What satellite system?

Hastings campers replied on 20/06/2018 21:11

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:11

I thank all those who have replied to earlier requests as we have bought our new caravan -the Bailey Unicorn Cadiz. May I please ask you again for advice? We go to mainly Holland and Germany and Northern France, and so what satellite TV system should we go for. Cost, reliability in terms of reception, roof-mounted, with it not being too high, or a portable system. Or anything else that I might have missed, which is worth looking at. As ever, I thank all respondents in anticipation of  their time and advice.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/06/2018 00:08

Posted on 21/06/2018 00:08

An automatic system will always be more "trouble free" in terms of setting up than a free standing system as it does everything for you at a press of a button. However it depends on your budget limitations. A roof mounted automatic system will cost in the region of somewhere between £1000 and £2500 depending on model and size. You can save a bit of money by going for a 65cms dish but the problem with that is that if you ever want to travel further then you might have wished you invested in a larger dish. The cost of a free standing set up will be between £100 and £200 depending on the model and also whether your TV has a built in satellite receiver? One advantage of a portable dish is that you can at least move the dish into a position with a clear view of the sky. A roof mounted one does require more thought as to where to pitch. We have had both and now have a roof mounted system and I am not sure I would want to go back to a freestanding one.

David

old ludlovian replied on 21/06/2018 00:45

Posted on 21/06/2018 00:45

Having just come back from France Ho how the French love there trees on there sites all the fixed sat systems struggling to get a signal  had to use 25 m cable to get a signal in dordonge . Then back to Loire same again trees . Up to Calais area same again trees out with longer cable  so portable for me  pay your money take a chance

young thomas replied on 21/06/2018 09:29

Posted on 21/06/2018 09:29

notwithstanding the dish choice, just one quick point....

if you have Sky at home and you wish to continue to watch it whilst away, a to with a built in sat decoder will NOT be able to decode Sky signals.

you must have a Sky box (the one from home or a second box) and a viewing card.

just to add.....some decoders are Free to View which allow the free channels from Astra 2 to be viewed, free...

however, there are many other satellites stationed up in the sky but channels from these will require a Free To Air decoder to watch these...

a subtle but significant difference...

hitchglitch replied on 21/06/2018 11:13

Posted on 21/06/2018 11:13

As you go further South, apart from the inferior satellite reception for UK users, the pitches have more trees because of the higher sunshine levels.  The Dutch at our regular site at Bagnoles-sur-Ceze spend ages with their dishes and very long leads. All so that they can have the TV on all day long and not watch it! Generally it is far too hot to be indoors at any time.

Simon100 replied on 21/06/2018 20:17

Posted on 21/06/2018 20:17

I have replied to your request for information in a separate thread. Not sure why you have asked the same question in two places!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook