Which Awning?

matthewantonyjohnson replied on 24/01/2019 13:26

Posted on 24/01/2019 13:26

Afternoon, 

After some advice please, my family and I have recently been given a Caravan and am very much looking forward to getting back into something I haven't done since around the age of 11!

So, we have a Bailey Senator Series 6 California - 2009, 3 kids (6, 7 &13) and 2 dogs. I am on the lookout for the best awning to purchase.

It needs to be big enough for a table for us all and the dog cages too and will also need to have an annex that will offer enough room for my 13 year old sons air bed and all his things.

Any suggestions (new or old) appreciated, quite like the idea of the air awnings! We will only use the caravan in nicer weather so we wont need something suitable for the winter conditions.

TIA for your help!

Wildwood replied on 25/01/2019 11:45

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:45

Air awnings are far easier to erect but can be very heavy as the tubes are built in where with conventional awnings you get the poles in another bag. Before buying one do check you are happy to carry the weight.

This is a very long caravan so a full awning will be expensive but with what you want in the awning a full one looks the best bet although a part one near the length of the caravan should work. The advantage of the latter is simply that if you change the caravan the awning should still fit where a full one probably will not.

As to what to buy, your budget will probably make the decision for you.There is a vast choice, and what is best for you is not something anyone can easily answer.

The best ones will cost over 2,000 but although they will be very good they will possibly be out of your range. Basically buy the best you can afford, as like with all things you tend to get what you pay for. The very cheap ones tend to be just that and might not survive the abuse children might subject it to.

Personally I would visit a good sized showroom and see what they have to suit you, at that price you will get help and advice, but do remember you are dealing with a salesman.Feel the material, check the stitching and zips to see if they feel right.

You might save some money using the internet but do ask yourself if the saving is worthwhile as if there are problems it is easier to deal with someone just down the road than 100 miles away.

commeyras replied on 25/01/2019 14:05

Posted on 25/01/2019 14:05

Yes a visit to a dealer should enable you to see the options available.  Would not a small tent be an option for your 13 yr old rather than an annex to your awning? 

Whittakerr replied on 25/01/2019 14:42

Posted on 25/01/2019 14:42

In my opinion Isabella make the best quality awnings and have a good range. I have got two, a small porch awning and a full size 3m deep awning.

They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Isabella also offer a alteration service and can extend or reduce the size of your awning (with limits) if you change caravans and need a different size awning.

richardandros replied on 26/01/2019 15:09

Posted on 26/01/2019 15:09

We have two awnings - a Kampa 390 Grande which is extremely good - full 3m deep, excellent quality, single inflation point but was quite expensive (approx £900+), very heavy and difficult to dry after having to pack it away wet.

We also have a Sunncamp Air 390 which we tend to use in winter because being lightweight it's much easier to dry.  Not quite as much space as the Kampa but still quite roomy.  Easy to erect although it doesn't have single point inflation. It's our second Sunncamp and I have been very pleased with both the quality and features.  We 'only' paid £350 for it, so a much cheaper option than the Kampa and I would like to think it will give many years of use.  So although I am a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' - there are some viable alternatives to consider.

markflip replied on 30/01/2019 10:09

Posted on 30/01/2019 10:09

Personally I'd check out gumtree/ebay etc and the classifieds on here for an awning, especially if you're new to this and unsure.  If you buy a second hand awning that turns out to be unsuitable, you can resell it for what you bought it for, whereas an unsuitable brand new awning is a very expensive mistake to make!  Also, if you buy a second hand one that is perfect, you can always resell that and buy a brand new version if you want to, confident that it will be 100% right for you.  I've been really impressed with our Kampa Rallye with annexe (metal poled version) that i bought second hand last year for under £100.  I know air awnings are super easy to erect, but for me putting 4 poles in isn't much of a chore at all (especially when the pegging the thing down will take exactly the same time).

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook