The easiest way to make touring cheaper

tigerfish replied on 27/04/2018 10:40

Posted on 27/04/2018 10:40

The easiest way to make touring cheaper is not to use CC Cub sites!  I haven't used one for over three years now, and use small commercial sites for out main Holidays (Absolute Max of £17 per night) but mainly CL's at about £12 per night usually including EHU..

Have just spent 7 Nights on a CL  in Suffolk, EHU,full service pitches for £12 per night (£84 total)  Beautiful site with no houses visible and grass well maintained !  So why pay double that and more for a CC Club site?

TF

Oneputt replied on 27/04/2018 11:41

Posted on 27/04/2018 11:41

Your right TF although on occasions we use club sites due to their location when suitable cl’s aren't available.

richardandros replied on 27/04/2018 11:54

Posted on 27/04/2018 11:54

Totally agree TF - we always look first at CLs and Cs's when going somewhere new.  The only thing that puts me off some is accessibility.  With a large van and towcar, I tend to shy away from those that might throw up  unnecessary hazards when towing.  In this connection, Club sites (of either Club) tend to be more attractive - but not always the case.

JVB66 replied on 27/04/2018 11:55

Posted on 27/04/2018 11:55

I would rather go a a site with a known good quality,as with mostly both clubs ,than as we have found in the recent past  when using other types of "unknown quality"sites and cost is secondary to our time away,

And when our outfit and many others have cost many thousands of pounds an add £84 off peak is not a problem

Tinwheeler replied on 27/04/2018 13:40

Posted on 27/04/2018 13:40

Each to their own. I don’t have any hard and fast rules about where I stay but pick the site most appropriate to my needs at the time.

My recent trip to a non-fac club site gave me change out of £15 p/n and let me benefit from decent service points and all else that club sites provide, except a facility block. Therefore, I don’t see the logic in dismissing club sites out of hand.

It strikes me as a little strange that people will strive to save a few quid a night when they will pay many, many thousands of £s for their outfits. undecided

tigerfish replied on 27/04/2018 13:48

Posted on 27/04/2018 13:48

TW & JVB I understand and accept your point about quality etc after paying many thousands of £s for the van etc.  But in a way you  are also making my point too, because  two of three years ago I would have unreservedly taken your stance.   But in the past few yours many CL's have really stepped up their game and are very good indeed!  Yes they vary,of course they do  but some are now very good indeed - and it is them that I use very happily indeed!

I can assure you I expect very high standards, and more and more often I find them!

TF

Tinwheeler replied on 27/04/2018 13:57

Posted on 27/04/2018 13:48 by tigerfish

TW & JVB I understand and accept your point about quality etc after paying many thousands of £s for the van etc.  But in a way you  are also making my point too, because  two of three years ago I would have unreservedly taken your stance.   But in the past few yours many CL's have really stepped up their game and are very good indeed!  Yes they vary,of course they do  but some are now very good indeed - and it is them that I use very happily indeed!

I can assure you I expect very high standards, and more and more often I find them!

TF

Posted on 27/04/2018 13:57

But why dismiss using club sites when bargains can be had, even on full facility sites?undecided

No way would I limit myself to only using club sites so it seems rather dogmatic to uphold the reverse, especially when location and cost may be to your advantage. 

Takethedogalong replied on 27/04/2018 14:31

Posted on 27/04/2018 14:31

Touring cheaply begins way beyond the sites. It starts with a cheap secondhand caravan, pulled by a reliable, suitable secondhand car. Or a decent secondhand motorhome for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Then you start to look at the cost of pitches, and what represents value for money, and fits the bill of your needs and where you want to stay. We use all sorts of sites, and hope that a trip away will average no more than £18-19 per night. But on that trip we may use a pitch at £20+, another at a fiver, depends on what we want. If you tour extensively like some do, then finding decent decent pitches at a good price keeps you on the road more. We used to be away an average of four months in a year. We couldn't do that at Club Site prices, except in Winter months, but easy using CLs. Now our trips are less due to personal circumstances, but we don't mind paying a bit more. Just done eight days away, HS, EHU, cafe on site, gorgeous location, total of £98. Money saved will pay for a cottage later in year! 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/04/2018 14:45

Posted on 27/04/2018 14:45

TDA, for you the site choice is part of the whole package and you'll consider anything if it suits your needs. You don’t automatically dismiss anything and that’s the way it is for most of us. It’s whats right on that particular occasion.👍🏻

tigerfish replied on 27/04/2018 16:24

Posted on 27/04/2018 16:24

TW, What makes you think that I automatically dismiss club sites? I don't and when I see one under £20 per night I will most certainly consider them.  Indeed I have often made use of Englethwait Hall on my way North, and sometimes The Wellington Site too. I just haven't needed them in the past few years.

You speak of personal freedom, and of course it is my personal choice not to pay more than £20 per night for any site unless it offers a spectacular advantage such as may be offered by Bunree and Onich and Trewithet.  There will of course be others too. But in each case I do exercise my right to research other sites in the same area.  Part of that reason is because I very much dislike the rigid regimentation that CC sites now enforce.  Again I do understand the reason for such regimentation, but I would submit that that in turn followed on for the CC decision to make use of every square inch of club site for more pitches!   The new almost overcrowding resulted in none awning pitches, awning pitches etc etc.  Remember the less crowded days before they came about?

There are those who point out that having spent many thousands on their vans or motorhomes that they are happy to pay whatever the club asks to use club sites.  Thats fine, I'm happy with that and do not criticise their decision.  I too have a van costing many thousands and I choose to make full use of the facilities it has to offer. on one of the new CL's offering much the same as a Club site except the Toilet block. I have my own!!

Best regards

TF

Cornersteady replied on 27/04/2018 16:58

Posted on 27/04/2018 16:58

So why pay double that and more for a CC Club site

the same argument could be made as to why did you but a Mercedes car when you could have bought a much cheaper car that does much the same as your present car? Because you wanted to?  It was best or first choice for you?

I personally want to pay for a club site as it gives me what I want. I have looked at CL's and for me they do not. CL's are second best for me, that's not to say they are second best for others, great they are best for you but you seem to be questioning what is right for myself and others. I  wouldn't use a CL but I don't question your choice at all.  

Sorry TF but a strange argument to say the cheapest way to tour is to stop using club sites, the cheapest way to do anything is to stop using that particular product or buy it cheaper, if you, or one, is happy about what you are buying. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook