Should the Club put it's foot down?

willbee replied on 13/10/2019 14:38

Posted on 13/10/2019 14:38

It's good that over the last few years the Club has been moving towards being more aware of the needs of our planet and the care of it's environment. Certainly sites like Poolsbrook with eco aware facilities are to be aplauded. The Club rightly should encourage, even expect, it's members to play their part in cutting energy consumption, and think beyond "just me".

Is it then time for the Club to introduce a TOTAL ban on awning heaters on thie sites? No doubt some members will see this as an infringement of their rights. That right being, in this case, to completely ignore the consequences of using energy in what is basically an outdoor space.

And the rest of us can just shut up, stop whinge-ing on, and pay for their electricity wastage in our site fees.

At least some CL owners are aware of this, and have moved to banning awning heaters on their sites.

replied on 13/10/2019 14:51

Posted on 13/10/2019 14:51

Is it then time for the Club to introduce a TOTAL ban on awning heaters on their sites?

In my opinion no. And I don't even use an awning and have not for nearly 8 seasons. I could give reasons why I say this but I am about to go out and so, if required, they must wait!

Tinwheeler replied on 13/10/2019 15:01

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:01

Why not ban all electricity usage on site? LPG - that comes from oil so better ban that as well.

Willbee, the club cannot enforce it. Dogs are seen off lead or on too long a lead, people speed on site, cyclists go the wrong way around the one way system, we're told our fellow members leave the facility block dirty… and so it goes on. You need to be realistic and work out how such a proposed ban could be policed when the foregoing examples remain unenforceable. It's one thing for a CL owner to check on 5 units but quite another for wardens who do not work 24/7 to police a site of 100 pitches.

The biggest contribution you and I could make towards being eco-friendly is to give up our hobby. You up for it?

Cornersteady replied on 13/10/2019 15:04

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:04

No, the club is not an offshoot of the green party (pun intended) it is a holiday leisure organisation offering a pitch. Beyond un-reasonable behaviour why it it dictate how you enjoy your holiday?

Would you expect a hotel to enforce what you do with your electricity in a room? You seem to be fixated on awning heaters why? Using your full 16A inside the caravan is Ok somehow but outside it no? OK ban them and people will just leave the door open?

Also you (one) does not pay for my electricity, the club does.

Anyway willbee, I recognise you are sincere in your concern in posting this so I take it you are doing your bit? Any examples you want to share?

Of course the best one would be to sell your caravan and go camping with a bike? Bit too far perhaps?

replied on 13/10/2019 15:10

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

lornalou1 replied on 13/10/2019 15:16

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:16

I think these tree huggers want us to go back living in caves. Why moan about awning heaters when you use more fuel to get to your destination towing your van, why not buy a tent and load in car and save the planet, or a rucksack on your back. climate change has been here since the world began as what melted the ice age as no man on planet to contribute to it.  

Amesford replied on 13/10/2019 15:26

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:26

impossible if someone was using a kit made by Truma (I think) that directs air from the van blown air system out into the awning.

Our old van came with one of those fitted you could get more heat sucking on an extra strong mint. How about meters fitted on the hook up posts surprised 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/10/2019 15:32

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:26 by Amesford

impossible if someone was using a kit made by Truma (I think) that directs air from the van blown air system out into the awning.

Our old van came with one of those fitted you could get more heat sucking on an extra strong mint. How about meters fitted on the hook up posts surprised 

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:32

I think the OP wants to reduce power consumption rather than make us pay per unit. 

Cornersteady replied on 13/10/2019 15:39

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:26 by Amesford

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:39

That has been discussed in the past and the cost was very high which cannot be recouped so would just add to site fees.

Metered or not I'll use the same electricity anyway. 

moulesy replied on 13/10/2019 15:40

Posted on 13/10/2019 15:40

Well I know some CLs ban this practice and some well known commercials too (Ross Park for one). But personally I don't see the problem as long as folk are actually using their awnings (we've never had one big enough to sit in!). I don't see caravanning as a hardship to be endured - I like to think it's a comfortable, enjoyable way of holidaying.

What I do dislike is seeing heaters in awnings with no-one actually in them - but then I'm aware that some folk leave their heating in the van on when they go out for the day which, to me is just as bad.

replied on 13/10/2019 16:06

Posted on 13/10/2019 16:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook