Tow-car choices

geoffeales replied on 24/10/2020 10:58

Posted on 24/10/2020 10:58

The time to change cars has come around again and the same old questions arise. My first beef (and many times mentioned here) is why we buy a 4x4 when we (that's the royal we) only tow half a dozen times a year? We mainly use club sites and we have a motor-mover, so do we really need a 4x4 at all? The next question is diesel or petrol? As far as I'm concerned an all-electric tow-car is still years away and way, way out of my league price-wise, but I do have genuine concerns for the planet and would definitely consider a hybrid, although they're not that cheap to buy or run. We have an Coachman VIP which isn't light so our choices are fairly limited bearing in mind I have long-term back problem and prefer upright seating such as you get with 4x4s and MPVs. Your thoughts ladies and gents would be greatly appreciated!

EmilysDad replied on 24/10/2020 13:38

Posted on 24/10/2020 13:38

There are many pseudo 4x4s around ..... they just look like a 4x4, but if you prefer the up right seating position for you back, where's the harm in buying one? 

My preferred tow car is diesel with a slush box auto first & foremost .... the body style would come next. 

replied on 24/10/2020 13:47

Posted on 24/10/2020 10:58 by geoffeales

The time to change cars has come around again and the same old questions arise. My first beef (and many times mentioned here) is why we buy a 4x4 when we (that's the royal we) only tow half a dozen times a year? We mainly use club sites and we have a motor-mover, so do we really need a 4x4 at all? The next question is diesel or petrol? As far as I'm concerned an all-electric tow-car is still years away and way, way out of my league price-wise, but I do have genuine concerns for the planet and would definitely consider a hybrid, although they're not that cheap to buy or run. We have an Coachman VIP which isn't light so our choices are fairly limited bearing in mind I have long-term back problem and prefer upright seating such as you get with 4x4s and MPVs. Your thoughts ladies and gents would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on 24/10/2020 13:47

I suppose that a lot depends on what the vehicle is also used for. We have a 15 year old X-Trail but that is used mainly for towing and longer runs. I also have back issues. Also does a few miles a week shopping to keep it in use between holidays. The rest of the time we use a 20 year old Yaris. 

replied on 24/10/2020 14:12

Posted on 24/10/2020 14:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 24/10/2020 14:39

Posted on 24/10/2020 14:39

A modern 4x4 (suv) is almost as economical as a two wheel drive as with our 2ltr diesel  auto , the extra weight of the second powered axle is a bonus, and as other have said used very litlle if at all,  but will kick in automatically if the car electronics feel the needcool

geoffeales replied on 24/10/2020 15:00

Posted on 24/10/2020 13:38 by EmilysDad

There are many pseudo 4x4s around ..... they just look like a 4x4, but if you prefer the up right seating position for you back, where's the harm in buying one? 

My preferred tow car is diesel with a slush box auto first & foremost .... the body style would come next. 

Posted on 24/10/2020 15:00

I've looked at a few of these, for example the Hyundai Tuscon, the problem is that according to the CC matching app the pseudo ones often have smaller engine so there are power issues and/or they're too light. I guess that extra drive-train brings the weight ratio up to the mark. My favourite so far is the Ford S-max 2.0D which has good power/weight match and a very comfy driving position. Anyone got one of these?

JVB66 replied on 24/10/2020 15:26

Posted on 24/10/2020 15:00 by geoffeales

I've looked at a few of these, for example the Hyundai Tuscon, the problem is that according to the CC matching app the pseudo ones often have smaller engine so there are power issues and/or they're too light. I guess that extra drive-train brings the weight ratio up to the mark. My favourite so far is the Ford S-max 2.0D which has good power/weight match and a very comfy driving position. Anyone got one of these?

Posted on 24/10/2020 15:26

What size engine do you want/needsurprised

EmilysDad replied on 24/10/2020 16:09

Posted on 24/10/2020 14:39 by JVB66

A modern 4x4 (suv) is almost as economical as a two wheel drive as with our 2ltr diesel  auto , the extra weight of the second powered axle is a bonus, and as other have said used very litlle if at all,  but will kick in automatically if the car electronics feel the needcool

Posted on 24/10/2020 16:09

that's because (as you suggest) most of them predominantly only drive 2 wheels ..... that's why they're nearly as economical 😏

That'll be why my car doesn't understand the term of 'economy' 😉

Phishing replied on 24/10/2020 19:49

Posted on 24/10/2020 15:00 by geoffeales

Posted on 24/10/2020 19:49

No but it was my first tug for 2 to 3 years. It tows very well and is stable with bags of torque. The only criticism was that it was a bit softly sprung on the rear springs, not serious but could wallow a little bit. It is available with self levelling rear shocks that sorts it out and make it even better but this is an expensive option.

When I got mine I had the Titanium, the sporty one was available but the sport bumper kit on the back would not take a towbar without serious modification.

Also look at the Galaxy, same car with a tailgate not a fastback.

DSB replied on 25/10/2020 00:21

Posted on 25/10/2020 00:21

We've gone through a similar quandary recently.  In the end we went for another Disco 4. 

For us, it was more than the 4x4 question..... it was about space in the tow car.  These days, many caravans made In the UK have a relatively poor user payload, so we tend to carry so much equipment the car.  In the end, it was a bit on a no brainer for us.  I wouldn't have gone for anything other than a large 7 seater, with plenty of height at the back.  Not only do we occasionally carry 7 people (mainly adults who need some decent leg room), but as well as caravan stuff, there are occasions when I need to transport piano keyboard, stands, speakers etc.  

I quite liked the Mercedes Viano, but the rear seats have to be removed - they don't fold flat......  and the wife didn't like the idea of a 'van-car'.

Carry space, especially when caravanning, was a big deal for us.  

David

geoffeales replied on 25/10/2020 09:23

Posted on 24/10/2020 19:49 by Phishing

No but it was my first tug for 2 to 3 years. It tows very well and is stable with bags of torque. The only criticism was that it was a bit softly sprung on the rear springs, not serious but could wallow a little bit. It is available with self levelling rear shocks that sorts it out and make it even better but this is an expensive option.

When I got mine I had the Titanium, the sporty one was available but the sport bumper kit on the back would not take a towbar without serious modification.

Also look at the Galaxy, same car with a tailgate not a fastback.

Posted on 25/10/2020 09:23

thanks for this, very helpful.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook