Radio - wind-up, solar, rechargeable...

Hedgehurst replied on 13/02/2017 20:23

Posted on 13/02/2017 20:23

I've been very inspired by the "non EHU survival" thread here, it's got me thinking. And we're just at the start of our caravanning!
Has anyone made use of wind-up, solar, or rechargeable radios? We don't intend to take a TV with us, but do like a bit of radio. There's always battery powered ones, but it's good to use less batteries, they're far from green!

I've read a few reviews on Amazon, (not that I'm ever buying anything there, but that's yet another thread!) but you can never be sure who's really written them & how independent they are. Some seem to be useful, others appear to need vastly more time winding or charging than listening.
Any comments or information welcome, please.

Thanks,

Richard

Simon100 replied on 13/02/2017 20:52

Posted on 13/02/2017 20:52

I have one of these and it works really well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-DAB-Digital-Solar-Radio/dp/B003GM62PQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487019071&sr=1-1&keywords=roberts+solar+dab+2

I got it from Amazon!

ValDa replied on 13/02/2017 21:00

Posted on 13/02/2017 21:00

We have a wind-up radio which also has a solar panel, and it works fine.  The one snag is that it nearly always 'runs out' at an exciting bit of the plot, or during your favourite piece of music!

Takethedogalong replied on 13/02/2017 22:35

Posted on 13/02/2017 22:35

We have used all sorts of radios while camping and caravanning down the years! Wind up ones are ok, but as ValDa says, they don't last long! Why not embrace technology, and charge your smart phone while on the go in your car, and use a small speaker if you are sharing sound or earphones if listening solo? The sound quality and reliability are far superior to much of yesterday's gadgets.

We take a small Bluetooth speaker with us nowadays, and link it to either IPhone or iPad. All can be charged through USB in car, or adapter, and we do it while on the move, so very eco!

Merve replied on 14/02/2017 15:44

Posted on 14/02/2017 15:44

Certainly something worth considering Richard. And a good idea. I like Valdas Idea with its own solar cell - very sexy! Batteries are not the most environmentally friendly thing but, as long as they are recycled properly so they can be dealt with, I don't see too many problems. Its when people start chucking them anywhere including the countryside that they become a problem.TTDA has a great idea and does similar to me. I have data with me so I can keep up to date with what's going on. Not that I listen to the BBC, I want the truth! - so its alternative media for me and that is the internet Im afraid.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/02/2017 16:00

Posted on 14/02/2017 16:00

Just had a look at the make of the Bluetooth speaker I bought my OH, it is from Archeer. About 10x4x5 inches, length, width, depth, so very compact, easily travels in one of our little top lockers in MH. Sound it produces though is superb. I will try and post a link, it is an Amazon site, but like you, we try and avoid things via Amazon!

http://www.archeer.com/Bluetooth-Speaker,Archeer-Stereo-Bluetooth-4_0-Speaker-Home-Theater-Bookshelf-Speakers-Home-Speaker-Portable-Bluetooth-Audio-System-for-Bedroom-Livingroom-p-40.html

ABM replied on 14/02/2017 20:07

Posted on 14/02/2017 20:07

I've  got  a  Roberts  D A B / F.M.  radio  with  rechargables

in  it   along  with  a  charger  of  a  different  make  which 

will  recharge  alkalines  as  well

Doubtless  those  with  Solar  Panels  & perverters  will

make  use  of  that    system

B

oooh,  Sorry  embarassed  my  fingers  are   playing  games   !!

Pippah45 replied on 15/02/2017 09:23

Posted on 15/02/2017 09:23

I have a Roberts wind up - with rechargeable batteries in too but I don't use the radio a lot - tends to be in remote places with no TV signal - trying to get a weather forecast or the news. 

brue replied on 15/02/2017 09:38

Posted on 15/02/2017 09:38

I have a cheap and cheerful Duronic radio, it's wind up and solar (fm and am) The solar has worked well for several years. I also had a Roberts solar and rechargeable battery radio, it was expensive and stopped working and I won't be buying another one! Because I listen to the radio quite a lot I treated myself to a Sony usb charged pocket radio (dab and fm.) See here (look for better prices on amazon etc.) It is the best little radio I've found, although tiny the sound is excellent and I can charge it up easily from a usb socket or solar charger.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook