Insidious Development

STANO replied on 19/04/2018 17:19

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:19

Question!!! Why and Who made the decision to install static accommodation units on Club site's.Surely these sites are provided for members who take to the road in their own funded vehicles,why are we now being asked to fund the life style of these "Static Dwellers".Are these Static Units really for the use of friends and family? If so why is their a 10percent discount for members.No they will be rented out to people who have not the slightest interest in our way of life.If friends or family want to experience caravaning and motorhoming their is always the opportunity to hire.I would be pleased to be enlightened on what the perceived benifits are to the caravan and motorhome club member A further point is that the number of pitches available to members will be reduced this is especially important at peek periods.A large area at Coniston Park Coppice has been allocated to these Static Units complete with their veranda decking.We members are funding this cost and will not derive any benifit.It is time to stop this Insidious Development.

replied on 19/04/2018 17:21

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:21

I don't think that you are alone in disliking this 'progress'

Kennine replied on 19/04/2018 17:31

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:31

Don't agree.. Statics can be highly profitable for the Operator ( The CMC ). This income can subsidise the overall running costs of campsites which are only busy at weekends. 

Who says that the CMC is a touring organisation any more anyway. Most Caravanners just pitch up on one site and stay there for the duration of their holidays. You are more likely to see real touring being done by Motorhomers who will stay a couple or so nights on one site and move on to another site, doing their touring on route.

Yes I like the idea of choice and if the CMC is promoting Statics Cabins and Yurt type accommodation, good for them  They are giving their customers a real choice. 

wink

Cornersteady replied on 19/04/2018 17:33

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:33

I think the answer as to who, is the club

Why? to make more money

Hiring costs money and if under a certain weight/age will need a towing test. Buying an outfit costs money, then insurance and storage... This way will allow people to visit a campsite cheaply and who knows maybe like the look of the caravans and motor homes and decide it's for them. How many of us started out in tents?

My daughter and boyfriend are going to use one when we're at Coniston late August and September.

The thing is these pods will either be successful and the club will maybe get more, or they won't and they will go.

It's called progress, at one time people didn't want tents and/or MH?

Cornersteady replied on 19/04/2018 17:48

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:38 by Tinwheeler

Some still donโ€™t frown

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:48

I have a dream that one day this club will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all outfits are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Chatsworth the sons of caravaners and the sons of motor-homers will be able to wash together at the dishwashing area.

I have a dream that one day even the state of overthere, a state sweltering with the heat of not booking, sweltering with the heat of arrival anytime, will be transformed into an oasis of the club values and peace.

I have a dream that outfits will one day live in a club where campers will not be judged by the colour of their dogs but by the content of their character

Kennine replied on 19/04/2018 18:03

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:48 by Cornersteady

I have a dream that one day this club will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all outfits are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Chatsworth the sons of caravaners and the sons of motor-homers will be able to wash together at the dishwashing area.

I have a dream that one day even the state of overthere, a state sweltering with the heat of not booking, sweltering with the heat of arrival anytime, will be transformed into an oasis of the club values and peace.

I have a dream that outfits will one day live in a club where campers will not be judged by the colour of their dogs but by the content of their character

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:03

Don't think so Corners..  The CMC is to most Caravanner's eyes still the "Caravan Club" (for towed caravans only.)

Motorhomes are apparently just tolerated so long as CC campsites don't have to be modernised in any way to accommodate them. Statics and cabins and lodges even less so.

Until the Towed caravans reduce in numbers, as they certainly will due to forthcoming restrictions on Towcars, the CMC will still bend over backwards to support the intransigent views of the diehard Caravanners first and foremost above all others.

cool

eurortraveller replied on 19/04/2018 18:22

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:22

My children and grandchildren love cabins and lodges on campsites. Does the Club have places like this ? 

Tinwheeler replied on 19/04/2018 18:23

Posted on 19/04/2018 17:48 by Cornersteady

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:23

Let us rally to the call  - caravanners, motorhomers, tenters, podders et al. Under the outer shell, we are as one. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

JVB66 replied on 19/04/2018 18:32

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:03 by Kennine

Don't think so Corners..  The CMC is to most Caravanner's eyes still the "Caravan Club" (for towed caravans only.)

Motorhomes are apparently just tolerated so long as CC campsites don't have to be modernised in any way to accommodate them. Statics and cabins and lodges even less so.

Until the Towed caravans reduce in numbers, as they certainly will due to forthcoming restrictions on Towcars, the CMC will still bend over backwards to support the intransigent views of the diehard Caravanners first and foremost above all others.

cool

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:32

I wish i could understand why some Campervan and Motor Caravan (the recognised by DVLA name) owners/leasers/,hirers, still have a chip on their shoulders about the "senior"caravan ownership when every one seemed to get on quite well since 1972 when first accepted by the Caravan Club wink

Ps the Caravan Club have had other holiday accommodation than touring pitches on several sites on the network for decadescool

Tinwheeler replied on 19/04/2018 18:41

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:32 by JVB66

I wish i could understand why some Campervan and Motor Caravan (the recognised by DVLA name) owners/leasers/,hirers, still have a chip on their shoulders about the "senior"caravan ownership when every one seemed to get on quite well since 1972 when first accepted by the Caravan Club wink

Posted on 19/04/2018 18:41

Chip? Do you mean me? No chips here other than those with my fish. I couldn’t give a ...(supply a word of your own choice)... what others think of my unit or method of vanning. Likewise, I couldn’t care less what description appears on my V5.

What is clear, though, is that some still regard a non-towed van, a canvas structure, or a wooden camping unit as the spawn of the devil.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook