Resting on one's Laurels

elddistwins replied on 23/03/2021 23:00

Posted on 23/03/2021 23:00

I have been a club member just a short time in comparison to most club members, just 3 yrs. I started off using Club Sites whilst my partner and I got the hang of Caravanning again. We now try to use CL sites as we feel the club sites are expensive for what we use them for, ie just a base as we always use our own facilities.

I've noticed how much each site varies in the way it's run, we stayed at Coniston Park Coppice where the site is in amongst the NT Woodland. A fantastic setting, but the pitches are poorly distributed by the staff, when you book a Pitch on a club site your outfit details are included, so I can't understand why Pitches aren't designated by van size as the Park Coppice ones vary so much in size, so much so that we ended up blocking an access road with our van (8.2m long) when we were told it would fit. Sorry but it wouldn't take much to go round and measure the pitches and note them so they could be reserved for the longer vans booked in. We also reported another club member running their grey waste into the Park, which then took 3 days before anything was said and done about it, this being an NT site with Deer etc present you'd have thought there would have been a little more urgency in acting upon this.

Also we stayed at Bridlington Club site and were told we don't reserve pitches, as your van will fit on ALL of them. well it did fit on the one we chose but only just, then the Wardens coned off 2 other big pitches ...... and so 2 twin axle vans duly arrived and took up their reserved spaces !!!!!!! WTF???? 

I feel the club is resting on it's Laurels and really needs to take a look at itself in order to keep going forward, or is it being run the same way as our Motor Industry and succumb to lack of improvement. 

Comment from the Community Manager: Many thanks for your feedback which we do really appreciate and I am sorry you had concerns when staying on our sites. We do state in the guidelines that the best channel for any complaint is to email to the relevant department so if you can send your concerns to a member of the team that would be great. Please see here for our contacts for email addresses at the Club and thank you again for your feedback. 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/03/2021 23:23

Posted on 23/03/2021 23:23

I think your issues could have been explained by the wardens at these sites. It's too late after the event to deal with them and establish the full story. Always discuss your problems or observations with the wardens at the time.

allanandjean replied on 24/03/2021 07:56

Posted on 24/03/2021 07:56

Hi, I regularly stay on a CL which is your basic field with a tap, cess pit and a bin.

On that CL, and others I have used, I was told to run/tip my grey waste alongside the hedge or somewhere convenient which would not affect others.It is also made clear that grey waste shouldn't be put in the cess pit

The reason the person you saw doing this could be down to a number of things from genuine and acceptable to not.

Re the pitches-there can be many reasons for this, mobility issues etc, and I understand it can feel 'wrong',maybe ask next time, but it seems that you were allocated a pitch and that has not been my experience.

JVB66 replied on 24/03/2021 08:17

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:17

I take it that you were in your van all day to note it took 3 days to note any thing was done ref the waste water?

I can remember a few years ago when the Warden  at Park Coppce  who we knew advised  ,they had given up trying to "satifisfy"members who did not accept the advise they were given as to what pitches would suit their LVs in their words "it doe not matter what we advise if they do not LIKE what we have suggested they will find one they did and get on it" 

I remember when Clumber Park was a lot more enclosed ,with pitches among the trees ,the Warden there said similar,

I take it you did not enquire from the staff at Brid the reason for the "reserved pitches" after the information you were given?

replied on 24/03/2021 08:32

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

MikeyA replied on 24/03/2021 08:53

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:53

I take it that you were in your van all day to note it took 3 days to note any thing was done ref the waste water?

If the OP was out all day every day but by the end of day 3 the pipe was discharging into the ground, it would be reasonable to assume ;

a) it is acceptable to the warden or b) the warden has done nothing about it.

I would hope if it was a) he would have reported back to the OP.

It was nice seeing the OPs view but I don't think he will return for another grilling, as a member of only 3 years he obviously didn't realise he is not allowed to comment.

eribaMotters replied on 24/03/2021 08:55

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:55

I prefer not to use "normal" C&MC sites. On the occasions I have, the only times I can recall being a designated/no choice pitch was during high occupancy times when they were obviously having to plan carefully. Other times I have been told to have a look at a selection available and let them know where I have decided. This to me sounds fair.

Colin

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/03/2021 09:01

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:53 by MikeyA

If the OP was out all day every day but by the end of day 3 the pipe was discharging into the ground, it would be reasonable to assume ;

a) it is acceptable to the warden or b) the warden has done nothing about it.

I would hope if it was a) he would have reported back to the OP.

It was nice seeing the OPs view but I don't think he will return for another grilling, as a member of only 3 years he obviously didn't realise he is not allowed to comment.

Posted on 24/03/2021 09:01

+1 MA👏🏻👏🏻

Tinwheeler replied on 24/03/2021 09:27

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:55 by eribaMotters

I prefer not to use "normal" C&MC sites. On the occasions I have, the only times I can recall being a designated/no choice pitch was during high occupancy times when they were obviously having to plan carefully. Other times I have been told to have a look at a selection available and let them know where I have decided. This to me sounds fair.

Colin

Posted on 24/03/2021 09:27

Choosing your own pitch is the norm, EM, but the OP has a large unit which needs an allocated pitch on some sites. That's why max size is stated in the site details with a note to contact the warden in advance if you have a large van.

JVB66 replied on 24/03/2021 09:39

Posted on 24/03/2021 09:39

Was it via a pipe? or as has been noticed, via their waste container with the cap off to try to deguise what they were doingundecided

Comment? or just not really a problem who reported the waste?

replied on 24/03/2021 10:29

Posted on 24/03/2021 10:29

The user and all related content has been deleted

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook