New Mersey Crossing Toll.

dennisd replied on 14/09/2017 11:19

Posted on 14/09/2017 11:19

The new bridge crossing the Mersey between Runcorn and Widnes is due to open very soon and so a route that was free will now be tolled both ways -  £2.00  Class 2 vehicle/caravan  , £6.00 for class 3 vehicles. This will could mean a £12 return toll for some MH. Perhaps the club could negotiate a similar deal we have for  the M6 toll.

statusMoty1 replied on 14/09/2017 16:35

Posted on 14/09/2017 16:35

We have just registered and get a 10% discount but you need to have a pre pay card. With the old jubilee bridge shutting then reopening also as a toll and the Mersey tunnel toll as well it was the lesser of the 3 evils apart from a detour on the M62 which would cost more in fuel. It would be nice if the club did something for us all up here.

Phishing replied on 15/09/2017 22:45

Posted on 15/09/2017 22:45

Another case of infrastructure outside of London being paid for by the locals. Can you imagine the uproar if they shut a main bridge in the capital and reopened as a toll bridge!

Charging is a disgrace, this bridge is essential.

Good job I dont have to pay 380% fuel duty and £500 a year road tax, oh hang on a minute!

Good job my boss is going to give me an extra £1000 a year to compensate for this, I am sure he will, oh no hang-on again!

Boycot the bridge, we have managed for two years without this route dont let them profit from basic infrastructure projects.

3 routes across the Mersey, all toll, disgrace.

SteveL replied on 16/09/2017 08:39

Posted on 16/09/2017 08:39

Apparently if you happen to live in Halton you can qualify for a pass at an annual cost of £10 a year.

obbernockle replied on 16/09/2017 10:41

Posted on 16/09/2017 10:41

Just be thankful that you don't have to pay for the Severn bridges which are currently £6.70 for a car. The toll is going to be dropped at the end of next year, after we have paid for the entire cost of building and maintenance. Compare this to the new bridge in Scotland which is totally free of charge. The bridge/tunnel over the Thames is free of charge. Governments always throw public money at projects in the capital cities and deny the provinces of investment.

SteveL replied on 16/09/2017 11:12

Posted on 16/09/2017 10:41 by obbernockle

Just be thankful that you don't have to pay for the Severn bridges which are currently £6.70 for a car. The toll is going to be dropped at the end of next year, after we have paid for the entire cost of building and maintenance. Compare this to the new bridge in Scotland which is totally free of charge. The bridge/tunnel over the Thames is free of charge. Governments always throw public money at projects in the capital cities and deny the provinces of investment.

Posted on 16/09/2017 11:12

Which bridge / tunnel over the Thames do you mean. Because although the Dart Crossing looks free (no toll booths) you will get a penalty notice unless you pay for your crossing online.

JVB66 replied on 16/09/2017 18:57

Posted on 15/09/2017 22:45 by Phishing

Another case of infrastructure outside of London being paid for by the locals. Can you imagine the uproar if they shut a main bridge in the capital and reopened as a toll bridge!

Charging is a disgrace, this bridge is essential.

Good job I dont have to pay 380% fuel duty and £500 a year road tax, oh hang on a minute!

Good job my boss is going to give me an extra £1000 a year to compensate for this, I am sure he will, oh no hang-on again!

Boycot the bridge, we have managed for two years without this route dont let them profit from basic infrastructure projects.

3 routes across the Mersey, all toll, disgrace.

Posted on 16/09/2017 18:57

The congestion charge in the capital also the low emmisions zone are more than a charge to use the very old bridges over the Thames and the Dart Crossing is also a toll crossing both ways

statusMoty1 replied on 17/09/2017 17:42

Posted on 16/09/2017 08:39 by SteveL

Apparently if you happen to live in Halton you can qualify for a pass at an annual cost of £10 a year.

Posted on 17/09/2017 17:42

If you live in Halton it is free to cross but you have to pay a one off registration fee of £5.....as does everyone else who registers but they then have to pay to cross, it would be Interesting to know how much they make on the registration fee alone.undecided

Metheven replied on 17/09/2017 18:26

Posted on 17/09/2017 18:26

'phishing', A new bridge has been built across the Mersey, do you think chocolate buttons paid for it, as someone out of town I will use it if necessary as I will with any toll to make life easier for me. Of course there is always the long way around, or public transport.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/09/2017 18:35

Posted on 17/09/2017 18:35

Tolls are a fact of life if you want to cross the Tamar. We've been paying on the bridge since 1961 and on the ferries long before that. Somebody has to pay for these structures and they are of enormous benefit. Like most things in life, if we use it for convenience, we should pay for the privilege.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook