What odd jobs needed on site?

Tigerboy replied on 29/08/2018 10:07

Posted on 29/08/2018 10:07

Greetings fellow travellers,

I'm a man in his late thirties (alright, I'm approaching forty) and looking to travel the UK sometime next year. In order to fund our travels, my wife and I have been thinking about odd jobs that I (or we) might be able to do around caravan parks. I don't currently have a lot of notable DIY skills (something I hope to remedy) but was wondering what jobs I might be able to do to earn some decent money. Caravan cleaning for example? How about greasing chassis? Can anyone tell me what jobs people need doing that don't require a lot of skill or knowledge but are considered important and are decently paid?

Thanks Very Much

Oliver

Oneputt replied on 07/09/2018 09:01

Posted on 07/09/2018 09:01

Whether you would be able to carry out some of those jobs on a site is perhaps debatable.  Why not investigate becoming relief wardens on various sites?

JVB66 replied on 07/09/2018 09:29

Posted on 07/09/2018 09:29

I do not think,you would be able to do any sort of work you are looking at on club sites, for a start caravan washing is frowned upon on club sites,and any sort of maintanance has all sorts of H&S "problems" and you would also have to be covered by your own insurance and certificates of competancy,

You may be be able to "help"out on sites as a volunteer which can help with your pitch fees, contact HO and see what they say, 

Ps you would also need to be a member of either of the club's 

Other than that you would have to contact the owners of commercial sites 

Tinwheeler replied on 07/09/2018 09:34

Posted on 07/09/2018 09:34

To work as you suggest, TB, will involve carrying public liability insurance amongst other things. Caravan cleaning is not allowed on club sites and I’ve never found anyone who greases their chassis. Any necessary lubrication will be done if/when vans are serviced.

Sorry if I sound negative but I’m not sure you have fully thought this through and it’s better to discover pitfalls sooner rather than later. Good luck, anyway. 

Extugger replied on 07/09/2018 09:52

Posted on 07/09/2018 09:52

TB I can only echo what has previously been written. Perhaps try commercial/private sites? Most caravanners tend to get an annual service done on their vans and unless you're a competent electric or gas fitter you are legally not allowed to go anywhere near someone's van, particularly on Club Sites.

There's many an occasion where I would have paid for someone to clean my van too, but site rules forbid.

I wish you good luck in your quest, but as they say on Dragons Den - 'I'm out'

Navigateur replied on 07/09/2018 10:14

Posted on 07/09/2018 10:14

The cleaning of caravan exteriors would find plenty of custom, but you would need to offer your services to people who lived near to whatever site you were staying at. No idea how you would get in touch, as people don't usually stay at a nearby site!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook