Safefill Connection (Quick Question)

1Tracey1 replied on 12/07/2016 19:54

Posted on 12/07/2016 19:54

I feel a bit stupid asking this but....here goes. We are really happy with our safe fill in terms of cost and convenience.  The only issue is when we put it in the caravan, we have to tighten it with a spanner really really tight otherwise it leaks.  I wondered if this is normal?

We have nothing to compare it to as our caravan dealer connected our only calor bottle before we changed to Safefill.  I know it will need to be tight but we have to use all of our strength to get it tight enough.  When I loosened it today I struggled to get it untightened initially but once I made the first turn, it comes off by hand.  Is this normal we are two females I might add.

Pippah45 replied on 12/07/2016 20:10

Posted on 12/07/2016 20:10

Tracey - I have had more difficulty with Calor than Safefill - just before I swapped I had assistance from a warden with what I call plumbers tape - it has a new name these days but it was required!  When I bought the Safefill I got a stainless steel hose with a "tap" so no spanner (which is just as well as there is very little space in my locker!).  All the same size etc but so much easier.  There is always a slight hiss when you first connect up but only slight.  I would certainly consider investing in a Stainless Connector hose with spindle it has simplified things so much.  The other end is the same as normal so spanner needed for first connection. 

Merve replied on 12/07/2016 20:48

Posted on 12/07/2016 20:48

Yes, I would agree with Pippah  Tracey. I have had no problems with any of my SF cylinders. The SS tails last much longer and the ones with the hand wheel on does away with the need for a spanner. The hand wheel can be tightened easily to avoid leakage and undone just as easily. Don't hang on the spanner as you could damage the product. You certainly should not have to use all you strength to achieve a leak free connection. You could always ring Safefill for advice- they are very helpful and hate any problems with their products. 

replied on 12/07/2016 20:56

Posted on 12/07/2016 20:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

1Tracey1 replied on 14/07/2016 19:28

Posted on 14/07/2016 19:28

I am not sure what connector I have so when I take my gas bottle back to the caravan on Sat (I've just filled it up for £7 Happy ) I shall upload a photo and maybe someone can tell me if I need to change something.  If i have the same connections as others I may give safefill a ring before I try the scotchbrite method.  thanks for your responses.

Pippah45 replied on 15/07/2016 19:47

Posted on 15/07/2016 19:47

You have probably got the standard black rubber one - which is most widely used but apparently they can leak dirt into the system.  I think the stainless steel one was around £20 when I got it as opposed to less than £10.

Tirril replied on 15/07/2016 20:10

Posted on 15/07/2016 20:10

I have found screwing the pigtail onto the Safefill feels a little different than to a Calor. With Calor you feel the thread start to tighten up  with the last turn or two, whereas with the Safefill it seems not to tighten until it is fully locked on. However the valve on the Safefill when pressed against the pigtail gives a slight hiss and becomes totally sealed. I put this down to  a safety feature when refilling the cylinder.

wye replied on 15/07/2016 20:55

Posted on 15/07/2016 20:55

Having just purchased the 10 ltr safefill , I have not used it yet , been looking at the stainless steel pigtails Amazon have at 20 quid , they have the finger wheel and the spanner head types , advice please 

Tirril replied on 16/07/2016 13:53

Posted on 16/07/2016 13:53

I have the same size 10kg Safefill which is brilliant. I am still using the rubber hose pigtailed supplied by Bailey. I have been considering getting the Gaslow stainless pigtail but my dealer only had the shortest length (45CM) in stock. I would prefer the next size up so that the tubing dips in a curve below the valve on the cylinder. The Safefill is taller than the usual Calor so the shorter pigtail runs level from the regulator on my set up. Allthough less important when using stainless steel tubing it is generally considered best to have a droop in the tubing to prevent oiling which can block the gas supply. Having said that I have not yet experienced any problems in over 18 months with my current set up. I would buy the wheel model rather than the spanner as in my outfit there is not a lot of room to use a spanner due to the height of the Safefill.

Pippah45 replied on 16/07/2016 15:06

Posted on 16/07/2016 15:06

Having just purchased the 10 ltr safefill , I have not used it yet , been looking at the stainless steel pigtails Amazon have at 20 quid , they have the finger wheel and the spanner head types , advice please 

Write your comments here...I love my finger wheel and it's almost essential as I have the big bottle and very little space to wield a spanner!  N downside that I have seen.  I now have finger wheel on other outdoor stuff too.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook