What about a 'Caravan Club Freecycle' group?

ValDa replied on 28/03/2012 19:07

Posted on 28/03/2012 19:07

For those not familiar with Freecycle, it's a way of giving away stuff you dont want, which might otherwise go into landfill,  and getting things you do want - all for free!  There are local groups, set up by local people, you join your local group, and you post what you want to give away.  People email to request it, and you choose the 'lucky' recipient!  You can also post if you are looking for something, and anyone with such an item to give away can get in touch with you.

We've given away lots of things, and got lots of other things in return.  At the moment we're giving away a basic microwave, and various other bits and pieces from elderly mum-in-law's house, and have just received a garden table and six chairs, and a leisure battery for the caravan.

We have thriving local groups - but what about a similar scheme on one of these forums?  That would certainly cut the cost of touring, if people could get things for free!  Maybe the CC staff could investigate the practicalities of the idea - it might be better on a local basis, after all the whole point is recycling and saving resources.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/10/2017 15:31

Posted on 04/10/2017 15:31

Merve

I assume you have just responded to this as its suddenly appeared again rather than searching it out? Why I ask is I want to ask a question on admin on this issue but just want to be clear before I go ahead.

Thanks

David

Pippah45 replied on 04/10/2017 18:57

Posted on 04/10/2017 18:57

For what it's worth I think that's a great idea - before my time ValDa posted that - but it's weird how topics jump up from a while ago!

Merve replied on 04/10/2017 19:26

Posted on 04/10/2017 15:31 by DavidKlyne

Merve

I assume you have just responded to this as its suddenly appeared again rather than searching it out? Why I ask is I want to ask a question on admin on this issue but just want to be clear before I go ahead.

Thanks

David

Posted on 04/10/2017 19:26

Yes Dave , it just appeared but I do tend to check the dates of posts now and I know we are having this continuous problem with old posts popping up out of the blue- best of luck with admin by the way ! 

Nuggy replied on 04/10/2017 22:51

Posted on 04/10/2017 22:51

The one point that would make it difficult to work, is that the person receiving must do the travelling to collect, that is why the freecycle groups are "local". Travel expenses would negate a low value object.

Merve replied on 05/10/2017 08:11

Posted on 05/10/2017 08:11

Well the first thing I would ‘let go’ is my 240v hook up cable which is now obsolete. 😂😂

artyboo replied on 14/11/2017 18:43

Posted on 14/11/2017 18:43

I suggest such a thing recently and the thread was blocked for further interrogation: I have heard nothing since.

i love the idea, especially for those starting out, finding their feet on what they need/don’t need. 

I guess the response will be the classifieds ‘Free to a good home’.

do you have to pay to advertise?

ValDa replied on 16/11/2017 16:23

Posted on 16/11/2017 16:23

Blimey, where did this pop up from - the deepest depths of East Grinstead's cellar?  I wonder how they become resurrected like this as this must have been amongst the very early posts on Club Together. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook