Energy Saving Tips

Redstone replied on 30/09/2022 17:09

Posted on 30/09/2022 17:09

Hi all,

I am writing a piece for the Caravan & Motorhome Club Magazine and would love to include some of our members' tips on how to save energy both on the road and on site.

Looking to hear from anyone who has installed/embraced solar energy or researches the best fuel prices to use en route. Any particular gadgets that have come in handy? Is it better to use a kettle or boil a pan for a cup of tea? Have you discovered a brilliant way of heating your caravan or motorhome?

Whatever your tips, I would love to hear from you. You can comment below of contact me at janemcgowan5@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Jane

Tinwheeler replied on 30/09/2022 17:37

Posted on 30/09/2022 17:37

Another article for the club mag, Jane? 

The fact that you posted asking this latest question tells me you’re not a regular reader of this forum as many of the posts in this very section will give you a good start.

Good luck in your quest.

brue replied on 01/10/2022 13:36

Posted on 01/10/2022 13:36

You'll find that metered pitching is frequently discussed on here as a way of reducing energy costs.

replied on 02/10/2022 16:26

Posted on 02/10/2022 16:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2022 17:23

Posted on 01/10/2022 13:36 by brue

You'll find that metered pitching is frequently discussed on here as a way of reducing energy costs.

Posted on 02/10/2022 17:23

How? To someone in their caravan/MH either metered or not the cost of the electricity they use will be the same?

It might be one is more 'frugal' but one could do that either with or without metering? In any case I think the OP is asking for tips on saving money and if it's for the club magazine then the readers will be using club sites where metering is not an option or CL's where it could be.  

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2022 17:33

Posted on 02/10/2022 17:33

If I was still at work, I would say do your own homework but I'm not so I won'twink

Ok so:

Always buy fuel at supermarkets or use google to find the cheapest places and plan well ahead to avoid the more expensive petrol stations. I always fill up before towing and sometimes in the evening before the next day of towing.

Often hot air heating ducts go under and outside the caravan so if that is the case make sure they are lagged. 

Best way to heat? I always use electricity, is heating by gas cheaper? Do some research, but gas is less efficient than electricity, from recall 30% of the heat produced by gas is lost through the flue while it's almost 100% from electric.

Also not sure why you think using a kettle is using less or more electricity than a pan (it will take (almost) the same. If you're comparing gas v electric again the same energy will be used though again differing costs, 

Infra-red heaters are better than fan heaters, and certainly better in awningssmile

(You may want to leave that part about awning heaters off)

replied on 02/10/2022 18:03

Posted on 02/10/2022 17:33 by Cornersteady

If I was still at work, I would say do your own homework but I'm not so I won'twink

Ok so:

Always buy fuel at supermarkets or use google to find the cheapest places and plan well ahead to avoid the more expensive petrol stations. I always fill up before towing and sometimes in the evening before the next day of towing.

Often hot air heating ducts go under and outside the caravan so if that is the case make sure they are lagged. 

Best way to heat? I always use electricity, is heating by gas cheaper? Do some research, but gas is less efficient than electricity, from recall 30% of the heat produced by gas is lost through the flue while it's almost 100% from electric.

Also not sure why you think using a kettle is using less or more electricity than a pan (it will take (almost) the same. If you're comparing gas v electric again the same energy will be used though again differing costs, 

Infra-red heaters are better than fan heaters, and certainly better in awningssmile

(You may want to leave that part about awning heaters off)

Posted on 02/10/2022 18:03

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2022 18:06

Posted on 02/10/2022 18:03 by

... but gas is less efficient than electricity, from recall 30% of the heat produced by gas is lost through the flue while it's almost 100% from electric.

As fr as I'm aware no where near 100% of electrically produce heat is lost through a [the] flue.  I'm not even sure electric equipment uses flues.  😂😂😂 

Posted on 02/10/2022 18:06

Indeed, you must have missed my correction DD? The one before your post? 

replied on 02/10/2022 18:11

Posted on 02/10/2022 17:58 by Cornersteady

while it's almost 100% from electric.

I meant almost 100% of the electrical energy is transferred to heat.

Posted on 02/10/2022 18:11

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2022 18:11

Posted on 02/10/2022 16:26 by

Change all the circuit breakers for to 6 amp rather than 16 amp.  Enough to to boil a 1000W kettle charge the van battery and provide a bit of water heating when not boiling the kettle.  

Change the shower controls and taps to push button.   Alternatively, timed showers.  Each paying customer given one shower token for each paid day for a five minute shower.  

Posted on 02/10/2022 18:11

I think the OP is looking at tips from members in their use of their outfits DD and not what the club could do. 

...would love to include some of our members' tips on how to save energy both on the road and on site.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook