Group bookings for non members

Brian Mascard replied on 28/05/2023 17:47

Posted on 28/05/2023 17:47

Just bought our first caravan and joined the CAMC club.

Back from our first trip away. We went to the CAMC site in Bognor Regis for 3 nights. The facilities on this site were clean and very good

Our first two nights were quiet and there were no problems, but the third night was a different affair. A group of more than 20 non members turned up and decided to spend the night in the awning next to our caravan. Kids bikes everywhere and I was concerned that my car was going to get damaged.

I lay awake until 1AM in the morning listening to the group talking and the Boom boom of their radio. I believe a number of people complained but I was not one of them because we do not know the rules. I was told this was a rare occurrence by other members of CAMC but I only have this one experience to go.

I have to ask the question CAMC, why would you let a large group of non member book onto the sight. Surely you are just asking for trouble.

Brian Mascard

Moved from Story Section

Arch replied on 28/05/2023 18:09

Posted on 28/05/2023 18:09

This is extremely rare I've never experienced this on a club site but have on a commercial one, in my experience usually the warden has a walk around the site after 10pm to check, you should have complained strongly to the wardens and send an email to the club with a strong complaint also put a review on The clubs Trust Pilot page you will get a response there but not on here.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/05/2023 09:38

Posted on 29/05/2023 09:38

In such circumstances the site staff should always be your first port of call. If I recall correctly the Littlehampton site is unusual in that some private (?) static caravans have access through the Club site road system? Whether that access is anything to do with the problem you experienced I think only the site staff could tell you. In 40 odd years of using Club sites I would say that it was a very unusual experience.

David

eurortraveller replied on 29/05/2023 10:32

Posted on 29/05/2023 10:32

Brian, Sorry to read that you were unhappy. But honestly, look at the photo of that site. You don’t go there tor privacy. So choose carefully next time.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/05/2023 10:56

Posted on 29/05/2023 10:56

Bognor Regis tends to be a noisy site due to traffic on the surrounding busy roads but what you experienced, BM, is unusual and unacceptable.

Some sites are forced to accept non-members as a condition laid down by the local authority so the club has to abide by that. Incidentally, how do you know they weren’t members?

As has been said, always tell the warden of such occurrences whether caused by members or non-members but hopefully you won’t meet this behaviour again.

Arch replied on 29/05/2023 15:29

Posted on 29/05/2023 10:32 by eurortraveller

Brian, Sorry to read that you were unhappy. But honestly, look at the photo of that site. You don’t go there tor privacy. So choose carefully next time.

Posted on 29/05/2023 15:29

Looking at the photo it looks just like any other popular club site, the reason I joined. the club was we were getting similar experiences on some commercial sites, I joined because the club had high standards and rules, as such I have never been disappointed, there is no excuse for shrugging off such behaviour, the club should investigate the incident to prevent it happening to others, I hope the OPs experience isn't a sign these standards are slipping.

DaveCyn replied on 29/05/2023 15:41

Posted on 28/05/2023 17:47 by Brian Mascard

Just bought our first caravan and joined the CAMC club.

Back from our first trip away. We went to the CAMC site in Bognor Regis for 3 nights. The facilities on this site were clean and very good

Our first two nights were quiet and there were no problems, but the third night was a different affair. A group of more than 20 non members turned up and decided to spend the night in the awning next to our caravan. Kids bikes everywhere and I was concerned that my car was going to get damaged.

I lay awake until 1AM in the morning listening to the group talking and the Boom boom of their radio. I believe a number of people complained but I was not one of them because we do not know the rules. I was told this was a rare occurrence by other members of CAMC but I only have this one experience to go.

I have to ask the question CAMC, why would you let a large group of non member book onto the sight. Surely you are just asking for trouble.

Brian Mascard

Moved from Story Section

Posted on 29/05/2023 15:41

The simple answer as to why is money!

Don't forget non-members pay an extra £15 a night!

Cornersteady replied on 29/05/2023 15:53

Posted on 29/05/2023 15:53

I am not sure what privacy has to do with the OP as it was never mentioned? Also what does privacy and unacceptable behaviour have in common, or how not having enough privacy can lead to the behaviour described?

No matter what privacy one has the sound of twenty people in one awning would still carry?

In 24 years of using club sites this has fortunately never happened to me but if it did I would be straight round to the wardens caravan/MH/house well before 1 am. If am disturbed so that I can't sleep then the wardens can be too, that's the point of them living on site.

I am really sorry it happened to you BM, hopefully it won't again, as Arch says send in a  complaint to the club direct to stop this happening again to someone else.

brue replied on 29/05/2023 16:04

Posted on 29/05/2023 16:04

It happened to us once at The Howard, one bank holiday break, a parent had obviously loaned out their van to a son in his twenties and he was joined by a huge group of pals complete with guitars etc. I don't expect the visitors paid as they just arrived randomly during the evening and stayed the night in the van and the awning. We decided it was a bank holiday and some only get that short time off from work so although it was noisy we didn't feel like complaining and it's never happened since.

If you do feel strongly about something it's better to act at the time of the event.

It's an outdoor type of holiday so it can happen anywhere, even with CAMC.

Tammygirl replied on 29/05/2023 17:09

Posted on 29/05/2023 17:09

What a shame for that to happen on your first CAMC site visit. 

As others have mentioned it very unusual to have that happen, we've never come across that before in the UK. 

Overseas on the other hand it can happen quite often when all the family members and friends decide to join in and it goes on for days. 

Don't let it put you off, BHs can be the worse time to be away so if you can avoid them my advice would be do so. You might like to try out some of the excellent small sites called CLs only ever 5 vans on site perfect for BHs and high season. 

replied on 29/05/2023 17:34

Posted on 29/05/2023 17:34

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook