Alderstead access

peter1945 replied on 07/05/2017 17:12

Posted on 07/05/2017 17:12

I've heard some disturbing news about access to this site via Dean Lane due to its narrowness.  Unfortunately whichever direction you approach the Site you have to use Dean Lane.  Any advice regarding the route would be helpful.  I usually use Copilot Satnav as its got a caravan towing app.

eurortraveller replied on 07/05/2017 20:10

Posted on 07/05/2017 20:10

Lady in Plymouth was dutifully using her satnav last week, and when it said Turn left at Tesco she did as she was told.

Vicmallows replied on 07/05/2017 20:18

Posted on 07/05/2017 19:21 by HelenandTrevor

Probably best to follow the CAMC directions to site, rather than sat nav, that way you shouldn't have any problems. 

Posted on 07/05/2017 20:18

Really? Some sites will inevitably have access roads which could potentially be difficult.  If this worries you, then check out the route beforehand on Google streetview.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/05/2017 20:46

Posted on 07/05/2017 20:46

Having been to the site at least twice I have not had any difficulty following the Club's written instructions from the Handbook. For reassurance I agree with the idea of looking on Google Earth/Streetview.

David

Navigateur replied on 07/05/2017 20:54

Posted on 07/05/2017 20:10 by eurortraveller

Lady in Plymouth was dutifully using her satnav last week, and when it said Turn left at Tesco she did as she was told.

Posted on 07/05/2017 20:54

I once did something like that!  I was assisting the Social Work Department of the local council to deliver 50p coins to elderly housebound during a period of deep snow.  We identified one recipient to be living in a nice street of sheltered bungalows so I drove down the street in my Land Rover and stopped opposite the door.  The recipient was pleased but very surprised to see us.

The next time I passed by the end of the street I realised why as without the two feet of snow I saw it wasn't a street at all but facing front gardens with little paths and flights of steps!

Fozzie replied on 07/05/2017 22:13

Posted on 07/05/2017 22:13

If you follow the Club directions up Sheppards Hill it will bring you to the other end of Dean Lane avoiding the extremely narrow end by the coffee shop.When you enter Dean Lane you only drive 100 odd yards to enter the site approach road on the right.

Read the sites reviews for warnings on following sat nav.

peter1945 replied on 08/05/2017 10:06

Posted on 08/05/2017 10:06

Thanks for everyone's advice.  Google street scene was a great help and access to Dean Lane via Rooks Lane looks favourite although even that looks a bit tortuous in places (you can tell I'm new to this caravan lark can't you!).

Fozzie replied on 08/05/2017 10:53

Posted on 08/05/2017 10:53

Unless you are coming in from Caterham town centre and passing Chaldon you should not enter the Rooks Lane road.

If you follow Shepards Hill (B2031) its not exactly steep but a hill never the less,wiggle arounds a couple of bends by the reservoir,and as the road continues to the right,you will do a left into Dean lane.

If you go on Streetmap it may make above sence!! 

Bakers2 replied on 09/05/2017 21:25

Posted on 09/05/2017 21:25

Just posted this elsewhere, so if BBC OB are going it can't be too bad?

out of interest 😲 I went onto CAMC fb page and had a scroll, yesterday 8th may this was posted, thought you may be interested ????? To visit? Or to watch.?

Good Morning Britain will be broadcasting live from our Alderstead Heath Club Site on Thursday 11 May. Andi Peters will be on site interviewing Director General Nick Lomas as part of their fantastic Swift motorhome giveaway. Why not come and pay us a visit on site this week? A word of warning though, it's going to be an early start! Book your pitch below.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook