Shopping around for Insurance

Pippah45 replied on 23/10/2017 20:01

Posted on 23/10/2017 20:01

Today I was sorting my caravan insurance - and as was suggested in a thread about this time last year - I asked for the "best price".  Last year they reduced my premium when I pointed out the caravan was a year older!  This year the chap had to go away and check in the Glasses?  book and again there was a reduction on the quote but he maintained they didn't do that automatically with the renewal quote BUT he also went on to say that they used the book to decide how much they would pay out in the event of a claim.  In other words you could insure your caravan for last years value but they wouldn't pay up!  Pretty cheeky I thought - but typical. 

PrestonDave replied on 23/10/2017 20:21

Posted on 23/10/2017 20:21

Works the opposite way round if you have new for old insurance, you have to up the price to the price of a new van or they will only pay out what you insured for.

compass362 replied on 24/10/2017 08:46

Posted on 24/10/2017 08:46

Cannot fault Saga , been with them for years on a new for old policy that beats everyone else hands down .👍

Tigi replied on 24/10/2017 19:18

Posted on 24/10/2017 19:18

I use and like SAGA as well they do have a habit like all insurers of hiking the price up each year more than is fair so a bit of negotiating is sometimes necessary.

replied on 24/10/2017 19:23

Posted on 24/10/2017 19:18 by Tigi

I use and like SAGA as well they do have a habit like all insurers of hiking the price up each year more than is fair so a bit of negotiating is sometimes necessary.

Posted on 24/10/2017 19:23

And why I stopped using them for our cars. I got tired of the ritual.

DSB replied on 25/10/2017 00:33

Posted on 25/10/2017 00:33

The Caravan and Motorhome Club caravan insurance may not be the cheapest, but I have found them excellent when it comes to making a claim.  I have heard folk who have had problems in claiming from various insurance companies, but when we had to make a claim when a van of ours was stolen, they dealt with the claim sensitively, efficiently and very fairly.  They may not be the cheapest, but I wouldn't use anyone else.  Just my personal experience.

David 

dmiller555 replied on 25/10/2017 08:22

Posted on 25/10/2017 00:33 by DSB

The Caravan and Motorhome Club caravan insurance may not be the cheapest, but I have found them excellent when it comes to making a claim.  I have heard folk who have had problems in claiming from various insurance companies, but when we had to make a claim when a van of ours was stolen, they dealt with the claim sensitively, efficiently and very fairly.  They may not be the cheapest, but I wouldn't use anyone else.  Just my personal experience.

David 

Posted on 25/10/2017 08:22

I started using them but when we changed our van I got a quote from the C&CC for the same new for old cover and changed to them. 

brue replied on 25/10/2017 09:07

Posted on 24/10/2017 19:23 by

And why I stopped using them for our cars. I got tired of the ritual.

Posted on 25/10/2017 09:07

We did too, the price hikes with Saga were ridiculous. We now insure several things together at a reduced rate with another insurer. However we use the club for the van as the rates are good.

replied on 25/10/2017 09:22

Posted on 25/10/2017 09:22

When I cancelled the insurance at the end of probably 5 years with Saga I phoned up before receiving renewals and informed them that I would not be renewing either policy and to send me full no claims details for my records.

Had we received our renewal figures yet?

No.

Did I wish to know what they were?

Go on then I'm game for a laugh.

£........................................................

Yep now I am reminded of why I am cancelling.

Did I wish to speak to a customer relations person (or whatever they are called)

No thanks!

SteveL replied on 25/10/2017 12:49

Posted on 25/10/2017 09:07 by brue

We did too, the price hikes with Saga were ridiculous. We now insure several things together at a reduced rate with another insurer. However we use the club for the van as the rates are good.

Posted on 25/10/2017 12:49

I get fed up with insurers continually trying it on. Trouble is they all seem as bad as one another. So you move your business because you get fed up and then the new insurer does the self same thing.  

Recently renewed our car insurances with Churchill, renewal quotes were ridiculous. Phoned up and wife's was reduced by £100 mine by £160. That brought them into line with other providers. In any other type of business, doing that sort of thing would be considered extortion.

I did consider moving my business to teach  them a lesson, but that is more work for me, so decided to take the easy option. Oh there excuse for the ridiculous figures " they are computer generated" perhaps it just thinks of a number and doubles it.😂

So far with the CAMC caravan insurance we have be OK with the renewal quotes.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook