One Day Bank Holiday Weekend

jomo65 replied on 14/03/2016 20:12

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:12

Well I am here to moan about the poor process that the caravan club operates.

I work full time and have a family. I am also self-employed so time with my family is precious and limited.  Over the last few years it has become increasingly harder perhaps impossible, to book and plan our holidays.

Firstly we are forced to decide on a working day in December, when, where and how long we would like to go to any destination for the year. It’s like a rugby scrum as the website is so busy and overloaded that it keeps crashing and the page needs refreshing.

Secondly, if you’re lucky enough to get the site you fancied and got through on the website, you can’t book it because someone has only booked the Saturday but either side of the weekend is free. This seems to be on all of the sites including bank holidays or summer holidays.

I don’t think I am ‘just unlucky’ as I have noticed a few people comment in the caravan magazine (March issue 2016). We generally try and get as many weekend breaks as we can but due to the nature of the booking process and people being allowed to book one night we have been forced for the last few years to book on private sites, with our friends who have also been members of the caravan club for years.

It is now decision time for us as yet again for the Easter breaks we have booked a private site near the Lakes.

Shame on you Caravan Club! We pay membership for a service we cannot receive and yet your happy to take our monies each year. 

Tinwheeler replied on 14/03/2016 20:39

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:39

It's hard luck, Jomo, but the system is the same for everyone. No system will suit all due to varying personal circumstances and it is those very circumstances of yours that clash with the CC arrangements.

Perhaps it's time for a rethink if you feel your membership fee is not buying you value?

replied on 14/03/2016 20:46

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:46

You that you book in December and annot get sites? Balderdash

IanH replied on 14/03/2016 20:47

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:47

And the worst of it is, Jomo.....many of those weekend bookers will cancel 3 days before the weekend you wanted.....because they can, with no penalty.

Cornersteady replied on 14/03/2016 20:50

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:50

so someone who wants to book just one night wouldn't be able to since you want to change the current system to suit your needs? Why are you different to anyone else and deserve such special treatment?

For sone reason club sites are in demand at peak times and at the moment the booking system is fair to all.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/03/2016 20:53

Posted on 14/03/2016 20:53

When did you decide to book? Two weeks prior to holiday is a tad close especially for Lakes sites. I would forget the Clubs website booking, try phoning the Wardens, they may have released more pitches and get cancellations. If your needs are quite specific ie, HS only, toilet block only, must go with friends then appreciate this won't suit. Good luck!

Whittakerr replied on 14/03/2016 21:06

Posted on 14/03/2016 21:06

With respect what a load of tosh. Until last year due to our circumstances we could only book sites two or three weeks in advance at the most, sometimes it was less than a week. We never had a problem finding a site, including a weekend, in areas we wanted to go, and we never wanted to go to the same place twice, so there was plenty of choice. Admittedly, there are always a handful of sites that are fully booked the weekend you want to go at short notice, but if you desperately want a particular site on a particular weekend you know what you have to do. Not too hard in my opinion.

Cornersteady replied on 14/03/2016 21:14

Posted on 14/03/2016 21:14

With respect what a load of tosh. Until last year due to our circumstances we could only book sites two or three weeks in advance at the most, sometimes it was less than a week. We never had a problem finding a site, including a weekend, in areas we wanted to go, and we never wanted to go to the same place twice, so there was plenty of choice. Admittedly, there are always a handful of sites that are fully booked the weekend you want to go at short notice, but if you desperately want a particular site on a particular weekend you know what you have to do. Not too hard in my opinion.

I must agree, there is also the late availability on the booking screen.

moulesy replied on 14/03/2016 21:19

Posted on 14/03/2016 21:19

Without rehashing all the old arguments about the CC booking system, frenzy day, deposits etc (all of which, I feel, show that the C&CC have a superior booking system), I can't help feeling slightly suspicious of the OP's motives in starting this thread now. Certainly there was loads of availability over Easter at all the CC sites in the Lake District well after December 4th, so the point about not being able to book then is simply not accurate. Also, I doubt very much if anyone has booked just the Saturday and nothing else for that weekend.And it's hardly surprising that Lake District sites are showing full for Easter now, less than a fortnight away. Of course, some of these might be cancelled still, but there's no way of predicting that at the moment. 

Fortunately, though, there must be many CLs in the area which would welcome your custom over the Easter weekend, if you do decide to remain members so it might be worth having a look at some of them. Happy

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook