Club site energy cost hike.

replied on 20/02/2019 12:34

Posted on 20/02/2019 12:34

AS an Engineer, Can I suggest, Given the investments that the club make on the sites and the expected hike in fuel cost, it is obvious now that the club should look at renewable energy for the future, Solar as well as ground. Given the areas and more so if there is a running stream or river that is close by and getting hydro energy. The initial cost would be high, but the returns would be beneficial on the hot water used and on eco LED lighting. The investment would then be securing a stable operational cost and with the benefits of lowering  the carbon footprint. I believe there are many grants available for such businesses and I know the likes of Worcester Bosh or Vaillant or Vieessman  may be interested in sponsorship. Let alone the TV media benefits if we were to get on the likes of Country file.   I think this would be a perfect project and a good model to lead with. Making some calculations the returns could be within 5 years on an average if on oil or LPG if done with a upgrade of the toilet and shower block. 

JVB66 replied on 20/02/2019 14:37

Posted on 20/02/2019 14:37

I would think it would depend on where the site is situated ,if it is wholly  owned by the club? (not many) and the rest how long the lease is left to run, and what restraints are imposed by the landlords and whether it would all be cost effective ,for the membership,when trying to recoup the high costs of some installations,even with grants and/or sponsorship

Tinwheeler replied on 20/02/2019 15:00

Posted on 20/02/2019 15:00

Not to mention where the panels and turbines would be placed. We could reduce pitch numbers drastically to fit them in, I suppose. Maybe even do away with having LVs on site?

The club are taking such measures as they can on new and refurbished sites.

Media benefits? There often aren't enough pitches to meet demand now.

ABM replied on 20/02/2019 15:50

Posted on 20/02/2019 15:50

TW,  very  naughty  of  you  to  suggest  that  Luncheon  Vouchers  could  be  done  away  with  surprised

redface replied on 20/02/2019 19:11

Posted on 20/02/2019 19:11

Don't put wind turbines anywhere near a caravan site!

Stayed on such a site in Essex a while back and found the stroboscopic effect of the blades shadows whilst turning, in the sunshine, to be quite nauseous.

In addition, the noise of the sweeps as they rotated did not help when it came to sleeping.

The turbine was in the field next door.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/02/2019 19:14

Posted on 20/02/2019 19:14

"Stayed on such a site in Essex a while back and found the stroboscopic effect of the blades shadows whilst turning, in the sunshine, to be quite nauseous."

I understand that effect can induce seizures in epileptics. 🙁

Hallsontour replied on 20/02/2019 20:33

Posted on 20/02/2019 20:33

Great idea Terry, I agree that the business should be looking into ways of sustainable energy, even if it's simply solar panels on the reception and shower block roof spaces. 

They would have to look at the site lease etc but surely more can be done than is now??

Wherenext replied on 20/02/2019 21:38

Posted on 20/02/2019 21:38

Whilst I agree that more use should be made of Solar panels on roof space of the buildings and even using Rainwater for use in toilet blocks  I agree with Reface about turbines. Very noisy sometimes. 

In addition I think we may have problems convincing the National Public that we are an Eco friendly bunch, what with our Diesel belching tuggers and Motorhomes, awning heaters and use of electricity to power most things on sites and in LVs.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/02/2019 21:43

Posted on 20/02/2019 21:38 by Wherenext

Whilst I agree that more use should be made of Solar panels on roof space of the buildings and even using Rainwater for use in toilet blocks  I agree with Reface about turbines. Very noisy sometimes. 

In addition I think we may have problems convincing the National Public that we are an Eco friendly bunch, what with our Diesel belching tuggers and Motorhomes, awning heaters and use of electricity to power most things on sites and in LVs.

Posted on 20/02/2019 21:43

Yep, it’s the hypocrisy thing again.  

JVB66 replied on 20/02/2019 21:53

Posted on 20/02/2019 21:38 by Wherenext

Posted on 20/02/2019 21:53

I think some club site have done what they can in respect of harvesting water and solar power 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook