Co-ordinate input using Garmin

yp250 replied on 30/09/2020 03:07

Posted on 30/09/2020 03:07

Hi all could anyone please explain the coordinate numbers in the site book are they n s e or w and which format do I need set on my garmin nuvi 55 to input them didn't map references make  more sense  regards yp250 ps its my scooter model

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

SteveL replied on 30/09/2020 12:35

Posted on 30/09/2020 12:35

The cordinates are latitude (degrees north of the equator) and longitude degrees east / west of the Greenwich meridian. A - sign denotes west, no sign east.

I don't have a garmin but on my sat nav I select a new destination and opt for coordinate input. This brings up a screen asking for the North latitude coordinate and then the East or West longitude coordinate. On my sat nav E or W are used, others use nothing or a - minus sign, as in the site book.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/09/2020 13:14

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:14

Just a word of caution, yp. Never rely on your sat nav on the final approach to a site. The written instructions in the handbook and on the website are designed to get your caravan/MH to the site entrance over the most suitable access roads. 

EmilysDad replied on 30/09/2020 13:30

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:14 by Tinwheeler

Just a word of caution, yp. Never rely on your sat nav on the final approach to a site. The written instructions in the handbook and on the website are designed to get your caravan/MH to the site entrance over the most suitable access roads. 

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:30

While I generally agree with you .... ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‰ .... the hand book's route is very much a 'safe route' A few years back I arrived at Castleton's site and in conversation said which way we'd got there. Staff were aghast that I'd driven there via Winnat's Pass ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„ (I didn't ignore the book ... just didn't read it)

Tinwheeler replied on 30/09/2020 13:48

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:30 by EmilysDad

While I generally agree with you .... ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‰ .... the hand book's route is very much a 'safe route' A few years back I arrived at Castleton's site and in conversation said which way we'd got there. Staff were aghast that I'd driven there via Winnat's Pass ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„ (I didn't ignore the book ... just didn't read it)

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:48

๐Ÿ˜ฑThat's twice lately๐Ÿ˜‚.

Again and again I see reviews of club sites and CLs commenting that the sat nav has taken the reviewer the wrong or inappropriate way to a site, or even missing the site. Folk seem not to be aware of the club's guidance to always use the written directions๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ.

Putt Family replied on 06/10/2020 20:32

Posted on 06/10/2020 20:32

The Garmin unit has a few settings for the GPS format we use the decimal option and Google maps satelite view and street view to find the CL entrance then use Google to show the GPS details.

Once we have this GPS details we set a route with the Garmin and then use a feature on the Garmin to Shape the route, we base the shape on the directions as given from the CL site book then save the route on the Garmin. Works well we had a Tomtom once which had a similar kind of feature with waypoints.

Takes a bit to get used to but easy once set up and spot on to arrive at the CL.

yp250 replied on 07/10/2020 09:58

Posted on 07/10/2020 09:58

Thank you all for your replies first time using this forum - all in all this seems to be not much of an improvement on os map references. Yes I do agree I never rely on sat nav only  The camping and caravan site at Bakewell is a good example - I used my scooter to find it and  sat nav brought me though very narrow lanes across the hill above the site.  If you see a Freedom caravan with a red Skoda Yeti, say hello.     

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook