Tom Tom sat nav - good price

DavidKlyne replied on 30/11/2016 12:52

Posted on 30/11/2016 12:52

E Buyer have a TomTom Start 60 at a good price at the moment. It has a 6 inch screen. I expect it has been discontinued by TomTom but for anyone thinking of buying a new sat nav it might be worth a look.

David

Edit 05/04/2017 - The link is no longer showing the Start 60 which I assume has sold out.

replied on 30/11/2016 13:01

Posted on 30/11/2016 13:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 30/11/2016 14:17

Posted on 30/11/2016 14:17

AD, my 'very' elderly TomTom One V3 is my back up to my slightly less elderly Classic XXL.

The One last got a new map about 4yrs ago, and that needed to be chopped into chunks to get in on the unit.

the last update to the XXL was in the Autumn last year and, up to then i could get all onto the unit in one go....this is now not the case.

i checked out the lates update and they require seperate uploads.....

so, i decided that id gone as far as i could with the XXL and made a secure backup of the latest position, and decided i wpuld only put mapshare updates (and POI files) onto it....

if i ever need a new one i will buy one....

the thing with 'chunks' is that you might need to switch if all the countries in a tour are not in the same chunk...

i dont use a laptop and cant store the maps on this ipad...or can i?

JVB66 replied on 30/11/2016 14:33

Posted on 30/11/2016 14:33

We have a start sixty (4yrs) and the last map update this year  made it very unreliable as to routes on several occasions, on one journey it took us through a housing estate with speed humps,then put us back on the road we had just come off 2miles further onYell and it was not because we had "missed"  the route instuctions!!

We now have the Garmin C/van&camper ,got it from Aldi 

EmilysDad replied on 30/11/2016 14:36

Posted on 30/11/2016 14:36

... on one journey it took us through a housing estate with speed humps,then put us back on the road we had just come off 2miles further onYell and it was not because we had "missed" the the route instuctions,

My TomTom did similar recently Sad

young thomas replied on 30/11/2016 14:41

Posted on 30/11/2016 14:41

check you have it set to 'fastest' route....speed humps through a housing estate sounds like 'shortest' route to me...

re: my earlier question to self about ipad compatibility....

there are apps to run Tomtom software as a navigator on ipad and iphone, however for its stand alone units, Tomtom requires an inteface program (either MyDrive or Tomtom Home) to provide the intelligence for the unit....

unfortunately, while there is a Mac version, there is no ipad/iphone version....so users must rely on a Windows or Mac computer.....bit last century.....(well, my steam driven XP box isWink)

JVB66 replied on 30/11/2016 14:44

Posted on 30/11/2016 14:44

check you have it set to 'fastest' route....speed humps through a housing estate sounds like 'shortest' route to me...

re: my earlier question to self about ipad compatibility....

there are apps to run Tomtom software as a navigator on ipad and iphone, however for its stand alone units, Tomtom requires an inteface program (either MyDrive or Tomtom Home) to provide the intelligence for the unit....

unfortunately, while there is a Mac version, there is no ipad/iphone version....so users must rely on a Windows or Mac computer.....bit last century.....(well, my steam driven XP box isWink)

...The Tom Tom 60 has not that option of fastest or shortest,it was fine at first with "free"map updates ,but the more it uploaded as requested the more unreliable it got,i think its a way of getting you to get a later modelWink

DavidKlyne replied on 30/11/2016 22:20

Posted on 30/11/2016 22:20

David

I had an email recently from TomTom warning me that my very elderly TT will shortly be no longer able to take  even part map updates due to the ever increasing size of them. I have no idea how many models are involved but it would be prudent to check before buying.

David

TomTom's have always been a bit mean on the internal memory. The Start 60 does have a micro SD card slot which I use for the Camper Maps I have down loaded on mine. I have had mine now for four years and I certainly haven't had the experience of some regarding routes. It has almost faultlessly navigated us all over Europe with no issues.

David

young thomas replied on 01/12/2016 08:59

Posted on 01/12/2016 08:59

For Information.....

just spent some time last night getting together all the 2016 (latest) POIs for CC/CLs/CCC/CS/Forest/Listed sites, aires, bordatlas, mylpg, ACSI etc....(with Archie's Camping as back up.) and loading them onto my two Tomtoms...

the problem these days is that many of these Euro files are now split by country which makes this a much longer, pedantic process..

still, all seems to be working, so sorted for our Channel Hop in January, where aires, ACSI and LPG will be the order of the day (10 weeks.....Happy)

if anyone would like a copy of the latest aires data, its available from campingcar-infos.com but there are 9 types for around 25 countries and sorting it out can be hard work..

...i have the following 5 types (which we use the most) set up for Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia..

1. service area only, no overnight parking

2. service area with overnight parking

3. dedicated daytime MH parking, no services 

4. general daytime parking (incl MH), no services

5. general day/night parking (incl MH), no services 

...i can email these files to any CTer who is interested....

feel free to pass contact details via Rochelle (if this is allowedUndecided)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook