Trying to ID correct LED bulbs, advice please

Hedgehurst replied on 10/05/2017 21:33

Posted on 10/05/2017 21:33

We plan to swap the standard bulbs on our van with LED's, as so many have advised. As usual I get lost in the jargon. The bulbs I've just taken out say, as far as I can tell on the rather wobbly stamp, HP21W12v(E2). Or maybe it's "IHP21W  " etc.

Obviously I want 12v bayonet replacement LED bulbs, but what I don't know is how many of the numbers & letters in the spec have to match, for them to fit, and work!

For example, I get offered "380 BAY15D 1157 WHITE 12 DOME LED DRL SIDELIGHT SIDE LIGHT BULBS SLD200101"  and also "R5W BA15S P21W 1156 9 LED Car Tail"  which also looks the right thing, but again, I don't know. They both fit "standard" car tail lights, but I know from my own car that bayonet fittings and size vary in sometimes annoying ways!

So any advice on how much of these figures on the side of mine need to match would be very welcome please.

As would comments on how many LED's are needed for a useful light one offers "12 Dome LED", one 9 LED, but I'm (can't resist this....) completely in the dark about how many will be either useful or merely a poor glow-worm.

There are lights costing £2.99 a pair, and also ten times that - difficult to know whether it's worth spending the extra, or just a case of being ripped off.

Thanks as ever for all the shared expertise here,

Richard

SteveL replied on 10/05/2017 22:16

Posted on 10/05/2017 22:16

When I converted our previous van I used Aten lighting. Bought both at the NEC show and online. They are very good and you can phone and talk to them. There are plenty of pictures on their website, so you can compare bulb shapes. They also detail what sort of ordinary wattage bulb they are designed to replace and the number of lumens, so you can compare brightness.

ATEN lighting

Prices do vary a lot as you have noticed. The Aten ones are not particularly cheap. However, the ones I bought were well made and fully voltage regulated. Some of the less expensive ones are not. As in a caravan or motorhome the voltage can vary between 12.2 and 13.8, depending on the state of battery charge and if you have the charger on, this important to be sure of reliable use.

chasncath replied on 11/05/2017 20:57

Posted on 11/05/2017 20:04 by eurortraveller

HH, Why did you not delete some of your multiple posts on this subject? 

Posted on 11/05/2017 20:57

It's very easy to make multiple posts on this forum. If one is not aware that there can be a considerable delay between hitting the 'send' button and the post being processed,  a newcomer may press the button thinking that their earlier attempts have not been successful.

I'm sure that a friendly 'mod' will be along shortly to tidy up the errant posts. So don't fret ET innocent

Hedgehurst replied on 12/05/2017 09:33

Posted on 11/05/2017 20:04 by eurortraveller

HH, Why did you not delete some of your multiple posts on this subject? 

Posted on 12/05/2017 09:33

Very fair question - by the time I realised there were three, the website, or the connection, or something in the machinery was working so slowly that the "edit" option had expired, and to be honest, each transaction was taking so-o-o long that I lost the will to go on bashing my head against its brick wall! I think I explained in one of these parallel universes that my first attempt was met with a message saying the posting had failed. Then it appeared three times.

We seem to be down to 2 parallel threads now.
If there's a friendly moderator seeing this who can combine these into one, that would be even better...

Astro76 replied on 14/07/2017 17:03

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:03

Hi all.

I recently switched the Halogen lights in my van for LED's.  Looking forward to trying it out next week.  For the project, I found that using ATEN was a breeze.   Figured out what the bulbs were using the instructions  on their site.  Also figured out the most appropriate replacement for each fitting and switched everything over.

In total I had 5 MR11 bulbs, 6 G10 with side pins, 2 MR15 and one G10 with back pins (I used a tower bulb for that one)

Worked out changing out all the bulbs saved me over 85W of power. That's enough to run my Laptop!

Also, I'm expecting that the bulbs themselves will run a lot cooler than the old halogens.  Which will be fantastic for the spotlights which did get rather hot.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook