Supreme court

groovy cleaner replied on 06/04/2017 10:32

Posted on 06/04/2017 10:32

see that the guy who refused to pay the fine he got for taking his daughter out of school in term time to take her to Florida has lost his case anyone else think this practice of hiking prices up at school holiday times should be stopped and CAMC should lead the way by starting the ball rolling before you all jump on me I've not got kids but as I'm single on minimum wage some of the prices for peak season are out of my budget !!

mickysf replied on 06/04/2017 10:43

Posted on 06/04/2017 10:43

Interesting, but what's to do? Should providers just average their prices across the year? What other 'fair' to all models, if any, could they apply I wonder?

groovy cleaner replied on 06/04/2017 10:51

Posted on 06/04/2017 10:43 by mickysf

Interesting, but what's to do? Should providers just average their prices across the year? What other 'fair' to all models, if any, could they apply I wonder?

Posted on 06/04/2017 10:51

ye suppose the answer for me is to do what I have done and go to a site without facilities so it's cheaper ,York has come up spaces free at Easter but at nearly £23 night even for me will have to give it a miss 

brue replied on 06/04/2017 12:53

Posted on 06/04/2017 10:43 by mickysf

Posted on 06/04/2017 12:53

Since everyone is affected by high seasonal prices, it's a difficult question but the business method makes money when demand is higher and "stocks" are limited whether it's holidays, consumer goods, fuel etc. 

Steve Scott replied on 06/04/2017 13:00

Posted on 06/04/2017 13:00

I don't know how it could work but i do believe something needs to be done.Just had a e-mail from a well known travel company,quoting a good price for all inclusive in Tenerifecool. Trouble was wrong time of year looked at cost for a week in July with four adults and two children (grandchildren) first two weeks £3400 last two weeks (start of summer holidays) £5300.Where is the justice in that,there was a chap on breakfast this morning going on about how the parents should be taken out and whippedcry if they took there children out of school during term time. Nothing about whipping the teacherstongue-out that can have all the time off that they want (stress,sickness & strikes). Granddaughters teacher has been off for two weeks now where is the continuity there?. 

Steve

JVB66 replied on 06/04/2017 13:11

Posted on 06/04/2017 13:11

A "few years ago" when our children were at school,I was in a job  that was run 24/7 and on shift work to cover,and it was only a few times that my holidays were during school holidays,so it was either take them out of school or not have a holiday

Cornersteady replied on 06/04/2017 13:15

Posted on 06/04/2017 13:15

Bit harsh there Steve on teachers,

that can have all the time off that they want (stress,sickness & strikes).

Are only teachers allowed to take time off for stress, sickness and strikes then? As your granddaughter's teacher has been off for more than a week, a doctor's note will be required, are you saying that this teacher should have to be in work?

However you have hit the nail on the head earlier in your post. When saving £1900 what's a £60 fine?

Cornersteady replied on 06/04/2017 13:19

Posted on 06/04/2017 13:19

This appeal (that's all it was and pushed by the Isle of Wight council who will pick up the bill) won't change anything at all. All it enforces is that councils can issue the £60 fine. Parents can still take their children out of school. However once a certain limit, usually below 80-90%, is reached then prosecution will take place for non attendance, but even then that takes a long time.

Metheven replied on 06/04/2017 13:23

Posted on 06/04/2017 13:23

A 'pioneering' primary school in Hull is changing its holiday dates on a trial basis for one year, one of the said benefits would be to parents in that the holidays would be out of the peak prices.

Obviously if every school adopted this scheme the holiday firms would move with it, but why not adopt differing school holidays throughout the country! Just a thought.

<LINK>

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook