.  I will either have to somehow redesign it myself or trade in the caravan.

PS.  we have also been caravanning for 35 years now.  All we want is a trouble-free caravan!

Cogit replied on 28/07/2018 19:06

Posted on 28/07/2018 19:06

It’s a great shame as both our vans were comfortable and suited us perfectly. However, every time we went away something went wrong and in the end we could no longer put up with the hassle. Don’t be fobbed off by Elddis they obviously know it’s a manufacturing fault and, as you say, they’ve now changed the design. 

Dean Shaw replied on 26/07/2019 12:25

Posted on 26/07/2019 12:25

I have just had the exact same thing happen, I went to close the door and heard a noise, looked up and the top left side there was a massive crack, I took off the gas struts and checked them, they are so strong for just a lid and also the hinge above the crack was distorted. its going in for a service tomorrow and lets see what they say

twocals replied on 26/07/2019 15:48

Posted on 26/07/2019 15:48

We have a 2011 elddis the gas struts were forcing the lid out.removed them and we now use a brush, much like a lot of people.

Dean Shaw replied on 24/10/2019 11:53

Posted on 24/10/2019 11:53

Back in July this year I had the same happen to me. its an Elddis rambler from wondahomes knottigley, we bought it last year from them and its 2016. I was emptying it to take for servicing and the locker door cracked, I was only pushing down with my figure tips too. I removed the gas struts and then took it for a service pointing out this issue, they said they would put it in for a warranty claim. weeks went by so I call in and they said it had been rejected, they only give 12 months warranaty on this part. I said so if you buy a car then the door falls off do ford only give 12 months on that?

I called Elddis and they said there was nothing they could do as it was 12months only they gave.

I spoke to wondahomes saying that it should be fit for the purpose as a £16k second hand van should be , they said write in and complain, I did and they just said the same as Elddis, dont seem to give a care, so great customer services on both parts. I am now speaking to black horse finance about it as they financed it. surely this is a design faults that they can't get away with?

does anyone have a good ending? they say it will cost around £900 to fix 

Dean Shaw replied on 15/02/2020 20:27

Posted on 15/02/2020 20:27

yes, I will look at that but also backing the crack with resin after filling the crack with glue and clamping it up to dry, its off back to wonder homes knottingley next week as they are doing some damp work on warranty so I asked them to find out how much a new hedge would be.

I won't buy a van from them or an Elddis again

Dean Shaw replied on 02/03/2020 10:00

Posted on 24/10/2019 11:53 by Dean Shaw

Back in July this year I had the same happen to me. its an Elddis rambler from wondahomes knottigley, we bought it last year from them and its 2016. I was emptying it to take for servicing and the locker door cracked, I was only pushing down with my figure tips too. I removed the gas struts and then took it for a service pointing out this issue, they said they would put it in for a warranty claim. weeks went by so I call in and they said it had been rejected, they only give 12 months warranaty on this part. I said so if you buy a car then the door falls off do ford only give 12 months on that?

I called Elddis and they said there was nothing they could do as it was 12months only they gave.

I spoke to wondahomes saying that it should be fit for the purpose as a £16k second hand van should be , they said write in and complain, I did and they just said the same as Elddis, dont seem to give a care, so great customer services on both parts. I am now speaking to black horse finance about it as they financed it. surely this is a design faults that they can't get away with?

does anyone have a good ending? they say it will cost around £900 to fix 

Posted on 02/03/2020 10:00

just an update

I found some one who makes caravan parts, in fibreglass and not plastic like the original part, only £325 and in the correct colour. I just placed an order

https://caravanpanels.com/cps-eld-503-locker-lid-2314-p.asp

replied on 03/03/2020 16:59

Posted on 03/03/2020 16:59

Hi, we have an Elddis Affinity 482, 2017, it's just had its annual service undertaken and we were informed it had a crack under the window, above the locker.  We were horrified as we've only used the van 4 times since we bought it from a dealer 13 months ago.  We submitted a claim to Elddis and received a reply from them today stating that this is no longer under warranty.  We are devastated, especially as we have just been quoted £4,500 for the repair.  Anyone else out there who has experienced this, or can give us some advice please? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook