How much do you pay for your gas ?

Bob2112 replied on 22/06/2016 19:16

Posted on 22/06/2016 19:16

Just cost me £32 for 2.75 kg of butane. A camping gaz 907 is the only thing that fits in my van but to make matters worse I gave them back 0.75 kg because I needed a full bottle  for Silverstone .l don't use much gas and mostly rely on a solar panel but CampingGaz make Dick Turpin look like a benevolent gentleman. Anyone with a campervan got a better solution ?

Pippah45 replied on 22/06/2016 19:52

Posted on 22/06/2016 19:52

I am not so familiar with your set up - but that is highway robbery!  My feeling is that if you got a Safefill small cylinder and had it free standing (maybe outside the van) when parked up - you could solve the problem.  Although I must admit I am not sure about the fitments you would need.  Isn't Camping Gaz Butane?  I am sure there is a way round your expensive problem! 

young thomas replied on 22/06/2016 19:54

Posted on 22/06/2016 19:54

ok its four times the price but Gaslow do a 907 refillable at £130.

the refills would then be peanuts....50p a ltr tops....

think of it as an investment....ypu could sell it on ebay at anytime and get most of ypur money back, in the meantime no rip off gaz prices...

Bob2112 replied on 22/06/2016 21:58

Posted on 22/06/2016 21:58

Gaslow is tempting but it would take 5 years to break even and at my age I am reluctant to buy green bananas.

kaenergas replied on 22/06/2016 22:11

Posted on 22/06/2016 22:11

Please note

For safety reasons gas cylinders supplying gas to the caravan should not be used from a cylinder outside of the gas locker when on site, (static caravans have there own regulations) 

kind regards, Ken

Vicmallows replied on 22/06/2016 22:16

Posted on 22/06/2016 22:16

I suppose you could refill the 907s from a large bottle yourself......but heresey, and not to be mentioned on this siteSad

young thomas replied on 23/06/2016 08:11

Posted on 23/06/2016 08:11

Gaslow is tempting but it would take 5 years to break even and at my age I am reluctant to buy green bananas.

appreciate that Bob, hovever for those buying tiny quantities in tiny cylinders, you are being charged top dollar for your gas as opposed to those who get it in its cheapes form from a pump.

some might only have small capacity but use a fair bit and the investment in a refillable offsets the regular 'pain' of a £25 refill...

some, like you, dont use much gas, but still get a shock every time they get charged the eye watering price.....its at this time they are feeling like there 'must be a better way', hence your post....

as i said, it won't take you five years to break even as, at the end of 5 yrs, youll have a £75+ asset to sell.....so, the system will have only 'cost' you around £55...

either way, its a case of looking at some sort of change or bear the brunt of an ever increasing price for Campingaz, im afraid.

ps....i like green bananas, but once theyre gone, theyre gone....you can use them for five years and then sell them back to so eone for half their original valueWink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook