How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Hedgehurst replied on 13/12/2018 21:13

Posted on 13/12/2018 08:27 by Oneputt

We decided that we didn't need an inverter as we can charge camera batteries, phones, i-pads etc using 12 volts.

Posted on 13/12/2018 21:13

Same decision here. We've yet to try a long stretch, but for 5 nights with a solar panel everything worked fine and showed no signs of being unhappy.

cyberyacht replied on 14/12/2018 07:57

Posted on 14/12/2018 07:57

Off-grid we are unable to use the microwave or charge the E-bike batteries so it is a bit limiting without an inverter.

young thomas replied on 14/12/2018 08:30

Posted on 14/12/2018 08:30

we like THS sites that generally have no EHU and the ebike charging is important, too.

we've had Sky for ages and with a mains only set top box, we had the inverter for that in our fist van ten years ago, pre ebikes.

even a 500w inverter will do for the ebikes and is easy to install as ours came with nice thick cables to attach directly to the leisure batteries.

its mounted close to them, to minimise losses, and then I have an extension cable running back to the garage where the chargers live.

Tirril replied on 17/12/2018 20:17

Posted on 17/12/2018 20:17

I'm having problems with a 2 year old 11kg Safefill cylinder valve. If disconnected (to refill) then reconnected no gas flows. The only way is to screw the regulator back on tight and then partly unscrew a turn or so then open the valve to let some gas escape. Once it does I can screw the assembly back tight and no gas escape but it flows as normal.It seems like the valve is sticking. Anybody else had this problem.

Tirril replied on 18/12/2018 21:47

Posted on 18/12/2018 08:19 by cyberyacht

Are you sure it's not a problem with the regulator?

Posted on 18/12/2018 21:47

No other bottles work fine and once I have gone through the above procedure then the Safefill runs ok. Definitely a problem with the Safefill valve sticking

Merve replied on 08/01/2019 16:45

Posted on 12/12/2018 10:32 by stevo554

Hi Merv,

I have fitted a 200 watt SP with MPPT controller, 2 x LDF90 batteries and a 1500 watt inverter.  I fitted a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor with shunt.  However what concern me currently is that at this time of year, the solar panel is not able to fully charge the batteries up each day.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in anticipation

Stevo 

Posted on 08/01/2019 16:45

Hi Steveo,

Sorry , I’ve been away for a time. I have to say that , like BB, my batteries stay full all year and I went to the Caravan yesterday at storage and the battery was full. I have an alarm running off the system at all times and my inverter is switched off at this time of year. I can’t see that the battery monitor is taking much power- is there anything welsh on the system.?.?

A 200 SP is a nice size and should be able to do the business. Mine is 135w and as I say, provides all the power I need ( although I am looking to upgrade) Although the winter skies are nothing compared to the summer skies there should still be enough bright days to maintain the batteries. Look at your system and check that you haven’t any ‘drain’ you don’t know about.

Merve replied on 08/01/2019 16:47

Posted on 18/12/2018 21:47 by Tirril

No other bottles work fine and once I have gone through the above procedure then the Safefill runs ok. Definitely a problem with the Safefill valve sticking

Posted on 08/01/2019 16:47

Sorry to hear that tirril- Have you contacted SF? Nice to see you on here again! 

Merve replied on 08/01/2019 17:20

Posted on 12/12/2018 12:40 by stevo554

Thanks for the comments guys,

If I shut the system down (sargent black button) there is no drain, but with the system live I'm drawing around 1 amp (alarm, victron mppt, shunt etc) When the sun is out I can see that charge is going into the batteries.  Currently the caravan (swift Conqueror 480 2015) is at home so I can monitor everything via bluetooth using the Victron APP, which I must say is brilliant.

The inverter is switched off and when on only runs 1 x mains socket, this is for camera battery charging and the "OH" 1200 watt hair dryer to be used for 4 minutes max!! every  second day.  Suggestions of crew cut didn't go down well!!

What was concerning me was that if we were away and actually using power, lighting, Alde pump etc, I'm not convinced I can keep the batteries going.  I have fitted both batteries in parallel and uprated the cables to 200 amps.  My next task is to uprate the 12 volt feeds to the battery/fridge from the 13 pin socket which is woefully under specced!!

I have also purchased a safefill bottle, but not used it in anger as yet.  

Just now need to find a list of wild camping sites available for caravans both in the UK and france.

Posted on 08/01/2019 17:20

As regards your last point Stevo, With the new 19/20 map and book out, I have spent a productive 3 or 4 hrs highlighting all the non EHU sites both in the book and on the map. I find it really useful particularly on the map as when I open it , it is immediately apparent where the non EHU sites are- saves time looking in the book as you know the number of the site immediately. I have emailed the club to see if it’s possi to use a different colour for non EHU sites both in the book and on the map- green would be my choice, It would be an improvement and would save time both for EHU users and non EHUers alike. I’m not holding my breath!!

richardandros replied on 09/01/2019 06:36

Posted on 17/12/2018 20:17 by Tirril

I'm having problems with a 2 year old 11kg Safefill cylinder valve. If disconnected (to refill) then reconnected no gas flows. The only way is to screw the regulator back on tight and then partly unscrew a turn or so then open the valve to let some gas escape. Once it does I can screw the assembly back tight and no gas escape but it flows as normal.It seems like the valve is sticking. Anybody else had this problem.

Posted on 09/01/2019 06:36

I think this happened to mine (7.5kg bottle) but I'm not sure because I'm new to Safefill and have a new Knaus Starclass that I'm still getting used to. It has an automatic change-over valve on the regulator and when I connected the bottle for the first time, nothing happened.  I checked the handwheel connection on the bottle to make sure it was tight - which it was - and then slackened it off.  There was a slight escape of gas and after tightening it again, the gas flowed.

My only reservation is that, according to the info at handover, the regulator has a safety feature that if there's a leak, it automatically shuts off - so it could also have been that.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook