Red Pennant "will not cover anything Coronavirus"

KeithL replied on 19/03/2020 13:26

Posted on 19/03/2020 13:26

I contacted Red Pennant regarding coverage of Coronavirus related claims i.e. cancellations and received the following response:

"I have discussed this with a Team Manager who is in charge of Red Pennant. They have confirmed to me that underwriters would not be able to cover anything Coronaviurs and it applies to both all new policies and also any existing policies. If you were abroad when the COVID-19 virus started shutting down the borders of foreign countries, then the Red Pennant would extend until you would find yourself back at home. 

It is worth noting that you can contact your travel operator to request a refund for any ferry journeys that have been cancelled due to the Coronavirus. In regards to any Red Pennant Single Trip cover, as long your trtrip start date has not passed, you can receive a full refund."

I purchased a single trip policy in January for a trip starting in May. At the time the club happily took my money for the policy Coronavirus was not even mentioned in any of the policy terms and conditions so the club is now unilaterally changing the contract they entered into with me at that time.

This is an absolutely disgusting way to do business at best. I suggest everyone who currently has a Red Pennant policy contact the club directly and get their own confirmation of the stance for their own trips if cancellation is necessary for them.

easyonthegas replied on 19/03/2020 16:30

Posted on 19/03/2020 16:30

KeithL

Share your frustration that our insurance terms with Red Pennant have changed, and we are only finding out when we ask. Surely an update to all policy holders would have been the best way to inform members. Even telling us to refer to a website briefing.

I was told

If you just change your mind you would not be covered.

if the FCO advise against travel the Red Pennant would not cover you but we would contact the ferry company and sites to get a refund for you or amend your holiday to later dates.

Travelling against Government advise is not something I would do, as I travel worldwide and the FCO do not over-react with their advise to UK citizens not to travel.

KeithL replied on 19/03/2020 18:28

Posted on 19/03/2020 16:30 by easyonthegas

KeithL

Share your frustration that our insurance terms with Red Pennant have changed, and we are only finding out when we ask. Surely an update to all policy holders would have been the best way to inform members. Even telling us to refer to a website briefing.

I was told

If you just change your mind you would not be covered.

if the FCO advise against travel the Red Pennant would not cover you but we would contact the ferry company and sites to get a refund for you or amend your holiday to later dates.

Travelling against Government advise is not something I would do, as I travel worldwide and the FCO do not over-react with their advise to UK citizens not to travel.

Posted on 19/03/2020 18:28

Must be the only travel insurance provider that does not pay out when FCO advise against travel to a country. Industry commentators are all saying you can get travel insurance payouts when FCO advises again all or all but essential travel to the place you're going. Red Pennant obviously believe the sites we book are on Mars because FCO advise against all but essential travel globally!!

I feel a formal complaint and subsequent referral to the Ombudsman coming on.

Know where I'm never buying insurance again if this is there response to a cancellation claim

replied on 19/03/2020 19:10

Posted on 19/03/2020 18:28 by KeithL

Must be the only travel insurance provider that does not pay out when FCO advise against travel to a country. Industry commentators are all saying you can get travel insurance payouts when FCO advises again all or all but essential travel to the place you're going. Red Pennant obviously believe the sites we book are on Mars because FCO advise against all but essential travel globally!!

I feel a formal complaint and subsequent referral to the Ombudsman coming on.

Know where I'm never buying insurance again if this is there response to a cancellation claim

Posted on 19/03/2020 19:10

Must be the only travel insurance provider that does not pay out when FCO advise against travel to a country.

Actually not the only one at all if you look at exclusions from other insurers. I thought that there would have been cover but not on the T&Cs of several that I looked at

KeithL replied on 19/03/2020 20:52

Posted on 19/03/2020 19:10 by

Must be the only travel insurance provider that does not pay out when FCO advise against travel to a country.

Actually not the only one at all if you look at exclusions from other insurers. I thought that there would have been cover but not on the T&Cs of several that I looked at

Posted on 19/03/2020 20:52

Is that for existing policies or new business?

replied on 19/03/2020 21:28

Posted on 19/03/2020 21:28

I cannot be sure but believe that such an exclusion has been there for a while.

KeithL replied on 20/03/2020 11:11

Posted on 19/03/2020 21:28 by

I cannot be sure but believe that such an exclusion has been there for a while.

Posted on 20/03/2020 11:11

There is no such restriction within any of the policy documentation issued to me in January. I'm aware a lot of providers are currently refusing to provide travel insurance or excluding coronavirus impacts from their coverage as it's now a 'known risk' however that's all new business only. 

As an analogy would people accept Life Assurance not paying out on death caused by Coronavirus when the policy was taken out years ago? No of course they wouldn't so why should the club be able to refuse the cancellation cover people bought, in good faith, as part of the policy when travelling goes against FCO guidance, when you can't even get into those countries because they've closed borders, and/or they've banned all but essential travel within the country to a very short list of acceptable travel reasons?

This is not an example of a club, of which are we are all members and pay our membership fees, acting in the best interests of those members. 

Rufs replied on 20/03/2020 11:56

Posted on 20/03/2020 11:11 by KeithL

There is no such restriction within any of the policy documentation issued to me in January. I'm aware a lot of providers are currently refusing to provide travel insurance or excluding coronavirus impacts from their coverage as it's now a 'known risk' however that's all new business only. 

As an analogy would people accept Life Assurance not paying out on death caused by Coronavirus when the policy was taken out years ago? No of course they wouldn't so why should the club be able to refuse the cancellation cover people bought, in good faith, as part of the policy when travelling goes against FCO guidance, when you can't even get into those countries because they've closed borders, and/or they've banned all but essential travel within the country to a very short list of acceptable travel reasons?

This is not an example of a club, of which are we are all members and pay our membership fees, acting in the best interests of those members. 

Posted on 20/03/2020 11:56

I agree, although I am waiting for a response from the club to my email (phone too busy) requesting they cxl my policy taken out mid Feb for single trip 14th April - 7th July, no response as yet, I would be prepared to accept a credit note so that i could maybe take out a similar policy next year.

Giving cash refunds is not what insurance companies like to do, my daughter had an all inclusive booked for Egypt over the Easter period, all she has been offered is a voucher valid only for 6 months. As i said in a previous post, insurance companies will try to wriggle out of any sort of payout if at all possible.

replied on 20/03/2020 12:31

Posted on 20/03/2020 11:11 by KeithL

Posted on 20/03/2020 12:31

Not to do with Coronavirus at all I still believe that many policies would have exclusions if the travel was prevented by countries closing borders or things of a similar nation in just the same was as they do regarding civil war, riots etc.

Rufs replied on 20/03/2020 13:45

Posted on 20/03/2020 13:45

BF are saying this

We’re now in the process of automatically cancelling customers and issuing a voucher for the amount of the affected sailing. The voucher will be accompanied by an explanatory email (that will further explain your options) and can be redeemed against a future sailing or inclusive holiday with Brittany Ferries. The voucher will remain valid for 12 months.

so, ok you will not get your money back in cash but a voucher for  travel in the future, so if like me you are planning another trip then that is good, if not and RP are not going to pay any compensation then it is not good,but i think this is as good as it is going to get, I did not book my ferries via the club so have no re-dress with the club.

My inbound ferry for 22nd June is a BF flexi ticket so i can simply keep moving the dates out at no extra cost, even into next year.

as for the RP policy as i think stated by you, provided your policy has not actually kicked in then you can cancel and get a full refund.  I am still waiting for the club to respond to my request to cxl.

As for closing borders, technically nobody has closed the borders between France and the UK, BF have cxld all sailings but that is their choice, you can still travel via the tunnel and i believe some ferries out of some channel ports, what the F&CO have said is that they advise against any non-essential travel to many countries in the world, i think valid for 30 days, judging by some reports it would be very difficult to travel in France just now but not impossible, so arguably claus 28? is a non starter, but after having a long association with insurance companies, nothing surprises me.

easyonthegas replied on 13/04/2020 19:18

Posted on 13/04/2020 19:18

I have cancelled my summer trip to Spain one week before the final payment was due.

I discussed this with the Club and they have returned my Red Pennant premium as it was only for a single trip, and refunded the deposit on the sites I have booked.

However the T&C's from BF means that the ferry deposit has been lost. A price to remain safe I suppose.

There is always next year - I hope!!

Stay safe everyone

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook