Now I know that rules are rules BUT

Chris102 replied on 19/03/2018 11:43

Posted on 19/03/2018 11:43

Will we be in the naughty book for cancelling a booking within 72 hours?

If we are is it fair?

My friend and I had planned to host a New Companions meet at Castleton C&MC site starting 18th March for 5 nights. Due to the extreme weather conditions we at first postponed the arrival date to 19th and then had no choice but to cancel completely because we could not get our Motorhomes off the drive. Some of the Companions that were due to join us were travelling 150 to 200 miles and all agencies were warning not to travel unless essential.

When my friend phoned to say that we had to cancel the warden reminded her that we were cancelling within 72 hours. He also said that 5 inches of snow fell overnight 18th/19th at Castleton.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and received the “you are naughty” email.

Should extreme weather conditions be taken into account when it is necessary to cancel at short notice?

I would like a response from the member of the C&MC that monitors this forum.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 19/03/2018 11:53

Posted on 19/03/2018 11:53

It’s an email not a court appearance. It’s computer generated as a matter of course(as others have stated) it’s to stop the repeat time wasters. You get 3 before it goes further. Don’t worry👍🏻😊

Kennine replied on 19/03/2018 11:56

Posted on 19/03/2018 11:56

Forget it, don't worry about it. -- If you don't feel confident that travelling to any site can be done safely due to the the weather - Cancel the booking. -- There's no disgrace in that. 

Metheven replied on 19/03/2018 11:58

Posted on 19/03/2018 11:58

Read the last post from a member of staff <HERE>

richardandros replied on 19/03/2018 12:00

Posted on 19/03/2018 12:00

And yet that same snow caused the Wardens at Sandringham when we were there, to ring round and cancel people due to arrive.  Wonder if they sent themselves an email?undecided

Takethedogalong replied on 19/03/2018 12:06

Posted on 19/03/2018 12:06

Phone the site and explain circumstances. Ask them to note your reasons. I had to cancel a pitch recently at very short notice, Wardens were very understanding, and no email sent. But if you do get one, just ignore it, but make a note of weather conditions and what you did somewhere, just in case you get into a dispute. Not that it usually comes to that!

RowenaBCAMC replied on 19/03/2018 12:21

Posted on 19/03/2018 11:43 by Chris102

Will we be in the naughty book for cancelling a booking within 72 hours?

If we are is it fair?

My friend and I had planned to host a New Companions meet at Castleton C&MC site starting 18th March for 5 nights. Due to the extreme weather conditions we at first postponed the arrival date to 19th and then had no choice but to cancel completely because we could not get our Motorhomes off the drive. Some of the Companions that were due to join us were travelling 150 to 200 miles and all agencies were warning not to travel unless essential.

When my friend phoned to say that we had to cancel the warden reminded her that we were cancelling within 72 hours. He also said that 5 inches of snow fell overnight 18th/19th at Castleton.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and received the “you are naughty” email.

Should extreme weather conditions be taken into account when it is necessary to cancel at short notice?

Posted on 19/03/2018 12:21

Hi Chris102,

We fully appreciate that giving advance notice of a cancellation may at times be difficult, especially due to the adverse weather conditions that we have recently been experiencing.  

To clarify, if there were three instances of late cancellations within the calendar year, we would review the circumstances around each cancellation using any notes held on the system, and would contact you if further information was required. Situations such as this would always be considered on a case by case basis, and no action would be taken without first reviewing the late cancellation history and the members individual circumstances.

Please be assured that the Club has every desire to be sympathetic where a member is doing everything reasonably possible to avoid late cancellations. As such we will not be penalising members for genuine cancellation reasons. By no means do we want members to put themselves at risk by travelling when it is not safe to do so.

Chris102 replied on 19/03/2018 15:29

Posted on 19/03/2018 15:29

Hi Rowena

Thank you for your reply.

It is very reassuring to know that circumstances are taken into consideration.

We didn’t want to cancel but felt that we had little choice.

regards

Chris

Navigateur replied on 19/03/2018 15:37

Posted on 19/03/2018 15:37

If one needs to cancel within the 72 hour window, I THINK this may be a way to avoid censure.

Don't cancel, but change the booking slightly so it starts more than 72 hours in the future, and possibly also ends later.  Log on again before the 72 hours for the amended booking has been reached and cancel.

As we are dealing with a computer here it will only do what it has been told, and I don't think anyone has told it to check if a cancelled booking had previously been amended.

Fisherman replied on 19/03/2018 16:08

Posted on 19/03/2018 16:08

Giving thought to the regular abusers there me thinks!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook