Which Air Awning?

gatewaya89 replied on 17/11/2017 15:14

Posted on 17/11/2017 15:14

Hi All

Looking to purchase an air awning but read different articles about different ones and still none the wiser!

I think it has come down to 3! All are from the Vango range

The first is the Varkala 2 or 3 2017 or 2018 size 390 0r 420 I think? reading all about this one seems to tick all the boxes.

However another contender is the Bremar again good reviews same sizes roughly, looks good and am looking at the 400cm in this range.

Last but not least is the Sonoma II 400 another different look with 2 areas to sit in and overall wider I think than most at 280cm

So that's the 3 on offer! Any users out there of any of these? what do you think of your awning?

await any replies and thanks to all that contribute to discussion.

Milothedog replied on 17/11/2017 15:47

Posted on 17/11/2017 15:14 by gatewaya89

Hi All

Looking to purchase an air awning but read different articles about different ones and still none the wiser!

I think it has come down to 3! All are from the Vango range

The first is the Varkala 2 or 3 2017 or 2018 size 390 0r 420 I think? reading all about this one seems to tick all the boxes.

However another contender is the Bremar again good reviews same sizes roughly, looks good and am looking at the 400cm in this range.

Last but not least is the Sonoma II 400 another different look with 2 areas to sit in and overall wider I think than most at 280cm

So that's the 3 on offer! Any users out there of any of these? what do you think of your awning?

await any replies and thanks to all that contribute to discussion.

Posted on 17/11/2017 15:47

Can't help with which awning, although I'm happy with my Bradcot Air Aspire that I bought for our previous caravan (a Coachman Amara)

It fitted perfectly, but when we viewed our Elddis Avante 540, prior to buying it I did become aware that the awning would be an issue because the new caravan had different window positions. This means we now have to have the awning cover half of the window that is beside the fixed bed.

So my point is, make sure you know whatever you go for size wise is going to have a clear vertical space at each end against the side of the caravan. This includes lockers, gas points and anything else you may need to open or have access to.

richardandros replied on 17/11/2017 15:56

Posted on 17/11/2017 15:56

I wouldn't knock Vango since I still have a Force 10 tent I bought almost 40 years ago and it's still fine!!!!..... but one drawback (unless they have changed since last year's models) is that they have multiple inflation points which is a bit of a pain.  Our Kampa Air Pro 390 has a single one and with an electric pump is inflated in three minutes.

Totally agree with Milo in that with both our Kampa and the smaller Sunncamp, the deciding factor re which model was how they fitted around the windows and door etc.

Rod235 replied on 17/11/2017 16:46

Posted on 17/11/2017 16:46

We also have the Bradcot air aspire great quality and good looking when erect ( not floppy like some)!!A little heavy owing to the quality of the material also more expensive than some on the market but you only get what you pay for, so worth a look before you buy Ours is the 260 but available in 390 plus full awning.

BrianJosie replied on 17/11/2017 17:00

Posted on 17/11/2017 17:00

We have ordered a Kampa Rally Air Pro 360 XL .havent used one yet but will feed back on here when we have and let you know how we get on with it.

Brian & Jo

Outdoor Lady replied on 17/11/2017 17:57

Posted on 17/11/2017 17:57

We have the Kampa Rally Air Pro 360 XL we have used it 4 times so far. We have a few niggles with it, we find that if we are on a slope it doesn't sit right at the bottom as it is uneven, and like Milothedog said it can overlap one of the window in the bedroom but if we pull it back a bit so this doesn't happen then we can't open the door properly as the inflated tube is in the way but I have just found out that Kampa do foam wedges/blocks to push it away from the door, not sure how this will work yet.  We love the awning as in our opinion it looks good and very easy to erect but very heavy when erecting and transporting. We have a Hymer B774 and the measurements were right for this awning but we wonder if the bigger might possibly have been better then it would fit better at the bottom as very often there is a slope of some sort.

EmilysDad replied on 17/11/2017 19:21

Posted on 17/11/2017 19:21

We bought a Kampa Air 400. As Outdoor Lady says, they're not good when pitched on a slope, & despite storm straps, ours isn't brilliant in strong side on winds. I wouldn't buy another.

ihatew0rk replied on 17/11/2017 19:50

Posted on 17/11/2017 19:50

I bought a Sunncamp Swift Air 260 porch awning and have to say it's amazing value for money. Quality is good and so easy to use. 

Simon100 replied on 17/11/2017 20:06

Posted on 17/11/2017 20:06

I have a Varkala 420. A great awning and has survived some heavy weather. Easy to put up and take down. I don't have a problem with the multiple inflation points. It takes me only a few minutes to inflate once the corners are pegged down by which time my wife has already inflated the cross beams ready for installation. 

Excellent customer support as well.

rjb replied on 17/11/2017 20:07

Posted on 17/11/2017 20:07

I have vango varkala had it now for 4 years very good awning no problems very well made easy to erect very good quality 

TonyIshUK replied on 17/11/2017 20:26

Posted on 17/11/2017 20:26

my enthusiasm got the better of me and I purchased an air awning.

Problems arose when I tried to lift it ! I was used to having two or three bands which neatly fitted into spaces and distributed weight about. Now I have one bl@@dy great lump, that only just squeezes through the door, catching on the latches.

it is no quicker to peg out, as extra guys are needed on a windy day to stabilise the air frame. Pegging out the floor area takes the same time as the old awning.

my biggest faux pas was not realising that it had a fixed ground sheet, which means I have to pitch on a hard stand, unless I move the whole caboodle sideways and back when on grass.

One plus is that it is not as draughty as the old awning, and keeps warm When there is little sun on it.

rgds

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook