Club AGM 2022

peedee replied on 04/11/2022 13:51

Posted on 04/11/2022 13:45 by eurortraveller

Thanks for pointing it out - though I came away thinking that CL owner is relying too much on theClub for his advertising, marketing and publicity. - and is complaining too much.about the Club. He could instead think how he would sell his site if he ran a “grown up” site outside the Club altogether. Lots of owners do that successfully. 

Posted on 04/11/2022 13:51

Far from it ET, he had a booking system even before CL booking came along of which I think he was a founding member. The CL was also a CL of the year in the past.

Peedee

brue replied on 04/11/2022 13:54

Posted on 04/11/2022 13:45 by eurortraveller

Thanks for pointing it out - though I came away thinking that CL owner is relying too much on theClub for his advertising, marketing and publicity. - and is complaining too much.about the Club. He could instead think how he would sell his site if he ran a “grown up” site outside the Club altogether. Lots of owners do that successfully. 

Posted on 04/11/2022 13:54

Euror, I think you've missed the point entirely and this is about the AGM and responses from CAMC to questions from members.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/11/2022 14:39

Posted on 04/11/2022 14:39

Well, that was a read and a half!!! I can't quite make up my mind how the Club view member opinion. It seems they are determined to push their vision through whatever members think, no doubt with the hope we will get used to it. I appreciate that they were responding to individual questions but virtually every response was defensive. I did pick up that they are going to trial some form of metering on a couple of sites next year although as yet no detail. 

Has anyone seen the results of the voting as so many seemed to be using that facility this year to register a protest?

David

eurortraveller replied on 04/11/2022 15:01

Posted on 04/11/2022 13:54 by brue

Euror, I think you've missed the point entirely and this is about the AGM and responses from CAMC to questions from members.

Posted on 04/11/2022 15:01

I don’t think I missed the point at all. It was just another person complaining.Those who don’t like the Club’s booking system - whether owners or tourists - should leave it . It isn’t compulsory.

Graydjames replied on 04/11/2022 16:24

Posted on 04/11/2022 14:39 by DavidKlyne

Well, that was a read and a half!!! I can't quite make up my mind how the Club view member opinion. It seems they are determined to push their vision through whatever members think, no doubt with the hope we will get used to it. I appreciate that they were responding to individual questions but virtually every response was defensive. I did pick up that they are going to trial some form of metering on a couple of sites next year although as yet no detail. 

Has anyone seen the results of the voting as so many seemed to be using that facility this year to register a protest?

David

Posted on 04/11/2022 16:24

Of course, the answers are going to appear largely defensive. That's what happens when you're under attack! What did you expect? In fact, I thought they did a good bit of retaliation as well. 

I have not read some of the latter questions and answers on issues that are of little interest to me - such as dogs, sponsorship, the magazine, etc., but I read the responses on the big, controversial issues. Quite frankly, I thought all the answers fair and reasonable with the possible exception of the response on the integrity and functionality of the new booking website.

I thought this especially so on the questions of deposits and pricing and on matters such as arrival times, Crystal Palace, cleaning times, electricity and opening sites for motorhomes to drop their grey waste - with the resulting encouragement of wild camping.

I realise that, at least in the eyes of many who post in this place, such treachery, as being seen to accept and agree with the Club's hierarchy, will leave me vulnerable to all the vociferous critics; but I genuinely feel that much of the criticism levelled at the Club in recent months has been misplaced and, in many cases, unfounded.

Members can vote with their feet if they want to; I am very happy where I am. 

JVB66 replied on 04/11/2022 16:44

Posted on 04/11/2022 16:44

Your response to the.big question the booking system is how the club normally answer when they are on the back foot  try to gloss over the problem with no real answer

As for those questions you thought were answered as a positive to the question  could it be they were all old chestnuts that over  the years that they have been asked before  the answers have always been basically the same? 

Graydjames replied on 04/11/2022 17:00

Posted on 04/11/2022 16:44 by JVB66

Your response to the.big question the booking system is how the club normally answer when they are on the back foot  try to gloss over the problem with no real answer

As for those questions you thought were answered as a positive to the question  could it be they were all old chestnuts that over  the years that they have been asked before  the answers have always been basically the same? 

Posted on 04/11/2022 17:00

To your first paragraph: Yes, you're probably right. No real answer.

To your second paragraph: You mean that those other questions have been asked many times in the past, so their answers are well rehearsed and have not changed?   

Yes, probably you're right there too. But, so what? What's your point? 

Cornersteady replied on 04/11/2022 17:13

Posted on 04/11/2022 16:24 by Graydjames

Of course, the answers are going to appear largely defensive. That's what happens when you're under attack! What did you expect? In fact, I thought they did a good bit of retaliation as well. 

I have not read some of the latter questions and answers on issues that are of little interest to me - such as dogs, sponsorship, the magazine, etc., but I read the responses on the big, controversial issues. Quite frankly, I thought all the answers fair and reasonable with the possible exception of the response on the integrity and functionality of the new booking website.

I thought this especially so on the questions of deposits and pricing and on matters such as arrival times, Crystal Palace, cleaning times, electricity and opening sites for motorhomes to drop their grey waste - with the resulting encouragement of wild camping.

I realise that, at least in the eyes of many who post in this place, such treachery, as being seen to accept and agree with the Club's hierarchy, will leave me vulnerable to all the vociferous critics; but I genuinely feel that much of the criticism levelled at the Club in recent months has been misplaced and, in many cases, unfounded.

Posted on 04/11/2022 17:13

+1

The club isn't some political party that aims to get your vote in some form of ballot, it's quite easy if members don't like what they hear/read or get on site then other providers are out there.

Just to point out that I'm not defending the new booking system which I've already described as long winded and easy to make errors on or how it was introduced but it's here and if anyone wants to use club sites (and I do) then the system has to used. 

TimboC replied on 04/11/2022 17:24

Posted on 04/11/2022 17:24

Well said Gray 👏👏👏👏

InaD replied on 04/11/2022 17:45

Posted on 04/11/2022 17:45

but I genuinely feel that much of the criticism levelled at the Club in recent months has been misplaced and, in many cases, unfounded.

I think that a lot of people have had genuine reasons for criticising CAMC as a result of the new system.  Personally I still find it too awkward and difficult to use when I've tried to look for CLs.  I don't consider myself computer illiterate at all, but compared to other websites surely this must be one of the worst?

I have also heard of people being charged twice when paying a deposit, not getting email confirmation of bookings and now having to supply DOBs when making a booking.  I don't class that as misplaced or unfounded criticism.

I would like to vote with my feet, as I won't be booking CAMC sites; I booked 2 sites before the new system was launched and will honour those bookings.  After that, I won't use them, as I also think they are getting too expensive, or at least, more than I'm prepared to pay.

We now predominantly use CLs and for that reason only we remain members.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook