Will C&MC now be supportive of Motorhome Aires?

StuartO replied on 16/03/2017 15:53

Posted on 16/03/2017 15:53

The Caravan Club has hitherto never been in the least supportive of Motorhome Aires (overnight parking stops as distinct from campsites) seemingly because the Club was an operator of campsites and therefore didn't want any type of alternative overnight stops in UK for motorhomes competing with them.

But now the Club has become the Caravan and Motorhome Club, so will the position change?

No downside for campsites in supporting Motorhome Aires as I see it, we still need lots more overnight accommodation for both caravans and motorhomes in UK, simply to satisfy demand.  Motorhomes make widespread use of Aires (in France) and Stelplatz (in Germany) as well as most other European countries so why not in UK too?  They can be located in places which are too small or unsuitable for a proper campsite (no toilet block, just parking, water and a waste dump) yet still do a useful job. 

Developing Motorhome Aires in UK would add another string to the Club's bow and help to cope with increasing demand for overnight space for caravans and motorhomes, so why not?

Edited for typos

Fisherman replied on 16/03/2017 16:08

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:08

Excellent idea but I fear I will have given up driving before HO consider such a move, if ever

JayEss replied on 16/03/2017 16:24

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:24

Great idea and one I'd get right behind normally but my current preference is for the club to try a bit harder to keep sites on the network, maintain the ones they already have and replace the ones they've lost. 

After all the sites are open to all members. 

If you mean campaigning for them rather than providing them then absolutely they should. They need to raise the profile of the hobby more than they do 

peedee replied on 16/03/2017 16:28

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:28

I didn't dare ask the question but glad you did StuartO. It is an excellent idea but I doubt we will get and answer from the Club. As you say all that is required is a service point and with todays technology they can be barrier controlled and unmanned. Many sites in France have them as annexes to their main site but that of course requires more land at an existing site. The one part of Camping St Claire in Neufchatel is superb but a bit OTT in my view. See attched pic

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2017 16:30

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:24 by JayEss

Great idea and one I'd get right behind normally but my current preference is for the club to try a bit harder to keep sites on the network, maintain the ones they already have and replace the ones they've lost. 

After all the sites are open to all members. 

If you mean campaigning for them rather than providing them then absolutely they should. They need to raise the profile of the hobby more than they do 

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:30

+ 1

At the present time I feel the club needs to prioritise the upgrading of some sites and acquisition of others but campaign by all means.

replied on 16/03/2017 16:46

Posted on 16/03/2017 16:46

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 16/03/2017 17:32

Posted on 16/03/2017 17:32

Back in 2004/2005 the Club claimed it had investigated the posibility of establishing  stop overs with the operators of the service areas on the motorways and claimed it was the operators themselves who were against the Club doing so. I have since seen signs saying you can stay overnight on service areas for an exhorbitant charge although it would not be my choice even if it were cheaper, too noisy with the coming and goings.

They also said the did not rule out the posibility of establishing Aire type facilities and said,

"We have recently looked at this possibility in a variety of formats and have concluded that it is not a feasible proposition at the present time. As in all aspects of network development, the concept will be kept in mind, to be reviewed in the light of any changes to the current situation."

That was in February 2004.

The only visible change I have seen is the increase in the number of motorhomes on the roads, up over 17 percent in 2016.

peedee

StuartO replied on 17/03/2017 09:37

Posted on 17/03/2017 09:37

Designing night halts for use by caravans as well as motorhomes adds to the challenge but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Good to see so much positive support from members.- come on C&MC and committees, get your thinking caps on and show some initiative!  A pilot location to try this idea out would do no harm at all.

allanandjean replied on 17/03/2017 10:04

Posted on 17/03/2017 10:04

Mention is often made of the provision here, the UK, as opposed to the continent, in the main France.Whilst I would welcome a greater provision, for all not just MH owners, there seem to be two main issues.

We don't have the space and how would you decide, apart from say locations as AD suggests, where to put them and, in France, communities have long catered for MH owners in a bid to get them stop and spend.

When we were considering a MH the image in my head was the ability to tour more with lots of stops in convenient and free 'aires'.

My wife was opposed to the 'touring and  lots of stops' and our MH owning friends that holiday with us have commented that increasingly aires are not free to use.

peedee replied on 17/03/2017 10:15

Posted on 17/03/2017 10:15

I think you have to accept their is a cost in their provision and therefore there will be a charge. I'd love to know what the Club's current thinking is. There are always plenty of platitudes but little action. I am sure there must be opportunities in partnership with others.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook