What is an experienced tow driver?

Greygit replied on 01/06/2016 08:13

Posted on 01/06/2016 08:13

Having driven large Motorhomes for quite some years we are about to take our maiden voyage in our first caravan, so we are looking for tips from the more experienced of you. So what is an experienced tow driver?

I should say we have bought the CC towing DVD and have read loads of advice on towing but it's the little tips from the more experienced amongst you we are after.  For example, slowing down when going downhill I am sure is not just about the brakes overheating, is it?

GG 

Tinwheeler replied on 01/06/2016 08:44

Posted on 01/06/2016 08:44

Slowing down going downhill is about preventing the tail wagging the dog. The caravan can try to overtake the car and you need to be in control. Several times I have seen overturned caravans on a bend at the bottom of a hill. Do everything slower, more gently, and earlier than you would driving solo.

JohnM20 replied on 01/06/2016 08:51

Posted on 01/06/2016 08:51

Check and then check again that the caravan is correctly and securely hooked up to the car before setting off.

Angle the car mirrors down a bit so that you can see the caravan wheels. Especially useful when going round tight bends / corners. Use the extension mirrors for general rear view.

Kennine replied on 01/06/2016 09:02

Posted on 01/06/2016 09:02

The ability to reverse the outfit safely under any conditions.  This is best learned by practice practice practice.

K

AlanAlde53 replied on 01/06/2016 09:07

Posted on 01/06/2016 09:07

Best tip is to just relax, enjoy the trip and don't get stressed.There is no need for it to become an endurance test

compass362 replied on 01/06/2016 09:29

Posted on 01/06/2016 09:29

Best tip is to just relax, enjoy the trip and don't get stressed.There is no need for it to become an endurance test

Write your comments here...I totally agree with everything that's written above it's sound sensible advice.

when  I started towing the main advice my brother in-law gave me was keep your o/s Caravan wheel on / near the central white line , that way you miss everything kerb side .

relax & enjoy the drive & don't make it a race

neveramsure replied on 01/06/2016 09:56

Posted on 01/06/2016 09:56

Some good advice from other posters already. I would just add that if your outfit is loaded correctly re nose weight etc; do not worry about every little twitch of the outfit while on the motorway, most of the time it is caused by ruts in the road made by heavy traffic use.

If you are already used to driving a heavy motorhome then you will already be aware of the extra time needed to pull out at a junction or roundabout but just watch out at motorway slip roads for the idiots who try to force their way on when you are in the nearside lane.

Most of all just stay cool and enjoy.Smile

Pippah45 replied on 01/06/2016 10:34

Posted on 01/06/2016 10:34

Great advice all round!  I had a co-driver some years ago despite being used to towing a trailer with livestock he kept making the tail wag the dog.  I finally sussed out his white knuckles on the steering wheel making very jerky reactions to everything, once I prised them off the wheel and got him to relax a bit we were a lot less waggly!  Wink

smjdmfsf replied on 01/06/2016 12:54

Posted on 01/06/2016 12:54

The best advice I can give is plan well ahead, always pull out to overtake on a motorway in plenty of time in a smooth gradual fashion, this requires constant monitoring of your mirrors. If your car has autocruise set it to a sensible speed and when going down hill reduce the speed on the autocruise this will enable the car engine to hold the vehicle back and will reduce brakes heating up. Most important as others have said is take your time never go beyond what you feel comfortable doing and enjoy.

lesbunny replied on 01/06/2016 15:10

Posted on 01/06/2016 15:10

Keep an eye on the drivers extension mirror especially on motorways as you can then see the box vans, coaches & some HGV's coming to overtake at speed & anticipate the bow wave that causes you to wobble. It can come as a shock, so I always move a little closer to the left when I see them. Also at corners, remember to turn a little later than usual so the van does not mount the kerb. Otherwise much of what has been said allready is good advice.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook