How to survive a non 240v hook up site

Criky replied on 29/06/2014 14:03

Posted on 29/06/2014 14:03

Certified Locations are terrific but I find that many in the 'right' place do not have 240v hook up and can be expensive for the privilege. So how do I stretch my leisure battery to last the week?

Many of my 'luxuries' have charging facility but mostly only on 240v.

Laptop; MP3 player; Torch (big one); Camera battery charger; mobile phone; rechargeable toothbrush; etc.

Firstly I have needed to replace my 8 year old ailing battery and chose a 115 Amp from Halfords - £89. Seems fair value.

Secondly I have bought a Power Inverter. This is plugged into the cigarette socket in my car and converts the 12v to 240v with a normal household 3 pin socket built in. These have to used with some care and the 300W version I have purchased  will not boil a kettle!  But it will allow you to plug in one or more of the various items needing a 3 pin socket for charging. Every time you drive the car - it will charge.

I chose a 300W 'Bestek' from Amazon at some £25 and I think it will do the job. This model also has two usb ports which accommodate a couple of my items capable of recharge by this socket.

Any other ideas for a non 240 site?  I already carry candles for evening light  and solar panels only provide 12v battery recharge.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook