What layout would suit ?

adam22 replied on 27/09/2021 17:13

Posted on 27/09/2021 17:13

Hi - we are just beginning to think about which vans would suit us best.

we have a 4yr old, 2yr old and a baby 5months. 

we want to start around the end of this year ready for a full year next year. I’d plan to keep the first van for 3yrs+ or so.

I see that there are triple bunks on the market but also twin bunks - we don’t want to make the children’s beds up everyday so see bunks as a good option but I can’t figure out where the travel cot with baby would go, unless it fits in the dinette?? 

just looking for some tips on layout style that might suit us

many thanks 

KjellNN replied on 02/10/2021 21:21

Posted on 02/10/2021 21:21

Our daughter is  considering getting a caravan in a couple of years, she is looking at a Bailey Phoenix, the one with 2 bunks and a dinette opposite that makes a third bed, that would probably suit you too.

She only has 2 boys, 3 1/2 and 8 months, but there might just be a third in the future.

DSB replied on 04/10/2021 11:01

Posted on 04/10/2021 11:01

Hi Adam.  I would go along to your local caravan retailer and have a look at what they have.... you may see something that fits the bill.  In normal times, I would have suggested going along to the October Caravan & Motorhome show, but it isn't going ahead this year - they are hoping to do the show in October 2022.

Just be a bit wary of buying a caravan 'on-line'.... They are not all scammers, by any stretch of the imagination, but there are certainly stories of people who have been scammed.  As they say, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!!  If it's a used caravan you are looking for, be careful of damp... A damp van could cost a fair bit to repair, and some aren't worth repairing.  If someone says the caravan is damp free, check it out carefully, or better still, take someone with you who knows what to look for..  A new caravan should have a decent warranty.

Best of luck.... and don't us know how you get on.

David

Amesford replied on 04/10/2021 11:26

Posted on 04/10/2021 11:26

There is a caravan, camping & motorhome show at the NEC from Feb 22 to 27 but I think Adam is looking for a S/H van to start with but if buying from a show the dealer could be miles away so it could be a very long round trip for any warranty work 

DSB replied on 04/10/2021 11:57

Posted on 04/10/2021 11:26 by Amesford

There is a caravan, camping & motorhome show at the NEC from Feb 22 to 27 but I think Adam is looking for a S/H van to start with but if buying from a show the dealer could be miles away so it could be a very long round trip for any warranty work 

Posted on 04/10/2021 11:57

Hopefully the February show will go on, but I wondered if Adam was looking to buy sooner..  

We bought our last caravan from the NEC show, but we got a good deal from our local caravan dealer, who have serviced our van for years... just 4 miles down the road... 😀   It's certainly worth checking where the dealer is from, if you buy from one of the shows.

David

heddlo replied on 05/10/2021 08:11

Posted on 05/10/2021 08:11

Hi Adam, just a word of caution about triple bunks, not our own experience but my niece’s who has three boys.  They had this layout for a short time thinking it would be good but there is very little room in them and as the eldest got to about 6/7 he was complaining about it.  They now have the layout KjellNN suggested of a double bunk and a dinette opposite that coverts into a bed for the bigger one.

Navigateur replied on 05/10/2021 08:48

Posted on 05/10/2021 08:48

When my family resembled that of the OP we found the layout with a table at each end and a central kitchen and toilet to be ideal.  It is not only night time/sleeping that needs to be considered but also having a play area during daytime.

KjellNN replied on 05/10/2021 12:07

Posted on 05/10/2021 08:11 by heddlo

Hi Adam, just a word of caution about triple bunks, not our own experience but my niece’s who has three boys.  They had this layout for a short time thinking it would be good but there is very little room in them and as the eldest got to about 6/7 he was complaining about it.  They now have the layout KjellNN suggested of a double bunk and a dinette opposite that coverts into a bed for the bigger one.

Posted on 05/10/2021 12:07

Yes, triple bunks can be a bit short on headroom, that was why DD preferred the double bunk plus dinette.  The Bailey she is looking at also has an end shower room, with separate shower, so is not a small van.

I noticed it can get a good payload upgrade, having seen how much "stuff" small children seem to need, I thought that was essential.  Payloads these days are pretty miserable!

Cornersteady replied on 05/10/2021 12:17

Posted on 05/10/2021 12:17

Have a look at the Sprite major 6 TD (or it's Challenger equivalent), it has twin bunks on one side and a dinette on the other that converts into a bed easily at night. There is even a fourth bed you swing up above that too.  They are all quite long so should last while they are growing.  Also the dinette can easily sit a few children for during the day (power and tv sockets) while parents can sit at the front.  We have one and it was great, just as good now for only two or three of us.  

Cornersteady replied on 06/10/2021 11:26

Posted on 05/10/2021 20:02 by KjellNN

That too is a nice van, shower room is a bit smaller though.  

Posted on 06/10/2021 11:26

yes I suppose something has to go space wise? We are one of the ones that don't shower in the van and use the shower room for storage, mainly towels, shower cleaning stuff, and any wet outdoor clothing.

we have tried the shower and it's perfectly fine though a little constricted.   

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook