Why do they call it "a Holiday"

BlueVanMan replied on 14/11/2016 17:09

Posted on 14/11/2016 17:09

In communications the CC refer to site bookings in the context of a "holday"  as in "enjoy your holiday". Why do they do that ? Is our hobby not the pusuit of a leisure activity and/or an alternative lifestyle. For me a campervan trip should be an adventure, something exiting, possibly reasonably hard work, planning, driving cooking or whatever. I don't like the term holiday at all and for me itn indicates a lack lof understanding of the ethos of what I (and probably many others)  do. Or is it just me ??

Tammygirl replied on 14/11/2016 17:35

Posted on 14/11/2016 17:35

We don't refer to our trips away with the van as a holiday, but others do.

It doesn't bother me though, holidays to me are something I fly to. Trips in the van are just well 'trips in the van' living in a differant place doing differant things.

For many though especially those who still work going away as a family it is a 'holiday' isn't it.

Kennine replied on 14/11/2016 17:42

Posted on 14/11/2016 17:42

Everytime we go away to another area, be it in the van or to a cottage or to an hotel we treat it like a holiday.  Why not, holidays are to be enjoyed. They are fun.  

To me "trips" mean "day trips"  in the car .  Enjoyable they may be, but I would not class a day trip as a holiday.

Cheers .......... K

JVB66 replied on 14/11/2016 18:03

Posted on 14/11/2016 18:03

In communications the CC refer to site bookings in the context of a "holday"  as in "enjoy your holiday". Why do they do that ? Is our hobby not the pusuit of a leisure activity and/or an alternative lifestyle. For me a campervan trip should be an adventure, something exiting, possibly reasonably hard work, planning, driving cooking or whatever. I don't like the term holiday at all and for me itn indicates a lack lof understanding of the ethos of what I (and probably many others)  do. Or is it just me ??

..Its just youWink,mind you do others find they do more "work " than normall when awaySurprised

InaD replied on 14/11/2016 18:15

Posted on 14/11/2016 18:15

So do you have an alternative wording to"enjoy your holiday"?  To me, any trip of longer than 1 day in the van is a holiday.  I'm not at home, where I might just see something that needs dusting, cleaning or hoovering, so to me it's a holiday.  We go away for 4 or 5 days, sometimes a fortnight, and twice a year for about 7 weeks.  Each and every one of those I call a holiday Happy

On a different note: we don't appear to receive those "enjoy your holiday" emails anymore.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/11/2016 18:54

Posted on 14/11/2016 18:54

'Holiday' derived from Holy day, not for working. If i go away it's a holiday, no work whatsoever-just pleasureHappy

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook